IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

59 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I would imagine it's slightly easier and quicker.  With Pfizer you have to be very exact about the amount you inject if you want to get the maximum six doses out of a vial, which in turn means you have to be exact about dilution as well. 

And with Pfizer, recipients are supposed to be under supervision for 15 minutes after injection  before leaving.  For AZ the only limitation is not driving for 15 minutes afterwards (as for any vaccination) so people can leave straight away to be driven off or sit in their car.  This must free up space and staff from supervision.

Also, once defrosted, apparently Pfizer cannot be transported. Therefore, any mobile hubs, etc have to use AZ. 

6 hours ago, John Wright said:

Paul Moulton has no medical qualifications. 

And Doctor Ewart has?

ETA:

(Actually, apparently she has)

22 hours ago, Barlow said:

I have expressed on a number of occasions in this forum my view that the Isle of Man could be a World leader in matters concerning the Coronavirus and how to understand and manage it etc.

Some posters disparaged my opinion. 

I would like to formally agree with those posters and accept that I may well have been somehow deluded.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/mar/10/got-rid-covid-19-faroe-islands-competence-luck

As it turns out, the real world leader is the Faroe Islands, not us. According to an article in the Guardian today:

• Unlike most other governments, we decided early on that we wanted to influence the behaviour of our citizens by issuing recommendations – not by making laws.
  • The Faroe Islands had the world’s highest rate of testing per capita last year. We tested up to 2% of the population – or 1,000 people – every day (our total population just over 50,000).
  • In June, we required that all travellers to the Faroe Islands were tested at the airport on arrival, and we recommended they get tested again six days later.
  • Our elimination of Covid is a story about the ingenuity of individuals and organisations with no history of collaboration working together during the pandemic. Of course, other factors have played a part too. Geography matters: sea and air are the only arrival points to the Faroe Islands, making it easy to manage potential Covid cases among incoming travellers. 

• A survey conducted last May by the University of the Faroe Islands indicates that most Faroese have a high level of trust in the government, the prime minister, the Faroese media, their own municipality, the head of police, health authorities and experts, and, finally, in the Faroese people in general.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

14 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

I had a headache and sore legs today. Could have been a load of things that caused them. Am I supposed to get a covid test and isolate everytime I get those things?

3 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

Yeah, a year ago I had a really sore throat, wasn't enough to stop me going to work or doing my usual stuff but maybe it was covid. who knows.

Covid is largely idiopathic, which is medical speak for "fuck knows", and we will only get a better understanding with much more data. So test, test, test and follow up track and trace....and isolation.

Then there is a requirement to use intelligence to interrogate, organise and understand that data. I suppose that is the difficult bit.

Ah well, maybe best to just wander around rudderless on a stormy sea. We hit a lovely desert Island last year, but that sunk into the sea.

ETA:

Cross post with code99 excellent post on Faroe Islands:

https://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/65760-iom-covid-removing-restrictions/&do=findComment&comment=1499788

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, code99 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/mar/10/got-rid-covid-19-faroe-islands-competence-luck

As it turns out, the real world leader is the Faroe Islands, not us. According to an article in the Guardian today:

• Unlike most other governments, we decided early on that we wanted to influence the behaviour of our citizens by issuing recommendations – not by making laws.
  • The Faroe Islands had the world’s highest rate of testing per capita last year. We tested up to 2% of the population – or 1,000 people – every day (our total population just over 50,000).
  • In June, we required that all travellers to the Faroe Islands were tested at the airport on arrival, and we recommended they get tested again six days later.
  • Our elimination of Covid is a story about the ingenuity of individuals and organisations with no history of collaboration working together during the pandemic. Of course, other factors have played a part too. Geography matters: sea and air are the only arrival points to the Faroe Islands, making it easy to manage potential Covid cases among incoming travellers. 

• A survey conducted last May by the University of the Faroe Islands indicates that most Faroese have a high level of trust in the government, the prime minister, the Faroese media, their own municipality, the head of police, health authorities and experts, and, finally, in the Faroese people in general.

They tested 1,000 a day.

Thats the takeaway.

We were told it was a complete and utter waste of time & resources by our experts.

Thats all you, me & everyone else here needs to know.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Another day with no briefing following Mondays tempestuous affair. I had expected them to try something to take the heat off, maybe drag Alf Infront of the cameras, instead there is some fluffy escape plan 'debate' going out later. 

I saw on government Facebook page that Mark lewin CEO enterprise is doing a briefing with Henny on exit strategy document at 5pm on utube channel.

WTF Mark’s doing it rather than Skelly or Howie other than he probably wrote it is surprising 

Re the Faroe Islands Covid article. I wonder if The Guardian had a parallel article about the Isle of Man, ready to publish when some guy shouts down to the print room "Stop The Press!"

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

They tested 1,000 a day.

Thats the takeaway.

We were told it was a complete and utter waste of time & resources by our experts.

Thats all you, me & everyone else here needs to know.

We achieved the same result without testing 1,000 per day so it would have been a complete and utter waste of time and resources.

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Southernman said:

We achieved the same result without testing 1,000 per day so it would have been a complete and utter waste of time and resources.

Eh?  Ylu know we are locked down for the second time this year? If people can't see how this would have helped i despair.  Would have likely been cheaper than 2 unnecessary lockdowns.

No MGP confirmed so that will cheer some up

Edited by horatiotheturd
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Southernman said:

How so?

We have no idea how many residents of our Island have been exposed to the virus.

I’d have thought that data would be Gold in the struggle to keep a handle on the virus, it’s transmission routes & ability to make judgements / planning on it’s effects here.

So the Faroe Islands were foolish in their methods?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

The UK currently tests 1.5 million people a day. That's the equivalent of 1800 tests a day here. (1.5 million divided by 800)

Their case rate is about 62.2 per 100,000 population over the most recent 7 day period.

Our case rate is 81.8 per 100,000 population over the last 7 day period.

In the past week, the UK has done 6.27 million tests. The equivalent here would be 7830 roughly. We've done 3751 over that period.

Does the UK figure include lateral flow tests?

30 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Re the Faroe Islands Covid article. I wonder if The Guardian had a parallel article about the Isle of Man, ready to publish when some guy shouts down to the print room "Stop The Press!"

"Drop the Dead Donkey!" more like