IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

On 3/4/2021 at 9:01 PM, Nom de plume said:

Exit strategy early next week will have the bed wetters drowning in their own piss.

You were never going to be on the right side of the debate with comments like that. But I am genuinely surprised that the exit strategy doesn't seem to have made you happy. Try to hold on tight.

Thank goodness that the government here doesn't have to pay any attention to people like Steve Baker MP. Right?

1 hour ago, Nom de plume said:

telling everyone no summer holidays for you!

Let's be honest: Absolutely nobody with any kind of perception of reality will have been expecting to go away on vacation this year.  Even the travel industry knows that. It will be rebuilt from scratch with completely new models.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

I see virtual Tynpotwald has voted to postpone the local parish pump elections from April to July 2021. What I find somewhat strange is that various events have been cancelled, and yet islanders are denied basic freedoms especially in the guise of the border strategy. If the island residents are in some respects being held hostage till September, then it is fair to say that the local parish pump elections should be held at the same time as the general election - perhaps this may cut down on additional costs to the taxpayers. 

Listening to this today one of the frequently used phrases was that another postponement to the date Mr Baker proposed  would be potentially more expensive for candidates who may want to run for both local and general elections and cause uncertainty for those who may miss out locally and then problems with having enough time to prepare and canvass for the nationals.

Some also thought it might confuse the public if it was held on the same day as locals.

All mentioned something about it being bad for democracy.

Hooper made the most sense and he was not comfortable with a couple of things. Chris Thomas made a useful comment or two as well. Good lively debate for once. 

Baker to have a rethink and bring back to Tynwald. 

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

Well, when you get paid without fail every month you don't need to worry about such trivialities.

The vast majority of the income generating non govt working population are in gaming/tech/finance/legal or else are trading locally. It's a relative minority who need to travel for work. 

• Haha 4

Went to Chester street inoculation centre to receive my second dose of the Pfizer Biontech vaccine at 14:45 today. Was surprised when told we are not doing it today, Thursdays and Fridays come back at 16:00 on Friday. You should of been informed earlier, Seemed I was not alone. A son had brought his mother in from Colby for same injection, Were being a bit more verbal than I was. What is going on why was the day changed and not been informed, Answer left me a bit flabergasted. We do not have it so can not give it to you. Now did this mean they had given my and other peoples doses away (I thought the Pfiser dosage had gap between first and second unchanged) Or had they forgot to defrost my jab. Or had they just fucked up once again.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, pongo said:

Let's be honest: Absolutely nobody with any kind of perception of reality will have been expecting to go away on vacation this year.  Even the travel industry knows that. It will be rebuilt from scratch with completely new models.

I agree, not many were considering far flung holidays, but plenty will have been planning to see UK based family and friends. A 14/21 day isolation period until September is simply not acceptable if the UK situation continues on it's current trajectory, and is set free in June. This glacial, overly cautious approach needs to be adjusted over the summer months. The government have pleasantly surprised me at times over the last year, so I still have hope. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, pongo said:

You were never going to be on the right side of the debate with comments like that. But I am genuinely surprised that the exit strategy doesn't seem to have made you happy. Try to hold on tight.

Thank goodness that the government here doesn't have to pay any attention to people like Steve Baker MP. Right?

Think you’re the only person other than Cambon who has anything positive to say about document and that’s not only on MF.

Think you’re deluded if you don’t think UK will be having holidays this year, UK announcement today that UK domestic cruising can restart 17/05 .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nom de plume said:

It’s just one lie after another & moving the goalposts to see them through to the election.

Who’d have thought it - kids back in school in the U.K. & they’re scrambling around making case numbers up, locking us up, then telling everyone no summer holidays for you!

I said 6 months ago there wont be any opening of borders until after the election.  No mhk wants to raise their head above the parapet and risk losing their place on the gravy train.

7 minutes ago, pongo said:

The vast majority of the income generating non govt working population are in gaming/tech/finance/legal or else are trading locally. It's a relative minority who need to travel for work. 

Gaming businesses don't need to travel?

They don't go to negotiate sponsorship agreements?

They don't go to trade shows?

They don't have BDMs whose whole job is to travel around the world and generate business?

They don't Schmooz their best clients and suppliers all over the world?

What planet do you live on?

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Hmmmm said:

It is not clear.  The fact there is ongoing contact tracing is suggestive a number of these cases were not in isolation.  The lack of clarity on a point that is so important is bewildering. 

It appears that it is this government's intention that the actual circumstances around these cases remains unclear, but what we do know is that the degree of compliance with the social distancing measures by the Manx community as a whole seems pretty high. For that reason even if these new cases were not strictly self-isolating they would probably not pose much of a threat to the wider community anyway, only to their immediate friends and family.

I reckon many people are feeling very annoyed and a bit scared, and therefore they are hiding away from the virus. By doing this they are protecting both themselves and also the rest of us. If we all keep behaving sensibly, this lockdown should end on schedule on 24 March, so stay safe everyone.   

Edited by code99

3 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Gaming businesses don't need to travel?

They don't go to negotiate sponsorship agreements?

They don't go to trade shows?

They don't have BDMs whose whole job is to travel around the world and generate business?

They don't Schmooz their best clients and suppliers all over the world?

What planet do you live on?

A lot of that travel is never coming back. Staff aren't even going to be going to the office so often from now on.

Most business travel is hugely ineffective and inefficient. At huge cost - both financially and to the environment. Companies are going to increasingly need to justify travel from now on. That's a big part of this reset.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

BBC NW are reporting online (I’ve been sent a screenshot) that ‘the current lockdown will be in place until the end of April’ - that is, not the 21 days we currently believe - and claim that Quayle said so. Their reportage is unequivocal. This, I think, misinterprets (understandably given how awful Quayle’s verbal comms are) his remarks that ‘current arrangements will not be changed until at least the end of April’ whereby he was referring to border controls, not the current lockdown. Is my analysis here correct (or at least reasonable) or has Quayle expressly and unequivocally said that the current lockdown will not be lifted until the end of April? (Being a further 7 weeks away).

Edited by Uhtred