IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

5 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Personally I quite like having people here from other cultures, I wasn't blaming anyone as nobody would deliberately infect another person, I think. It's just that in the case of Covid, having mixed crews is working against us!

There isn’t or certainly shouldn’t be a ‘mixed’ crew!? They’re either IOM based or UK based and if there is tension amongst the crew due to someone’s nationally or perhaps their actions outside working hours, then that’s for the manager to sort out, by definition a crew is only a crew if they’re working together as a team.

If your saying a Manx crew member is less likely to travel to the UK/Europe then your probably right, but it’s for the company to have the correct protocols in place, when you accept an employee onto the team then you also accept whatever baggage may come with them. This reminds me of one idiot manager I had in a previous role who wouldn’t employ a female incase they fell pregnant, how he still runs a successful business with such an archaic attitude is beyond me.

I have just watched the Sunday interview with David Ashford and Paul Moulton. It is pitiful waffle trying to justify a position which can no longer be supported. Oh for a politician who will stand up and say, yes, no one has been in this position before, we've got a number of things wrong, we are working to put them right. It would be refreshing to hear that instead of this constant diatribe of waffle trying not to admit things have gone awry.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Chris C said:

Far be it from me to defend the SP,  but I really don't think they're importing Eastern Europeans to crew their ships. 

It's more a case of the hours are long and unsociable and the pay is crap, it's probably the only people they can find. 

I know a couple of Manx fellas who have worked for them in the past,  none lasted more than a season,  on the other hand I know a couple of engineers who have been there for donkey's.

Now if you were to say the cabin crew jobs should be paid better I would agree with you. 

I know quite a few Eastern European’s and most will quite happily take any crap job on for 5 years in order to get their work permit, a few come with the intention of saving up enough to buy land/homes in their ‘home’ country, but the overall majority come with the intention of staying for a better life for their kids/family.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

When we did go for a walk today we

Hey Nelson, next time you're going for a walk, let us know, we can all join you!

OK folks, nothing lethal, just enough to keep him off his keyboard to the end of lockdown, OK?

😃

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

There isn’t or certainly shouldn’t be a ‘mixed’ crew!? They’re either IOM based or UK based 

IOM registered vessels can employ crews of any nationality - both ratings and officers provided they have the proper certification, paperwork etc.

Just now, pongo said:

IOM registered vessels can employ crews of any nationality - both ratings and officers provided they have the proper certification, paperwork etc.

Do the Steam Packet not select who works for them? or do you mean from a work permit perspective?

3 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Do the Steam Packet not select who works for them? or do you mean from a work permit perspective?

Work permits aren't really a thing in this context. Vessels all over the world may be Manx Registered. They operate under registry rules not local employment rules.

Edited by pongo

13 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Hey Nelson, next time you're going for a walk, let us know, we can all join you!

OK folks, nothing lethal, just enough to keep him off his keyboard to the end of lockdown, OK?

😃

Rather than just being a dick and with this being a discussion site and all.  Why not actually say what you disagree with in what I have posted?

Nothing wrong with a bit of healthy debate and hearing a different viewpoint. Surely that is what people are here for?

• Like 1