IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

9 minutes ago, code99 said:

My thoughts are that the election time is already upon us. Over the next several months, Manx airwaves will be full of our current and aspiring politicians alike, (helpfully) telling the public what they think we want to hear, just as they did 4 years ago and 4 years before that, and so on. The reason most of these 'good ideas' will never see the light of day is because as soon as the said politicians get into power they promptly fall into line under the guise of the 'collective responsibility'. Political 'aspirations' will be quickly forgotten along with their manifestos, and earnest wafflings, etc.  

We are also in the middle of an outbreak in the Island which is the immediate focus of his comments. 

Even if he is electioneering it doesn't mean that his comments are wrong. The two are not mutually exclusive.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Discussion on this subject is carefully policed IIRC, legal implications and such, it's been brought up a couple of times in recent years?

Yeah, basically it can’t be discussed here for the reasons you’ve outlined, his name does rear it’s ugly head every now and again, but is often quickly shut down, there was so much anger at the way If was handled that it often spirals out of control quite quickly and threads end up getting locked/deleted.

I wonder if the original news article would be stored anywhere? Imuseum or similar?

56 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

Ah so if you don't test for it, you won't find it, therefor it is not a problem to deal with. Hmmm, sounds familiar.

No not as cynical as that . Was advised to take Vit D as I was tested for it but in general chat it was mentioned that they are not testing for it now ,few years ago , as its found that most have a lack of it .

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Newbie said:

The understanding of the effects of low Vitamin D levels, particularly as they relate to Covid-19 are increasing, so hopefully that will prompt a review of their earlier position. I'm not holding my breath

The Times newspaper resident doctor says he takes a vitamin D supplement and recommends we all should in winter. I’ve taken cod liver oil for some years for a dicky knee and recently noticed it contains the D vitamin. So that’s all good then.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Yeah, basically it can’t be discussed here for the reasons you’ve outlined, his name does rear it’s ugly head every now and again, but is often quickly shut down, there was so much anger at the way If was handled that it often spirals out of control quite quickly and threads end up getting locked/deleted.

I wonder if the original news article would be stored anywhere? Imuseum or similar?

Yes  maybe even in original paper copy at the Museum or transferred to electronic or microfilm. I can remember some of the salient points but they're not for discussion on here.

1 minute ago, Numbnuts said:

No not as cynical as that . Was advised to take Vit D as I was tested for it but in general chat it was mentioned that they are not testing for it now ,few years ago , as its found that most have a lack of it .

They only test if it’s specifically requested and doctors think lack of vitamin D maybe part of wider health issues.

My brother got tested for it as various underlying health issues and now gets vitamin D supplements on prescription 

• Like 1

Regarding the children ("oh, won't somebody think of....etc")

I don't want to make light of the matter and appreciate the harm the pandemic is doing in all sorts of places, but it is what it is. Make the most of what you can't change.

There will be casualties.

I remember my school days quite clearly. I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that at any stage of my schooling I would have seen this pandemic and lockdown etc as a gift from God, my prayers answered. I am not trying to be 'funny' or facetious or whatever. And many folk I know feel the same.

Just for balance.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Regarding the children ("oh, won't somebody think of....etc")

I don't want to make light of the matter and appreciate the harm the pandemic is doing in all sorts of places, but it is what it is. Make the most of what you can't change.

There will be casualties.

I remember my school days quite clearly. I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that at any stage of my schooling I would have seen this pandemic and lockdown etc as a gift from God, my prayers answered. I am not trying to be 'funny' or facetious or whatever. And many folk I know feel the same.

Just for balance.

Lots of kids delighted including my nephew!! Also lots of others connected with schools, classrooms assistant, primary school teachers etc as the online offering for them is limited 

12 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Well that’s good, at least he’s now on their radar if anything else happens in the future, it was a missed gear change away from having a big smash.

Absolutely. Waiting for Cow Dung to come in with their 'I'm oppressed, speed limits are a bad idea' tripe.

11 minutes ago, cheesypeas said:

Absolutely. Waiting for Cow Dung to come in with their 'I'm oppressed, speed limits are a bad idea' tripe.

Speed limit restrictions clearly aren’t needed and are a complete overreaction. This is just one isolated case. Even if a limit came in there are no police about to police them anyway so it’s pretty much pointless. But I suppose if some bored fool wants to drive around (presumably in breach of lockdown rules as he lives in lower Onchan) videoing people to get publicity for his rather silly driving blog that’s his business really. 

Edited by CowMan
Typo pretty
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

23 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Yes  maybe even in original paper copy at the Museum or transferred to electronic or microfilm. I can remember some of the salient points but they're not for discussion on here.

The Manx Museum keeps all the papers. 'Except the ones they specifically don't keep...' (words said to me from a museum personnel) although there is no reason why these reports won't be there.

Isle of Man Newspapers had the reports all online but their archive went doolally when they were last sold out. I have copies of all the webpages though, taken at the time, and all the relevant newspapers. 

Which is all well and good, but it is the narrative behind the case, including that connected with local internet forums and the closure thereof, which is more interesting and concerning.