IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

21 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Matt Hancock now stating that UK Govt now "concerned" about a 2nd wave of COVID "rolling across Europe", (Sky News this morning)

I agree but how is that going to end up in the IOM with border controls and a requirement to self isolate for 14 days on return from the UK? I’m sorry but it’s all just scaremongering. There are people out there who literally can’t wait for the next wave. They’ll be holding next wave parties next so that they can all collectively pray to the Gods that it’s going to happen! The fact is that we all need to learn to live with this and take risks otherwise things are just going to get worse. But the hardcore of people who seem to think they’ve been handed a get out of jail free card on all this and that they just sit at home for a few years getting paid to do sod all is untrue. There will be a very rude awakening towards the end of the third quarter of 2020. 

Edited by Mr Newbie

17 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

It’s a very nasty strain of flu, nothing more.

Authoritively dismissed earlier on these boards by Dr Rachel Glover (@rachomics) as "comparing human beings to slugs".

17 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

PS - The UK Government have no right at all to speak on the matter. They have proved to be utterly incompetent.

Precisely. And they both are our nearest neighbours and our main sea and air link connections. Doesn't inspire confidence, does it?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

I agree but how is that going to end up in the IOM with border controls and a requirement to self isolate for 14 days on return from the UK? I’m sorry but it’s all just scaremongering. There are people out there who literally can’t wait for the next wave. They’ll be holding next wave parties next so that they can all collectively pray to the Gods that it’s going to happen! The fact is that we all need to learn to live with this and take risks otherwise things are just going to get worse. But the hardcore of people who seem to think they’ve been handed a get out of jail free card on all this and that they just sit at home for a few years getting paid to do sod all is untrue. There will be a very rude awakening towards the end of the third quarter of 2020. 

You might need to wait until after 1pm for that ‘hardcore’ of people to surface & respond.

There ain’t no party like a MERA party.

8am - alarm.

8.45am - login to work remotely.

8.50am - Zzzzzzzzzzz

1pm - surface, enter MF, spread hysteria 

5.30pm - logoff work 

6pm - Co-op booze aisle & home to party

Edited by Nom de plume

If anyone thinks it is only old, fat, diabetic people who are going to get this dreadful disease they are so wrong there are young people contracting Covid 19 and mostly recovering with it, thank god, but some have been left with heart problems, lung problems etc.   Before you opinuate about this subject get your facts right it seems the posters with the most to say are the most ignorant regarding the facts.

Edited by hissingsid
Words added.

52 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

The 1st wave never finished lapping up. The shear number of tests now being conducted means it’s inevitable more cases will be diagnosed.

Deaths are not rising proportionally as the world learns to isolate & care for those most vulnerable. It’s a very nasty strain of flu, nothing more. Time to live with it & get on with life.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Have a look at the graphs on there for US cases and deaths - the deaths are once more picking up, lagging the new cases graph by about 3 weeks. Whether you call this a second wave, or if it’s just the first wave reaching the more distant (from NY) parts of the country is irrelevant. 

Are you suggesting we, and the rest of the world, should just ‘get on with it’? Because if so we will get more health services being overwhelmed and more care homes being wiped out. 

I’m afraid we’re going to have to carry on with precautions for a while yet. I’d personally like to see some border relaxations, but I’m not sure how it should be done. I don’t think mass testing of arrivals is a solution because of the potential incubation period. Jersey are taking quite a risk by not insisting on isolation of arrivals. New Zealand, widely seen as having managed covid better than most, are still using a ‘Kastle Komis’ style immigration set up as far as I know. 

https://news.sky.com/story/nz-limits-international-arrivals-to-stop-quarantine-system-being-overwhelmed-12023199

Edited by wrighty
NZ link
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

If anyone thinks it is only old, fat, diabetic people who are going to get this dreadful disease they are so wrong there are young people contracting Covid 19 and mostly recovering with it, thank god, but some have been left with heart problems, lung problems etc.   Before you opinuate about this subject get your facts right it seems the posters with the most to say are the most ignorant regarding the facts.

I think we are going around the block again with this but for the sake of your apparent ignorance on the subject.

You must weigh up the negative impact on the population as a whole.

Economy 

The treatment of existing conditions

Delay in diagnosis & treatment of new conditions 

Mental health consequences

Education 

There is a much bigger picture here but it seems there are none so blind as those that cannot see.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

The majority of our economy is recovering with things getting back to normal and with extra local spend in a lot of cases. Agreed the figures will make grim reading due to the lockdown and the SD nonsense that followed, but other than tourism we are now doing okay. I personally think we should all live with this virus without SD restrictions etc whilst shielding the vulnerable, but I am in a minority, so the choice as I see it is to keep the current tight controls and keep going until spring, or relax travel restrictions, get some new cases and then inevitably return to bureaucratic rules and SD restrictions along with possible local lockdowns. If these are the options, I choose keeping restrictions. Tourism is now a non event until next easter. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Nom de plume said:

I think we are going around the block again with this but for the sake of your apparent ignorance on the subject...

Oh the irony. It's people like you who're "going around the block." You, Mr. Newbie (sic) and all the other invincible heroes continually repeat yourselves. Everyone by now is familiar with your views on what we should and should not be doing, do you not realise each time you post you're really only saying the same thing using different words, ad nauseum? Same shit different day...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

I think we are going around the block again with this but for the sake of your apparent ignorance on the subject.

You must weigh up the negative impact on the population as a whole.

Economy 

The treatment of existing conditions

Delay in diagnosis & treatment of new conditions 

Mental health consequences

Education 

There is a much bigger picture here but it seems there are none so blind as those that cannot see.

I see all that. 

On the IOM we’re doing well on all those counts. Local economy is ticking along, health services are coming back online, schools were back to normal. They’re all at risk however if we get community transmission again. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Before you opinuate about this subject get your facts right it seems the posters with the most to say are the most ignorant regarding the facts.

It seems that it’s really a load of bored petrified pensioners like you who are ignoring the facts. If you’re that scared because of your age or health then you should have shielded yourself since the middle of March not demanded that the whole world stops around you. There will be something new to worry about soon. Nobody will have any money as the state support is ending and people will start to be laid off in record numbers. Still I suppose even then you can still afford to sit in your house posting scaremongering covid rubbish on your pension forever! 

8 minutes ago, wrighty said:

On the IOM we’re doing well on all those counts. Local economy is ticking along, health services are coming back online, schools were back to normal. They’re all at risk however if we get community transmission again. 

How is that going to happen. We’ve got entry controls and a requirement to self isolate for two weeks. How is this forecast second wave going to happen here exactly outside of a few isolated cases which will be found and traced within the matter of a day or so? 

16 minutes ago, wrighty said:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Have a look at the graphs on there for US cases and deaths - the deaths are once more picking up, lagging the new cases graph by about 3 weeks. Whether you call this a second wave, or if it’s just the first wave reaching the more distant (from NY) parts of the country is irrelevant. 

Are you suggesting we, and the rest of the world, should just ‘get on with it’? Because if so we will get more health services being overwhelmed and more care homes being wiped out. 

I’m afraid we’re going to have to carry on with precautions for a while yet. I’d personally like to see some border relaxations, but I’m not sure how it should be done. I don’t think mass testing of arrivals is a solution because of the potential incubation period. Jersey are taking quite a risk by not insisting on isolation of arrivals. New Zealand, widely seen as having managed covid better than most, are still using a ‘Kastle Komis’ style immigration set up as far as I know. 

https://news.sky.com/story/nz-limits-international-arrivals-to-stop-quarantine-system-being-overwhelmed-12023199

Assume there was a way to effectively shield all the vulnerable, and the rest of the island’s population did get on with it without restrictions. I am aware that this is theoretical as people would be scared and act unpredictably, and that that there would always be weaknesses in any shielding that would create another Abbotswood, but assume that we could, in which case am I mistaken in believing that the virus whilst not being the flu, is not that big a deal for 99% of people and the damage being done economically and through the neglect of other health issues far outweighs the actual effects of the virus?