IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

24 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

UBI is generally a really interesting concept and the trials so far have been quite successful.

The world is rapidly changing and AI is already replacing jobs. Why pay someone to man security cameras when a little box of tricks can do it for you? That box of tricks doesn’t need breaks or a salary. Now multiply that across all kinds of areas. 

The problem then becomes, who do you tax to pay for that ubi? Security cameras aren’t easy to tax because they have no “income” and taxing business too much simply results in people declining to work  hard, or invest what they have, only to lose the greater part of the reward.

8 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Yes there's nothing to say that things have really changed in how the staff have operated, and the fact that there haven't been any outbreaks before now suggests the procedures were fairly safe and were followed.  But over a long enough time even low probability chances will likely happen, the important thing is how you react to them.  In this case the Manx Government followed their usual rule of trying to find someone to blame rather that trying to deal with the consequences.

One thing that did amuse me was Ashford's defence of not giving the police priority vaccination on the grounds that as it didn't stop transmission, they would still have to isolate etc and unless vulnerable they didn't need the extra disease-reduction that it would give them.  Which is a point I've made before myself, but it also undermines the priority that was given to health workers, though no one is rude enough to point this out.

The JVCi recommend vaccinating front line health workers but they don't recommend vaccinating ships crew or policemen ahead of the clinically vulnerable. Our government were (until recently) following international advice. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Newbie said:

In fairness, in Thursday's briefing, DA thanked Tim Glover for providing information relating to vaccination letters. He said there had been an issue which he apologised for and said that the information provided had been very helpful in identifying the problem. I agree it doesn't happen often.

And yesterday was quite clear that the issue was with the DHSC system interrogating accurately the GPs' system and that the GPs were doing all they could to help.  It was refreshing that he was so open about where the problem was. 

Its funny,  if you are open the "blame game" is avoided and there is a much more positive approach and understanding from the general public. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

The Chief Minister has not boasted endlessly and needlessly about how great the Island is re COVID. When interviewed by the UK and other media his responses have always been measured.

Nor has he exhibited any one upmanship about the Channel Islands. When we were in a better position than them (don’t know if we still are) he was always empathetic to their situation ( probably a reflection of his “there but for the grace of God” mentality). Indeed when the air bridge with Guernsey operated we were very much in partnership. Did you hear him dissing them?

Ourselves and the Channel Islands can always learn from each other and it would make little sense for the CM or statesmen from the other islands to antagonize each other in a game of who is best at dealing with COVID-19 

Make valid criticism by all means but don’t make stuff up.

I don’t know where to start in my critique of that post, so I’ll simply settle for this; in describing Quayle as a ‘statesman’ you either have a comedy dictionary or you trolled us to an Olympic standard. Which is it Howard?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Banker said:

Howies favorite other island have come through their latest wave and now hopeful of tourists this summer, hopefully we can to

https://guernseypress.com/news/2021/03/06/chief-minister-hopeful-of-tourism-return-in-summer/

Surely we don’t want tourists with the promenade in the state it is and the potholes everywhere. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

I don’t know where to start in my critique of that post, so I’ll simply settle for this; in describing Quayle as a ‘statesman’ you either have a comedy dictionary or you trolled us to an Olympic standard. Which is it Howard?

More than a touch of the Emperor's new clothes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Interesting how many people are still placing new adverts on Manx net for sale, even after being specifically told yesterday that the islands buy and sell sites should stop. Manx net should temporarily remove all ads in the same way the Facebook sites have had to stop.