IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

UK's Sir Patrick Vallance appears to be urging caution. He says the "UK roadmap broadly follows" SAGE advice but "they just don't know what will happen" in respect of the virus when lockdown restrictions start being lifted (Sky News).

• Sad 1

If Boris somehow manages to get his 'open up' June pissup he wants (however unlikely) there's no way HQ can keep us bottled up till September. i will be interested to see the 'framework' flowery if's, but's, possibly, maybe's.

Front cover of the framework?

OasisDefinitelyMaybealbumcover.jpg

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Worldometers. Down from 1.2 million last week, so I suspect it is accurate. 

It's not accurate at all. Per 100,000 of population the IOM has more active cases than anywhere in the UK by a significant margin, also the IOM active case could will rise for the next few days at least.

Sounds like gloating I know, but the same reason why the Island was free / low initially has also been an Achilles heel.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274

Take UK figures and divide by ~800 when comparing to the IOM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, cheesypeas said:

So, we are 'hopefully' September, and Boris is looking at 21 June. WTF. 

If you believe that timeline will happen as advertised, I've got a lovely beach-front property in Kirk Michael to sell to you. It will be there for centuries, if not longer.   

• Haha 4

The IOM border reopening document states a U.K. new infection rate of 10 per 100,000 or below to trigger Level 1 (unrestricted movement on & off).

The current infection rate is 65.1 per 100,000 but that number is dwindling rapidly.

Combined with the vaccination rollout, I’d hazard a guess we’ll be moving around relatively freely by June.

• Like 3

Looking more like the key to opening borders will be the IoM vaccine roll out.

The UK is currently jabbing the 50s group and 2 of my kids in their twenties and thirties have already been jabbed as standbys.    

We are supposed to be getting the same proportion of vaccine, by population, as the the UK and are jabbing in line with deliveries. So why are we so far behind the UK? The numbers don't add up.

Edited by Lewis
Addition
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Utah 01 said:

CV is going to have to be AN Other illness that should be kept in check primarily by vaccine  and then by growing communal immunity. 

The NHS cannot be closed down in perpetuity and become an open/shut provider dependent on its CV load - what about cancer load, cardioac load, diabetes load all of which are being studiously ignored at the altar of CV.

If necessary it will have to be treated as TB (highly contagious) was in the forties and fifties with isolation hospitals.  With the amount of money magically found during the past 12 months they could have provided one for ever town, figuratively speaking, as well as restore the NHS's bed numbers which have been decimated in the past 20 years.

As a final thought, given that CV is going to be with us for ever and ever, I wonder if the parish council have given any thought (then again I know the answer) beyond the next press conference by actually planning for extra ITU beds?

The White Hoe served its purpose back in the day. I knew people who were in there with TB.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

The IOM border reopening document states a U.K. new infection rate of 10 per 100,000 or below to trigger Level 1 (unrestricted movement on & off).

The current infection rate is 65.1 per 100,000 but that number is dwindling rapidly.

Combined with the vaccination rollout, I’d hazard a guess we’ll be moving around relatively freely by June.

Thought 20 per 100k would have been more reasonable once all over 50s had vaccinations 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lewis said:

The UK is currently jabbing the 50s group and 2 of my kids in their twenties and thirties have already been jabbed as standbys.    

We are supposed to be getting the same proportion of vaccine, by population, as the the UK and are jabbing in line with deliveries. So why are we so far behind?

My fit and healthy with no underlying conditions 50 year old family member in London has also been jabbed. It is flying over there atm.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lewis said:

We are supposed to be getting the same proportion of vaccine, by population, as the the UK and are jabbing in line with deliveries. So why are we so far behind?

Because our previous Mantra was "There is no rush" because we are COVID free and is now replaced by "we are ramping up soon" because its now rampant on the Island

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

10 or lower is a bit of a surprise. I thought they might have said 20

52 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Worldometers. Down from 1.2 million last week, so I suspect it is accurate. 

Don't know how they work out their figures but the most accurate assessment of prevalence in the UK is Imperial College's REACT study. The latest round tested over 85000 people at random and found 387 positives giving a rate of 1 in 226 which would mean about 300,000 active infections. That was to mid Feb so almost certainly dropped from there since then.

There is no equivalent figure in the IoM because we don't know how many undiagnosed cases there are but even if you take the figures we know about it is higher than that at 419 active cases out of a population of 85,000 or 1 in 200