IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

17 minutes ago, Gladys said:

From my perspective, and that of others,  it isn't the numbers but clear communication that is the issue.  Tbh, many have been saying since this first took hold, that covid free was an unreal expectation and would like to see measures taken to mitigate the impact of a return.  In other words, realistic policies to manage expectations.

Absolutely right about the communication. But let's not forget we were Covid free for 7 or 8 months last year (whether by luck or judgement) whilst the UK struggled with it. I think the hope probably was that we could achieve a similar period again whilst the vaccine programme was delivered here and in the UK before relaxing things at which point Covid would return, but at a low level because of the vaccine. Clearly it hasn't worked out that way, but many would think it was a reasonable aspiration in the shortish term.

35 minutes ago, Pipsqueak said:

what time on yesterdays video does ashie make sense of the numbers ??  anybody ?? CowMan ?

Was it around 108, say 110 minutes in. Wouldn't swear to it of course.

• Haha 2

The alternative is today’s situation though? Living with covid would put us in a constant state of rigorous social distancing and with our core services at risk. 

we either continue to pursue elimination or we have to take realistic action like closing all schools until the vaccine is fully administered.

“No one is safe until everyone is safe” should be the mantra.

Our escape plan will be a lifted copy and paste version of the UK NHS plan. It's how we do things around here.

Watch out for the different names though.

5 minutes ago, Apple said:

Our escape plan will be a lifted copy and paste version of the UK NHS plan. It's how we do things around here.

Watch out for the different names though.

Well the UK daily rate is the lowest since last September with deaths well down so with the vaccine roll out they do seem to have come through the latest wave. If their rates continue to fall there will be no reason to keep borders closed within a few months.

Ashie's been quite an instinctive and nimble footed performer at the lectern but he fucked up yesterday because he was given the wrong advice and instructions. He needs to bollock someone this morning and assert his ministerial authority - if he really has any. I think the public have largely trusted him but yesterday didn't look good. The journalists had an open goal there yesterday but couldn't even find the ball.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

Well, I've just been tested and can't compliment the process enough. 

I was called on Sunday night about 9pm and told I had been in close contact with someone in an enclosed room for more than 15 mins on Monday 1st March who has since tested positive.  They don't tell you exactly who or where, I'm assuming to avoid any witch hunts.

Yesterday lunchtime I had the test.  10 minute queue.  The 'swabbers' were remarkably cheery and friendly.  The swabbing was unpleasant but not as horrendous as many would have you believe. 

At midnight I received the test result.  Negative luckily. 

Just over a 24hr turnaround and all in all a fairly easy process is pretty good in my books. 

100%. I have family members who had tests on Sunday evening and said that although the test itself was a bit like having your brain tickled (not the first time I've heard that expression from others), everything else was well oiled. 

It's only when it gets higher up the chain of command does the process of dissecting the data start getting suspect.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Banker said:

Well the UK daily rate is the lowest since last September with deaths well down so with the vaccine roll out they do seem to have come through the latest wave. If their rates continue to fall there will be no reason to keep borders closed within a few months.

School go back this week so expect a spike in cases but if the vaccine roll out is going well and in the UK it looks like it is that shouldn't make a difference, I have said it before we need to stop the obsession with the case numbers.

• Like 2