IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

Speaker of the House of Keys, Juan Watterson has confirmed that no media briefing will be held today.

He has also provided the below information ahead of the press release later 

As at 10.30am 06/03/21
Active cases: 234
In hospital: 3
New cases confimed since last update on 05/03/21: 70
All time total cases: 676
Currently identified and self-isolating: 1012
of which identified in last 24 hours: 287

Locally acquired transmission from linked source: 139
Locally acquired transmission from unknown source: 46
Investigation ongoing: 47
Travel arrivals (self isolating): 2

This is a new high in daily case rates, however these are all going to be cases that were infected before the lockdown began.  The incubation period is 7-14 days, so it is likely we will see case numbers rise in the coming week before we see the impact of the restrictions. 

The new cases still seem heavily weighted around young people representing 100 of the 234 cases.  This is going to have implications for reopening hub schools even on a limited basis, although it is recognised hubs are essential in allowing critical workers to get to work.  

There has been much discussion about the Kent variant being more virulent than others. 14% of tests of close contacts are coming back positive, which is higher than Lockdown 1

• Like 1

1 minute ago, horatiotheturd said:

Speaker of the House of Keys, Juan Watterson has confirmed that no media briefing will be held today.

He has also provided the below information ahead of the press release later 

As at 10.30am 06/03/21
Active cases: 234
In hospital: 3
New cases confimed since last update on 05/03/21: 70
All time total cases: 676
Currently identified and self-isolating: 1012
of which identified in last 24 hours: 287

Locally acquired transmission from linked source: 139
Locally acquired transmission from unknown source: 46
Investigation ongoing: 47
Travel arrivals (self isolating): 2

This is a new high in daily case rates, however these are all going to be cases that were infected before the lockdown began.  The incubation period is 7-14 days, so it is likely we will see case numbers rise in the coming week before we see the impact of the restrictions. 

The new cases still seem heavily weighted around young people representing 100 of the 234 cases.  This is going to have implications for reopening hub schools even on a limited basis, although it is recognised hubs are essential in allowing critical workers to get to work.  

There has been much discussion about the Kent variant being more virulent than others. 14% of tests of close contacts are coming back positive, which is higher than Lockdown 1

It’s similar pattern to what Guernsey experienced, think they got upto 400+ but then it went steadily downwards so hopefully ours will be the same.

They need to get some schools open for essential workers otherwise lots of things will grind to a halt 

Just now, Dave Hedgehog said:

Yep, especially when they add in any results they get between midnight and 4pm.

Personally Im not concerned by the new case figures.

I know 13 people that have tested positive in the past 24hours after swabbing yesterday, results arrived late last night or this morning. They are all families of St Ninians Yr 7/8 students. One household, 3 new positives, already in isolation. I think a chunk of big numbers we'll see are going to be made up of things like this, which whilst not great, shouldn't be a concern.

The key is eliminating the 'community' i.e. no known source of transmission chains.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Banker said:

It’s similar pattern to what Guernsey experienced, think they got upto 400+ but then it went steadily downwards so hopefully ours will be the same.

Yes but as Jaymann says above if it’s largely all household transmission - so kid gone to school and gives it to mum and dad and all test positive so that’s 3 in one household. I know a few of these sort of cases so bigger numbers aren’t really an issue I don’t think. 

2 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Somebody provided a breakdown yesterday of who had tested positive, by age group and general occupation. Is that still available, i can't search back through all the guff, mine included. Preferably an updated version

Well, todays is as follows:

Age groups:
0-4 8
5-9 16
10-14 60
15-19 14
20-24 25
25-29 23
30-34 12
35-39 14
40-44 13
45-49 13
50-54 19
55-59 5
60-64 9
65-69 1
70-74 0
75-79 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, the stinking enigma said:

Somebody provided a breakdown yesterday of who had tested positive, by age group and general occupation. Is that still available, i can't search back through all the guff, mine included. Preferably an updated version

Intrigued as to why anyone would care, u less "parent of schoolkid in specific school and year group " is a category.

If its not, it makes no difference if the people are butchers, bakers or candlestick makers when they have picked it up from their kids

Just now, horatiotheturd said:

Intrigued as to why anyone would care, u less "parent of schoolkid in specific school and year group " is a category.

If its not, it makes no difference if the people are butchers, bakers or candlestick makers when they have picked it up from their kids

I think the interest comes from venues of ongoing transmission, hence why they've mentioned office closures might be coming.

Just now, AcousticallyChallenged said:

I think the interest comes from venues of ongoing transmission, hence why they've mentioned office closures might be coming.

I'm not convinced that offices are actually the source of transmission though. Those numbers just show what people 'do' who have tested positive, right?

So you could have a school kid with 2 parents now positive. 1 a nurse and one an office worker, so they'd be classified as such? Doesn't mean the transmission took place there?