IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 minute ago, reptar said:

Correct, to be satirical it needs to have some bite, or a little nibble at the very least. This does not have that.

They should have used The Man Don't Give A Fuck by Super Furry Animals.

Cracking tune - been lucky to see them live few times, sounds much better!

33 minutes ago, Newbie said:

GPs haven't printed out paper copies of referrals and sent them in the post for a number of years. They are sent electronically. 

The majority of letters received into GP practices are also now received electronically and added to the patient record once they have been seen.

Whatever the exact mechanics - you seem to know more of the process than me - there’s too much scanning of printed copies for my liking, and too many incompatible systems. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

I remember distinctly, one argument put forth by our health minister time and time again was “why would anyone willingly subject themselves to a test, it isn’t very pleasant” when asked about why we weren’t having any form of surveillance testing on arrival or before release from isolation. 

He's said something similar on several occasions and it struck me as very revealing of the attitude of so many Manx politicians: "I don't like the idea of this, that means no one else will".   Ashford's by no means the stupidest of them, but they and those who advise them seem to have this incredibly self-centred viewpoint.  They don't look to see what the evidence is (take up rates of voluntary testing are very high) but go entirely on their personal feelings.

It's possible this is being used as an excuse for failure to use testing for other, equally irrational, reasons ("Rachel says we should, but Rachel's not our fwend anymore!"), but you can't help suspecting that such feelings have been part of the decisions that have been made.

4 hours ago, horatiotheturd said:

If they just admitted errors (we all make them) rather than blustering nonsense justifications for their cock ups then they  might earn a bit more respect.

Again it's part of the corporate culture and applies even more to the civil service.  The attitude of the media plays a part as well - especially of the British media.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Whatever the exact mechanics - you seem to know more of the process than me - there’s too much scanning of printed copies for my liking, and too many incompatible systems. 

Fair comment, but it is moving in the right direction slowly. As you say, a single bespoke system across all areas would be much better but that didn't end well in the UK!

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

Bizarre indeed. This is what happens when new systems are introduced step-wise rather than tearing the whole thing up and starting from scratch. Although that failed in the UK too.

When a GP refers me a patient they use EMIS, print and post the referral. This is then scanned into Medway before I see it and prioritise it. When I see the patient I dictate a letter on BigHand, which has voice recognition, and a secretary formats it and links to Medway.  The letter gets printed, posted to the GP, and also scanned into MediViewer at the hospital.  The GP will scan it into EMIS. 

If I refer a patient to physio I make a referral on ICE (which can be accessed by Medway).  They do their notes on RIO, which as far as I’m aware doesn’t link to anything I or the GPs use.

I request XRays on ICE the same, but the images are seen in PACS.  The radiologists use another system for XR reporting. 

Why? GDPR and confidentiality probably.  These are the reasons given anyway.  A universal medical record, accessible by all who need to, would be a great thing.  The current system is worse than 15 years ago when paper referrals were kept in an A4 ring binder, operating lists were on 3x5 index cards, and notes were paper. I’m not a luddite technophobe by any stretch of the imagination, but I simply haven’t seen much improve by the digital revolution in healthcare in 25 years of doing it. Except PACS - not having film XRs is great. 

Can anyone add a link to the old Smash advert when the aliens can't stop laughing, except it's not a laughing matter.

I can’t think of any advert that has lasted like the Smash advert. I’m going to buy some today, big up the Smash robots. I don’t know what I will do with it because it’s absolutely rank but I’ll buy it anyway.

As an aside, I made polenta chips last night. They were ace, chipped spuds boiled for 10 mins, drained off and tossed in polenta, salt, paprika & anything else you find in the herb cupboard (that works flavor wise ofc), then put in the oven on a greased pre heated baking tray for 15 mins at 180. Lush :)

eta I said flavour but my phone decided I was American and changed the spelling - now it has underlined the word above - mildly irritating!

Edited by 2bees
Apple spelling police
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

Bizarre indeed. This is what happens when new systems are introduced step-wise rather than tearing the whole thing up and starting from scratch. Although that failed in the UK too.

When a GP refers me a patient they use EMIS, print and post the referral. This is then scanned into Medway before I see it and prioritise it. When I see the patient I dictate a letter on BigHand, which has voice recognition, and a secretary formats it and links to Medway.  The letter gets printed, posted to the GP, and also scanned into MediViewer at the hospital.  The GP will scan it into EMIS. 

That is shocking, no wonder things go missing. Far too much human input gives many chances for mistakes.

Is this something Manx Care will address?

I spent some time in a very high tech Cambridge area hospital 2 years ago and the nurses were using modified iPhones to record stats/ the usual stuff they do to you when you are on a ward.

No paper in a file on the end of your bed, just nurses and their own iPhones. The kit they were taking blood pressure with looked exactly the same as at Nobles but it sent the results to their iPhone. Is this what we will have eventually?

Edited by Boris Johnson

7 minutes ago, 2bees said:

I can’t think of any advert that has lasted like the Smash advert. I’m going to buy some today, big up the Smash robots. I don’t know what I will do with it because it’s absolutely rank but I’ll buy it anyway.

As an aside, I made polenta chips last night. They were ace, chipped spuds boiled for 10 mins, drained off and tossed in polenta, salt, paprika & anything else you find in the herb cupboard (that works flavor wise ofc), then put in the oven on a greased pre heated baking tray for 15 mins at 180. Lush :)

eta I said flavour but my phone decided I was American and changed the spelling - now it has underlined the word above - mildly irritating!

Shake n vac is still available (classic!). I'm sure there are alternatives to chemically disinfect your carpets but will they stand the test of time?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Randomly observe elsewhere. Jesus.

Yes, I see what you mean, sorry.

But..

I think it is relevant. We're in a pandemic and the Isle of Man is in the shit.

45 minutes ago, Pipsqueak said:

are you in the middle east ?

Well something is driving this phenomenon.

There are too many tough guys about who think they are too too tough to wear a mask.

Are you one of them ndp?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

That is shocking, no wonder things go missing. Far too much human input gives many chances for mistakes.

Is this something Manx Care will address?

I spent some time in a very high tech Cambridge area hospital 2 years ago and the nurses were using modified iPhones to record stats/ the usual stuff they do to you when you are on a ward.

No paper in a file on the end of your bed, just nurses and their own iPhones. The kit they were taking blood pressure with looked exactly the same as at Nobles but it sent the results to their iPhone. Is this what we will have eventually?

We have to get past this first:ph34r:

hospitals.png

• Like 1