IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

9 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Interesting read here. New Zealand approach is to lock down hard and fast. One case in Auckland and they lockdown the city before test and trace. Just for 5 days. Looks like a success.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/124457661/covid19-no-new-community-cases-of-virus-ahead-of-alert-level-move

There is a fine line to tread. I can imagine many here being critical of the Government if they completely locked down the island on the back of one community case, with no track and trace before the decision was made. The critics would then point to the low number of subsequent cases as justification for their criticism, accusing the government of causing needless financial (and other) hardship. On the other hand, if they leave it a few days longer they get criticised for not acting quickly enough

6 minutes ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

After reading such positive reviews of this piece I have to express extreme disappointment in it. It fails to deliver on any level. I didn't even smile. 

Cheer up Hetty.

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, Flyingfemme said:

The problem then becomes, who do you tax to pay for that ubi? Security cameras aren’t easy to tax because they have no “income” and taxing business too much simply results in people declining to work  hard, or invest what they have, only to lose the greater part of the reward.

As companies see their profits grow whilst employing ever fewer people, it will make sense to tax those profits more.

I cannot see this making any significant difference to small companies or those which employ relatively more people.

And it will make sense for big business and the shareholder too - since ultimately business needs consumers.

Being a consumer is an essential role in a capitalist economy. There is no fundamental reason why consumers should not be paid. As mad as that will initially seem to common-sensers :)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Manxas said:

Interesting how many people are still placing new adverts on Manx net for sale, even after being specifically told yesterday that the islands buy and sell sites should stop. Manx net should temporarily remove all ads in the same way the Facebook sites have had to stop. 

Is manx net stil a thing?  Not been on there since dial up

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Banker said:

Howies favorite other island have come through their latest wave and now hopeful of tourists this summer, hopefully we can to

https://guernseypress.com/news/2021/03/06/chief-minister-hopeful-of-tourism-return-in-summer/

Having read the article and noting the similarities, it would suggest that we may well replicate their outbreak which would suggest restrictions until the end of April.

38 minutes ago, Gladys said:

And yesterday was quite clear that the issue was with the DHSC system interrogating accurately the GPs' system and that the GPs were doing all they could to help.  It was refreshing that he was so open about where the problem was. 

This isn't a new problem. The fracture clinic can refer you to physio, you can wonder where the appointment is and ask your GP who can refer you you again until you eventually take things into your own hands and discover none of the three have the same records and someone at a house you lived in 5 years ago will have had some post for you and that through no fault of your own you've added to the missed appointments stats.

Its bizarre.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

Having read the article and noting the similarities, it would suggest that we may well replicate their outbreak which would suggest restrictions until the end of April.

It’s possible but we will have a lot more vaccinated, hopefully, by end March so some restrictions may be able to lifted earlier 

1 hour ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

UBI is generally a really interesting concept and the trials so far have been quite successful. 

Turns out, people do better for it in the studies so far. Throughout the world, generally, people have kept working, but they’ve been in better physical and mental health, education improved in areas impacted and crime dropped. 

The world is rapidly changing and AI is already replacing jobs. Why pay someone to man security cameras when a little box of tricks can do it for you? That box of tricks doesn’t need breaks or a salary. Now multiply that across all kinds of areas. 

I chuckled when I read this, not because I disagree, but I couldn’t help thinking of our postal and telephone vaccine booking system. Archaic versus AI.

7 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

This isn't a new problem. The fracture clinic can refer you to physio, you can wonder where the appointment is and ask your GP who can refer you you again until you eventually take things into your own hands and discover none of the three have the same records and someone at a house you lived in 5 years ago will have had some post for you and that through no fault of your own you've added to the missed appointments stats.

Its bizarre.

I stopped using the NHS physiotherapy referral system 2 years ago as found it impossible to get appointments, probably a lot worse now. Easier & better treatment going private although appreciate that’s not an option for everyone 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CowMan said:

You are simply clueless aren’t you? Of all the throughly inept posters on here you do genuinely seem to be the most inept of them all. Well done. Yes it’s all a big con and we’re all making a fortune out of not working during covid ... said nobody ever! 

Ohhh...hit a nerve much?

I believe my post was balanced. Unlike yours - that last sentence is hysterical is bollox - and I certainly never said that either.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Banker said:

It’s possible but we will have a lot more vaccinated, hopefully, by end March so some restrictions may be able to lifted earlier 

It depends on the metrics that are deemed important by Comin. The vaccine will not have curtailed the spread amongst the young, so if they concentrate on the headline case figure, as opposed to the risk of the NHS being overwhelmed, we may mirror Guernsey, although I hope you are right.

26 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Cheer up Hetty.

I dunno, I think the video puts oor Hetty in a rather good light.

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Nice one. Not sure what the message is, but it's funny whatever it is.

To me the message of this parody is quite clear. The screw up with the Steam Packet non-quarantine is serious. The government's reticence to properly investigate what happened can only be attributed to one thing - each of the 'magnificent trio' are afraid that any enquiry might reflect badly on them personally. Somebody should resign for this fiasco, but what they value more than accountability is the preservation of their own jobs. Hence - ''I will survive''. In other words - no enquiry = no accountability = no political consequences. This is so unlike what happens when ordinary people accidentally break rules. Incidentally: " Police to explain before enforcing Covid laws, says Chief Constable. Those who deliberately break coronavirus laws will face the consequences..." This is probably too little too late for all of us who are now suffering in lockdown as a direct consequence of the Steam Packet screw up.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/deliberate-law-breakers-will-face-consequences/

Edited by code99
  • Like 3