IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

27 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

The IOM border reopening document states a U.K. new infection rate of 10 per 100,000 or below to trigger Level 1 (unrestricted movement on & off).

The current infection rate is 65.1 per 100,000 but that number is dwindling rapidly.

Combined with the vaccination rollout, I’d hazard a guess we’ll be moving around relatively freely by June.

So they made it harder to get to Level 1 then?

23 minutes ago, Lewis said:

Looking more like the key to opening borders will be the IoM vaccine roll out.

The UK is currently jabbing the 50s group and 2 of my kids in their twenties and thirties have already been jabbed as standbys.    

We are supposed to be getting the same proportion of vaccine, by population, as the the UK and are jabbing in line with deliveries. So why are we so far behind?

Because DA has some strange fascination with keeping jabs in the store to ensure we have a "buffer" and work planned for the next 2 weeks rather than getting them out as quick as possible - I'm not sure he understands that you don't start to get the benefits of the vaccine until you actually get it in your arm.

Surely it would be better if they got the 10,000 currently in stock out in the next 2 days and then sat around for 5 days doing nothing!

I reckon if you added the 10,000 currently in store to our vaccination figures, we'd probably be up with or even ahead of the UK.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

So they made it harder to get to Level 1 then?

In a word - yes.

They’ve moved the goal posts even further.

They are going to face flak like they’ve never witnessed before if U.K. residents are flying around Europe come June without restriction & we are still stuck here facing 7 / 14 / 21 isolation periods because they couldn’t be arsed speeding up the first doses & are still peddling the myth Nobles won’t be able to cope then.

I’m told there are Crosby farm stays still available in July / August but they’re pricey.

26 minutes ago, Manx Yeller said:

Because DA has some strange fascination with keeping jabs in the store to ensure we have a "buffer" and work planned for the next 2 weeks rather than getting them out as quick as possible - I'm not sure he understands that you don't start to get the benefits of the vaccine until you actually get it in your arm.

Just ran some numbers and indeed that's part of it. The UK have 1st jabbed about 34% of their population versus 20% here. If the 10k in stock had already been given as 1st jabs here it would have moved that up to a  comparable 32%. 

The second part is the UK have used 95% of their total jabs as 1st jabs versus just 65% here.

Put them together and you have the UK now 1st jabbing the 50s age group and lots of younger ones to avoid wastage while we are still sending letters out to the 70s. Had we taken similar action we could have been much further down the programme, possibly even than the UK. Obviously that would have needed intelligence, proactivity and determination, all of which are in even shorter supply than vaccinations.    

Edited by Lewis
Typo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

The IOM border reopening document states a U.K. new infection rate of 10 per 100,000 or below to trigger Level 1 (unrestricted movement on & off).

The current infection rate is 65.1 per 100,000 but that number is dwindling rapidly.

Combined with the vaccination rollout, I’d hazard a guess we’ll be moving around relatively freely by June.

What does it matter what the infection rate is if hardly anyone is going to get ill due to vaccines? 

As mentioned earlier, infection rates will only rise as the UK opens up. 

• Like 3

Is the plan for all adults (those that want it) to be given the first dose by end of May or is that just when they will offer it by?

Trying to understand how this actually fits in with the plan to open up by September.  Surely if all adults have had a first dose by the end of May then the 2nd dose could only be as late as mid August but all adults may have a reasonable amount of protection towards the end of June when the first dose starts offering some protection.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Banker said:

Who knows, but CRHS have announced one of their pupils has tested positive so that’ll be another load of isolations

Probably easier to say which schools haven’t had a pupil test positive at the moment, I know of at least two in RGS and that never made the news, it was at the same time IOM G decided to stop posting low risk locations and made the decision to close schools.

4 minutes ago, Super Hans said:

Is the plan for all adults (those that want it) to be given the first dose by end of May or is that just when they will offer it by?

Trying to understand how this actually fits in with the plan to open up by September.  Surely if all adults have had a first dose by the end of May then the 2nd dose could only be as late as mid August but all adults may have a reasonable amount of protection towards the end of June when the first dose starts offering some protection.

Earliest estimates for vaccinating children is starting August...only after further vaccines approval.