IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

5 minutes ago, pongo said:

The way to have prevented this would have been to lock down properly weeks ago. Including closing schools and preventing mixing. And the ferry crews should definitely always have been under quarantine - or else the company should just have used UK based crews.

But if the government had taken these measures then a whole bunch of shouty people, many posting here, would have said that the measures went too far - supporting their nonsense with a whole lot of bogus short term economic arguments.

Not convinced people would have said it went to far. There always seems to have been support for what New Zealand and other places in our position.

Find a case, lock down quickly while you figure out what is going on, then reassess.

Default 3 week lockdowns when you have already let it spread for over a week are stupid.  Should have been squashed day one while they got their act together with the shambolic vaccines.  If after a few days there is no obvious spread then yiu open up again.

Largely irrelevant now anyway.  Fingers crossed we never here about "eradication" again and just vaccinate at pace and move forward with the rest of the world

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

The question I have as well, as how many of those known cases are contacts of people who have flagged up as unknown cases.

I imagine, that if Alice catches it from an unknown source, then all her family catch it, they all count as 'in the cluster' because Alice is linked to them.

Are we not at the stage where it doesn't actually matter anymore? Cluster, non cluster.  Whatever.

The reality is that a lack of people moving around and not being near each other is what is required.    The positive cases will peak then start to reduce as people are not mixing and recovering etc.

Having a small number of cases then I see the point.  At this stage it has clearly passed through schools which has pushed up the numbers a lot.   Does anyone actually care how a case is defined?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, pongo said:

The way to have prevented this would have been to lock down properly weeks ago. Including closing schools and preventing mixing. And the ferry crews should definitely always have been under quarantine - or else the company should just have used UK based crews.

But if the government had taken these measures then a whole bunch of shouty people, many posting here, would have said that the measures went too far - supporting their nonsense with a whole lot of bogus short term economic arguments.

I think you have hit the nail on the head there pongo, although I can't see how the crews and their families could isolate for so long. Either using all Manx or UK crews would be the only way. 

If a Manx crew, those loading the vehicles in the UK should be UK staff who have no contact with the locals or passengers and stay ashore when the ferry sails. That shouldn't be too hard?

Everyone getting wound up doesn't help and just leads to anxiety and division. The police can't prevent heroin getting here, and you can see that, unlike an invisible virus.    

1 hour ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

The question I have as well, as how many of those known cases are contacts of people who have flagged up as unknown cases.

I imagine, that if Alice catches it from an unknown source, then all her family catch it, they all count as 'in the cluster' because Alice is linked to them.

Edited by TerryFuchwit
Duplicate.

16 minutes ago, pongo said:

There were no cases.weeks ago.  Why would we lockdown?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

Are we not at the stage where it doesn't actually matter anymore? Cluster, non cluster.  Whatever.

The reality is that a lack of people moving around and not being near each other is what is required.    The positive cases will peak then start to reduce as people are not mixing and recovering etc.

Having a small number of cases then I see the point.  At this stage it has clearly passed through schools which has pushed up the numbers a lot.   Does anyone actually care how a case is defined?

My argument was more as to whether they are trying to downplay the situation in order to save face.

1 minute ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

My argument was more as to whether they are trying to downplay the situation in order to save face.

Hmmm.  I dont see much downplaying as such.  The situation has been portrayed as very serious.

Their position isn't one I would envy.   

5 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

This.  Its also no longer useful to test people with no symptoms.

Just all do as HQ said (Jesus, did I just type that) and everyone assume they have it for a few weeks and take the relevant precautions.

Chantelle on Facebook now seems to see it as a badge on honour to be tested, and even better to get a positive.  Its pointless if she and her kids aren't ill and is just wasting time and resources.  111 need to be sorting vaccines not answering 3000 calls a day from people who are fine but whose kids go to school with Traceys kids and so insist on being tested so they can do the obligatory selfie from the grandstand.

It's here, it's never going away. Deal with it

3 hours ago, The Old Git said:

No, just figures released

Still think they should be doing briefings this weekend. Figures are worse than anytime and there's a lot of frightened people out there, including children this time.

Yes there might not much that can be added as yet, but reassurance is an important element of all this, such as the known lesser effects on kids.

Imagine one or more of your kids having it...I'd be well worried, despite what I think I know about it all.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, horatiotheturd said:

Chantelle on Facebook now seems to see it as a badge on honour to be tested, and even better to get a positive.  Its pointless if she and her kids aren't ill and is just wasting time and resources.  111 need to be sorting vaccines not answering 3000 calls a day from people who are fine but whose kids go to school with Traceys kids and so insist on being tested so they can do the obligatory selfie from the grandstand.

We need to know who has got it. Otherwise they are liable to take their infection to the supermarket and spread it around.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Just all do as HQ said (Jesus, did I just type that) and everyone assume they have it for a few weeks and take the relevant precautions.

I’m not sure that just assuming that you have something and taking preventative action as government says so is really the answer. Unlikely that we’d assume we all had HIV and never have sex again on that basis. 

2 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Still think they should be doing briefings this weekend. Figures are worse than anytime and there's a lot of frightened people out there, including children this time.

Yes there might not much that can be added as yet, but reassurance is an important element of all this

Err, did you see the bit in yesterdays briefing when Ashford tried this? Changed his voice a bit and spoke directly to the kids, or whatever the fuck was going on. Shudder.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Yes there might not much that can be added as yet, but reassurance is an important element of all this, such as the known lesser effects on kids.

Imagine one or more of your kids having it...I'd be well worried, despite what I think I know about it all.

How are the figures for percentage of positive tests against actual tests taken?

Lower than last year at a guess by quite a long way.  90% of the "cases" would have never been identified last spring.  People would have just had it and not noticed.

Edited by horatiotheturd