IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

There are probably enough people here on MF to fill a cruise to the Island!

Go to England to get the cruise here and I don't think they'd be bothered if the Trams or Laxey wheel are working?

What will the Tee shirt be?

'' I GOT the boat in the morning''.

• Haha 1

Just had a call from 111 to book me in on Saturday for Oxford injection at Airport . Lovely pleasant girl on the phone . Second dose in May though . And asked could I print off the consent form and bring it with me . Pretty efficent tbh as only got through on Sunday morning to register .

Edited by Numbnuts

1 hour ago, horatiotheturd said:

Sdo does this below suggest family visits this month or next? To me it does but I might simply be giving them credit for eventually  engaging common sense when they have done nothing of the sort.

"

Will enable us to pivot from elimination to mitigation

1. Preparation - little change in the measure we have in place while cases here and in the UK fall.
    Expect unknowns such as vaccine delivery to consist.
    Hopefully we can prepare to welcome friends and family to our shores.
    Any outbreak now will need a strong response.
    Probably take up March to April.

2. Transition - significant changes
    Changes to border policy, but not full removal
    Should be well into vaccine programme
    May -  all adults should have been offered first dose
    July - should have done all second doses for vulnerable people
    Assess our levels of defence and adjust position accordingly

3. Release, will have better understanding of how the vaccine is working
    Whole world will have a new plan for how to continue
    Plan for winter and removing any remaining border restrictions
    Border is our biggest defence and biggest threat
    Can only ditch restrictions when it is prudent to do so
    Where we can, we will seek external advice about whether people think it is prudent to do so from academic and public health thinking
    Hopefully September we should have vaccinated all over 18s by then
    Can’t be sure what will happen when
    We need to be ready to put measures in place if required
    While we can’t say when, we can say is how we will approach this"

No. It says preparation will take March April. So sponsored visits in May.

53 minutes ago, Barlow said:

I have expressed on a number of occasions in this forum my view that the Isle of Man could be a World leader in matters concerning the Coronavirus and how to understand and manage it etc.

Some posters disparaged my opinion. 

I would like to formally agree with those posters and accept that I may well have been somehow deluded.

Like everything with IOM Government (not specifically the politicians but the civil servants really running the show) it was only going to be a matter of time until an Emperors New Clothes style scenario arrived. What they rode the first time was a huge amount of luck and public goodwill and they genuinely believed that they were responsible for saving the IOM just by closing borders and throwing anyone who didn’t get with the programme into prison spreading fear (and public compliance). Then they decided to copy NZ and claimed eradication was what they set out for all along but then forgot that NZ also had a rigid and highly policed quarantine system and a mass testing programme that was at the core of that strategy. It might have also helped if in respect of key workers and government overseen employees they’d have made them follow the same draconian rules that they were jailing other people for breaking. 

What they then should have done rather than walking round naked thinking it was mission accomplished was tighten everything up in terms of quarantine or self isolation rules and key worker movements and then hand over to the medics and the scientists and testers etc to build controls around that and beefed up the support infrastructure to a scale that when (as it was never if) the virus came back they were properly tooled up to do the job not having phone lines and systems crash. We could have had slightly freer borders facilitating family visits and compassionate visits etc to make our quality of life better if the focus had actually been on the science not closing peoples lives down and beating us into submission because thats cheaper than delivering all of the above.  

Edited by CowMan
Typo and add sentence
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Barlow said:

I have expressed on a number of occasions in this forum my view that the Isle of Man could be a World leader in matters concerning the Coronavirus and how to understand and manage it etc.

Some posters disparaged my opinion. 

I would like to formally agree with those posters and accept that I may well have been somehow deluded.

Yes but sadly you made a catastrophic error and underestimated that IOMG would get in the way.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Numbnuts said:

I wonder did they just have extra staff on at weekends as last weekdays were impossible to get through but managed it ok on Sunday .

No double bubble unless it's a Sunday.

Not many volunteers for ordinary bubble when you could be "working from home".

Too cynical ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, horatiotheturd said:

Sdo does this below suggest family visits this month or next? To me it does but I might simply be giving them credit for eventually  engaging common sense when they have done nothing of the sort.

"

Will enable us to pivot from elimination to mitigation

1. Preparation - little change in the measure we have in place while cases here and in the UK fall.
    Expect unknowns such as vaccine delivery to consist.
    Hopefully we can prepare to welcome friends and family to our shores.
    Any outbreak now will need a strong response.
    Probably take up March to April.

2. Transition - significant changes
    Changes to border policy, but not full removal
    Should be well into vaccine programme
    May -  all adults should have been offered first dose
    July - should have done all second doses for vulnerable people
    Assess our levels of defence and adjust position accordingly

3. Release, will have better understanding of how the vaccine is working
    Whole world will have a new plan for how to continue
    Plan for winter and removing any remaining border restrictions
    Border is our biggest defence and biggest threat
    Can only ditch restrictions when it is prudent to do so
    Where we can, we will seek external advice about whether people think it is prudent to do so from academic and public health thinking
    Hopefully September we should have vaccinated all over 18s by then
    Can’t be sure what will happen when
    We need to be ready to put measures in place if required
    While we can’t say when, we can say is how we will approach this"

So, we are 'hopefully' September, and Boris is looking at 21 June. WTF. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

I wonder did they just have extra staff on at weekends as last weekdays were impossible to get through but managed it ok on Sunday .

Last week around 1000 people were told to self isolate and wait to be contacted by 111. 

They were not answering calls. They were busy making them. That is why Ashy asked people to stop trying to book vaccination appointments.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Sure, but they have been in lockdown for ages, but still have 820,000 active cases. Until that figure drops significantly, I cannot see anything happening on the borders. Additionally, let's see what happens in 2-3 weeks time now that uk schools are open. 

Where are you getting 820,000 active cases from , that’s just an outright lie !!!

UK have been having under 10k cases a day for weeks, even if it was 10k per day there would still be only 140k active after 14 days as they’re classed as recovered the same as here. Only 11000 in hospital.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Banker said:

Where are you getting 820,000 active cases from , that’s just an outright lie !!!

UK have been having under 10k cases a day for weeks, even if it was 10k per day there would still be only 140k active after 14 days as they’re classed as recovered the same as here. Only 11000 in hospital.

Worldometers. Down from 1.2 million last week, so I suspect it is accurate. 

• Haha 2