IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Funny how every travel agent is now an expert on Covid-19 and how to handle it.

Would Jan W and Brian K be so quick to have the answers if they didn’t stand to gain financially from easing the border restrictions.? No, thought not. Not sure why they are given so much airtime on the radio tbh.

Mann Link seem to have got it right. More flights now being released. Good PR being generated so far. We’ve even had that grumpy Guernsey bastard as a social media star. What’s not to like? It’s filling beds and holiday cottages and Guernsey is a Covid free island like us so what’s the risk? 

• Like 2

I was hawkish on reopening borders and am not particularly worried about the virus as I feel that it has been blown out of all proportion, but listening to Allinson mentioning the potential reintroduction of social distancing if cases reappear made me shudder. I was happy to get the bloody government out of my life, they were not invited and they certainly are not welcome back. I do not want to go back to the queues, masks, stupid rules and the panic and neurotic behaviour exhibited by certain sections of the population. On balance I am now veering towards keeping tight border restrictions for the rest of the year even though it stick in my throat. It is best for the wellbeing of most businesses and the population as a whole.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

I was hawkish on reopening borders and am not particularly worried about the virus as I feel that it has been blown out of all proportion, but listening to Allinson mentioning the potential reintroduction of social distancing if cases reappear made me shudder. I was happy to get the bloody government out of my life, they were not invited and they certainly are not welcome back. I do not want to go back to the queues, masks, stupid rules and the panic and neurotic behaviour exhibited by certain sections of the population.

People won’t go back to it anyway. Just look at the mess that is the UK with Boris Johnson still trying to pretend that he runs the country when everyone is pretty much doing what they want. You must wear a mask on public transport. Except where you don’t as nobody is empowered to police the rules and compel you to wear a mask. Even shop keepers aren’t going to stop you as even if you turn up to shop stark bollock naked you’re a customer and they haven’t earned a penny in four months. You can go down the pub only if you socially distance, but after 5 pints you don’t socially distance and absolutely nobody is going to do anything about it as you’re spending money and they’re skint as they haven’t been open for months. I’m really glad I liquidated everything as soon as things pretty much recovered in June so I can just sit here and watch everything side down the toilet. The whole thing has lunged into disaster territory now where regardless of what is said people are going to do what they want anyway. If they’re skint they’ll go to work, on a bus, with no mask as they can’t afford to buy a mask. And Britain needs them to do that anyway before it is totally fucked. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, hissingsid said:

I think you would find people on the Island would go back to it like a shot if we had a second wave, if they did not it is not hard to find them and deal with them.

I think you’ll find that’s wrong except for the hardcore of fearful Covid obsessed dickheads. The police have pretty much given up too. They arrested a few scrotes and arseholes to send out a message but that’s about it. If people haven’t worked it out yet it’s about the economy and government here and in the UK has largely stopped writing cheques to stave off reality. 

• Like 1

The SD bureaucracy would happen, otherwise businesses get closed down. The fearful would be reporting all transgressions again. The media stir it up, fearful politicians react, and we all get to go through all the nonsense again. Instead of basing SD and lockdown decisions on ITU capacity, they insist on referring to a strategy based upon number of cases. Nuts!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

The SD bureaucracy would happen, otherwise businesses get closed down. The fearful would be reporting all transgressions again. The media stir it up, fearful politicians react, and we all get to go through all the nonsense again. Instead of basing SD and lockdown decisions on ITU capacity, they insist on referring to a strategy based upon number of cases. Nuts!

It gets to the point that they can’t control it. As I said governments have stopped writing cheques to stave off reality so they simply can’t stop people from working as they won’t be able to support themselves. Do they just expect people to stay at home and die with no income and no job? They’d have to send the troops in to police it as faced with either starving or chancing it people will chance it despite whatever stupid rules may be put in place. Jurby isn’t big enough either if people just said fuck it what are you going to do? Are you going to arrest 500 people you don’t have the resources to either arrest or gaol? No, we won’t be going back to any of that rest assured. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

2 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It gets to the point that they can’t control it. As I said governments have stopped writing cheques to stave off reality so they simply can’t stop people from working as they won’t be able to support themselves. Do they just expect people to stay at home and die with no income and no job? They’d have to send the troops in to police it as faced with either starving or chancing it people will chance it despite whatever stupid rules may be put in place. Jurby isn’t big enough either if people just said fuck it what are you going to do? Are you going to arrest 500 people you don’t have the resources to either arrest or gaol? No, we won’t be going back to any of that rest assured. 

I hope you are right

11 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

I hope you are right

It’s logical. If government can no longer afford to pay people not to work then it has no right or moral authority to stop people from working or from doing what they like to create money or economic activity. All the UK has done is bought people off for removing their liberty and their right to work. If it can’t do that moving forward (and it can’t) then I’m sorry but the new rules are survival of the fittest and fuck everything else. No law can legally confine people to accept poverty or destitution as the only way forward under threat of prison. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It’s logical. If government can no longer afford to pay people not to work then it has no right or moral authority to stop people from working or from doing what they like to create money or economic activity. All the UK has done is bought people off for removing their liberty and their right to work. If it can’t do that moving forward (and it can’t) then I’m sorry but the new rules are survival of the fittest and fuck everything else. No law can legally confine people to accept poverty or destitution as the only way forward. 

All the worlds economies need people back working and benefits stopping. The trick is getting right balance if risk & reward ie how many more cases/deaths are acceptable? If they are older & mostly obese ones with other health issues is it ok to save the rest from job losses etc

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Banker said:

All the worlds economies need people back working and benefits stopping. The trick is getting right balance if risk & reward ie how many more cases/deaths are acceptable? If they are older & mostly obese ones with other health issues is it ok to save the rest from job losses etc

Politicians and the police have no moral authority anymore if you analyze it fully which is why the UK is such a mess. I’m still amazed at how many people are still going along with this farce in the UK. Stopping the furlough and other benefits will be the trigger which is why people are being gradually weaned off. Once you stop compensating people for ‘good’ behaviour (ie, for being allegedly socially responsible) then they will start being selfish as they have no other option. Even more so if they have bills to pay and can’t afford to eat. Once it gets to that level then it can’t be contained and the situation will be unmanageable. Even Leicester has been quite placid, but can you imagine a Leicester style lockdown where all those low income workers aren’t still paid to stay at home? It will be carnage. Basic human nature will take over which is fuck everyone else I need to provide for my family. 

2 hours ago, woolley said:

Nah. Letting people die naturally is not euthanasia anyway and, of course, voluntary euthanasia should be a basic human right. I just hope that this has changed be the time I get there. I reckon it will have to because otherwise there are going to be too many empty shells just waiting to die for the system to cope.

@woolley

Typical.

Bitch and moan about the status quo but no ideas to move it forward....

3 hours ago, P.K. said:

Brain activity can not show dementia.

Wrong. A scan of the extent of foci in the various cortex's would be predictive of onset. Certain rhythms in brain activity would also suggest onset.

3 hours ago, P.K. said:

But some clues are there and can be used in conjunction with other assessments that dementia is a likely cause for current behaviour. But we can't be sure.

Indeed, simple memory tests can provide clues. Also gait, depression, facial expressions and transient fugues. Who's we, by the way? You're sounding very authoritative.

3 hours ago, P.K. said:

It seems there has been an increase in dementia.

Has there? Have you got a link? Where? Is it on a global level or just the UK?

3 hours ago, P.K. said:

... advances in medical science...

Aha. Effective early diagnostics then. The science is gaining knowledge. That might suggest an apparent increase in dementia.

3 hours ago, P.K. said:

The thing is there are no indicators of when you may start to suffer from dementia.

But you said above, "some clues are there..." surely then, clues are indicators of onset..? Make your mind up.

3 hours ago, P.K. said:

The obvious solution to this issue is to find a treatment for these debilitating conditions.

Probably decades away. When spaces occur within the brain tissue its difficult to know how to reverse the degeneration, impossible probably, unless cell-replacement therapy can be used. Maybe if it's vascular/ischaemic dementia it might be possible. 

3 hours ago, P.K. said:

Until that happens the only course of action that can be taken is that if they are still living, breathing, human beings then they deserve every chance of a long life like any other patient.

What about quality of life? I would imagine that living a long life with dementia amounts to no life at all once the rubicon has been crossed. A living hell in some cases when the afflicted are aware of their condition and where it's leading and the ultimate outcome, plus the pressure on loved ones having to witness the slow slide into oblivion. Why prolong the inevitable? In time, even the basics of normal life and existential being become unachievable.

3 hours ago, P.K. said:

Because as far as I can tell it's impossible to legislate any other option with any confidence in being able to safeguard their human rights.

H-mm. People should be able to decide to end their misery without the stigma and imposition of the current legislation. The right to die a dignified death should be a given. The decision to end personal suffering should lie with the sufferer.

33 minutes ago, Banker said:

That may become a choice the way things are heading. There has to be compromise to find a least worse scenario.

• Haha 1