IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

6 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

I've seen a few people on twitter and facebook expressing similar views. Bringing back restrictions or making up new ones would be a terrible thing. 

Yes, Facebook & Twitter is where all the intelligent Manx folk like to hang out.

Thats definitely your place.

5 minutes ago, Banker said:

Mini revival for Jersey tourism, Iom business can only wish!

https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2020/07/29/positive-signs-for-tourism/

I noted they conducted nearly 900 tests again yesterday.

Jersey are light years ahead in their strategy.

It’s almost as if we’re scared to test.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Guernsey are also putting infrastructure in place for testing so they can ease border restrictions 1/09.

37 minutes ago, Banker said:

Mini revival for Jersey tourism, Iom business can only wish!

https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2020/07/29/positive-signs-for-tourism/

The Guernsey trips are sold out and more flights now added so it’s unfair to say we’re doing nothing for tourism. But it is certainly the case that uninformed public opinion is holding us back. Government seems to literally be petrified of upsetting a load of covid-obsessed lunatics who want us to go back to spuds and herring just so they can spend the next 10 years doing sod all instead of working. 

6 minutes ago, Banker said:

Guernsey are also putting infrastructure in place for testing so they can ease border restrictions 1/09.

I’m sure Ashy & Co. will have news of an exit strategy for us at the incredibly funny ‘Howard o’clock‘ briefing later today.

Maybe one of the journalists might ask a question that actually has some substance? 

Edited by Nom de plume

34 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

And the other side of that story ..

‘In order to limit the spread of the coronavirus on the Island, the States of Jersey have put in place health-protection measures for all arriving passengers. This has resulted in a drastic drop in the number of visitors.

Source https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2020/07/25/ferry-company-suspends-services-until-further-notice/

2 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

And the other side of that story ..

‘In order to limit the spread of the coronavirus on the Island, the States of Jersey have put in place health-protection measures for all arriving passengers. This has resulted in a drastic drop in the number of visitors.

Source https://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2020/07/25/ferry-company-suspends-services-until-further-notice/

I think the idea is to try & mitigate the spread of the virus, whilst gradually opening up the Island in a pragmatic manner.

They are doing a bloody good job of it too by the look of things.

Condor Ferries are the bigger passenger carriers I believe (but not 100% sure). 

2 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Maybe one of the journalists might ask a question that actually has some substance? 

That’s highly unlikely on past performance. The problem with the IOM is it’s specific demographic. Too many pensioners on fixed incomes, too many people working for government who will get paid whatever and only a small proportion of people who want or need to work. That’s really the problem (which is different to Jersey and Guernsey where residents are largely private sector) and sadly it seems that a whole pile of people have seen that if they can pad this out they’ll be getting paid to do bugger all for years as the economy dies around everyone else. It feels like a race to the bottom at the moment. We had a chance to come out of it exceptionally well but the general mood here seems to want the economy to tank as so many people seem to think that they can live on magic government money forever and they won’t be affected. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Newbie said:

That’s highly unlikely on past performance. The problem with the IOM is it’s specific demographic. Too many pensioners on fixed incomes, too many people working for government who will get paid whatever and only a small proportion of people who want or need to work. That’s really the problem (which is different to Jersey and Guernsey where residents are largely private sector) and sadly it seems that a whole pile of people have seen that if they can pad this out they’ll be getting paid to do bugger all for years as the economy dies around everyone else. It feels like a race to the bottom at the moment. We had a chance to come out of it exceptionally well but the general mood here seems to want the economy to tank as so many people seem to think that they can live on magic government money forever and they won’t be affected. 

I couldn’t agree more.

The same people will be crying for their Mummy’s teat in a couple of years when this has all gone pear shaped.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

I couldn’t agree more.

It’s happening again on Facebook this morning now following Ashfords announcement about the possible return of covid (how?) 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/island-prepared-for-possible-covid-return/

CLOSE THE BORDERS LETS HAVE ANOTHER THREE MONTHS OFF !!!! 

Edited by Mr Newbie
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Matt Hancock now stating that UK Govt now "concerned" about a 2nd wave of COVID "rolling across Europe", (Sky News this morning)

Loving this 2nd wave commentary.

The 1st wave never finished lapping up. The shear number of tests now being conducted means it’s inevitable more cases will be diagnosed.

Deaths are not rising proportionally as the world learns to isolate & care for those most vulnerable. It’s a very nasty strain of flu, nothing more. Time to live with it & get on with life.

PS - The UK Government have no right at all to speak on the matter. They have proved to be utterly incompetent.

Edited by Nom de plume