IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

4 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

You said I had consistently been in opposition to the measures that would have prevented this outbreak.

Being in favour of friends and family being able to visit and fulfil all the requirements around self isolation and testing is in no way what you said.

I am not aware of a single case introduced to the island (that wasn't kept in isloation) from someone coming, isolating and doing three tests.

It is in fact the perfect example of someone who just blames "the borders and travel" without actually analysing the different risks and mitigations in place.

Old lady coming to visit her daughter, isolating and three tests before out of isolation- minimal risk.

Spco crew wandering about the island having mixed openly with crew who have been out and about in the UK - small risk.

I was never opposed to a single thing that has proven to be a negative factor in all this.  Quite the opposite. A bit of sensible and controlled travel might have actually helped with mental health and suicides. I know it wojld in this house.  I was also pushing for testing people long before that caught us out over Christmas.

Haven't you got anything better to do like watch grass grow?

1 minute ago, piebaps said:

I'm watching this thread grow. Nearly 1600 pages now. It has been slowing a bit though. If it doesn't pick up soon I'm gonna have to lob a covid-denial grenade in just to gee everyone up.

It will speed up when figures come in for the last couple of days sadly 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, pongo said:

Haven't you have continually agitated for a relaxation of the border policies? Linking that to calls for more resources to be wasted on testing people making unnecessary journeys.

I actually think you’re likely the person actually responsible for this flawed covid plan as you’re so resoundingly pinned to the isolation and madness of it. There would have been nothing wrong with allowing relatives to come across sponsored by their IOM family members and more travel for compassionate reasons (illness and death) from the start. People would have even paid for their own tests.

That’s about as far as I can see any poster who seems to go against the status quo in this thread has ever said. Yet it seems to have constantly been blown up into accusations of those demanding the opening off the borders.

Lets remember that on pretty much day one this is the government who brought a convoy of outsiders who nobody apparently wanted back with full sirens and police outriders like it was a disaster movie and then locked them up for two weeks in a hastily made prison. That seems to have very much set the benchmark for everything done since and a huge dose of denying the science of data and testing simply because it costs too much! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Old lady coming to visit her daughter, isolating and three tests before out of isolation- minimal risk.

The problem occurs when you step out of your world, and say 100 or more li'l ol' ladies come over to visit their daughters. Risk is suddenly high.

The problem with a pandemic, it is so overwhelming few people can assess it in a larger perspective than their own lives.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Barlow said:

The problem occurs when you step out of your world, and say 100 or more li'l ol' ladies come over to visit their daughters. Risk is suddenly high.

The problem with a pandemic, it is so overwhelming few people can assess it in a larger perspective than their own lives.

Its really not.  There hasn't been a single case of someone isolating and providing tests infecting anyone and we know quite a lot came back who were positive but just stayed closed away until clear.

Will never change the minds of the petrified, but they are going to struggle mentally in a few weeks when travel opens with no isolation at all.

Edited by horatiotheturd

4 minutes ago, Barlow said:

But don’t worry we’ll let several hundred key workers including welders, promenade workers etc over who didn’t need to isolate or have 3 negative tests before release so whose the higher risk , old ladies or welders?

Edited by Banker
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Banker said:

But don’t worry we’ll let several hundred key workers including welders, promenade workers etc over who didn’t need your isolate or have 3 negative tests before release so whose the higher risk , old ladies or welders?

I wish I could muster a smart retort. I can't. 

:(

2 minutes ago, snowman said:

The biggest negative effect on anyones mental health is coming on this forum reading you two

Nah the obsessional covid doom and the wild death and destruction predictions will get you well before then 👍

3 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Its really not.  There hasn't been a single case of someone isolating and providing tests infecting anyone and we know quite a lot came back who were positive but just stayed closed away until clear.

Will never cha get the minds of the petrified, but they are going to struggle mentally in a few weeks when travel.opems with no isolation at all.

Forgive me asking but what happened at Christmas/New Year? I thought that was someone coming out of isolation after travel? IIRC

• Like 1