IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

6 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

The UK currently tests 1.5 million people a day. That's the equivalent of 1800 tests a day here. (1.5 million divided by 800)

Their case rate is about 62.2 per 100,000 population over the most recent 7 day period.

Our case rate is 81.8 per 100,000 population over the last 7 day period.

In the past week, the UK has done 6.27 million tests. The equivalent here would be 7830 roughly. We've done 3751 over that period.

Sshhhhh

According to some on here the UK is still in a much worse position than we are despite having lower cases, more testing (which means the figures are artificially skewed in our favour) more people vaccinated and of course many many more people with a level of natural imunity from previous infection.

I am sure if I could be arsed to search back six months ths there were posts saying our bubble would implode and then when the rest of the world starting coming out of this we would be left behind.  Aplarently that could never happen 

There were sound bites on MR at 1:00 p.m. from disgruntled Mannin Line callers who have experienced difficulties with being told that they'd  turned up on the wrong day for their vaccinations and who hadn't received the (alleged) letters alerting them as to date changes. Based on the accents, all these callers are from rural Lancashire. How very odd.

10 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Sshhhhh

According to some on here the UK is still in a much worse position than we are despite having lower cases, more testing (which means the figures are artificially skewed in our favour) more people vaccinated and of course many many more people with a level of natural imunity from previous infection.

I am sure if I could be arsed to search back six months ths there were posts saying our bubble would implode and then when the rest of the world starting coming out of this we would be left behind.  Aplarently that could never happen 

I'll freely hold my hands up and add that I didn't account for the UK's lateral flow testing.

The IoM is doing more PCR testing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

I'll freely hold my hands up and add that I didn't account for the UK's lateral flow testing.

The IoM is doing more PCR testing.

True.

We are also currently making people wait days and days for a test.  Maybe some quicker easier tests might not be a bad idea.

Who knows how many positives we currently have.  Easily twice what is being reported at a guess.

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Another day with no briefing following Mondays tempestuous affair. I had expected them to try something to take the heat off, maybe drag Alf Infront of the cameras, instead there is some fluffy escape plan 'debate' going out later. 

Especially given that there were daily briefings (sometimes week-round) last year.  I think Quayle is now too scared to face the media and too insecure to let anyone else do it.  There are all sorts of things that need asking or making clear to the public, yet no will to communicate during what looks to be a far worse outbreak than a year ago.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Especially given that there were daily briefings (sometimes week-round) last year.  I think Quayle is now too scared to face the media and too insecure to let anyone else do it.  There are all sorts of things that need asking or making clear to the public, yet no will to communicate during what looks to be a far worse outbreak than a year ago.

After the stick Howie & co took in Tynwald yesterday they’re keeping heads down & letting exit strategy be discussed without awkward questions 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

There were sound bites on MR at 1:00 p.m. from disgruntled Mannin Line callers who have experienced difficulties with being told that they'd  turned up on the wrong day for their vaccinations and who hadn't received the (alleged) letters alerting them as to date changes. Based on the accents, all these callers are from rural Lancashire. How very odd.

It's ok, they are just messing around with some of the come overs. Breaks the boredom.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Is it a worse outbreak than are year ago?  I don't think so, if we had done all the testing we are doing now last year then the figures would have been very different.

Plus other than giving people proper figures there isn't really much to report as we have all been there and done it before.

All they really need to be clear about is if they intend to eradicate again. When the last "community case was". What numbers they are looking for to remove restrictions.

The vaccine policy appears to have changed to more first doses which is good so as long as they keep delivering as promised that's fine.

Most of the rest has become a bit tedious and pointless .

They just need to be clear about the way out of lockdown and then away from border restrictions.  Unless something major happens I don't know what else we need to know?  I have a feeling DOE will be saying what they have been told to say rather than what they want to say later.

The majority of the business community seem to want to see things open up more quickly than that shmbolic document suggests.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I suspect they are sensing a public mood swing. Many of the public are thoroughly tired and fed up with this whole ongoing saga, which was only salved by the fact we could exist quite nicely in our Covid free Brigadoon. Whether justified or not, the public have had that existence swiped away from them, seemingly due to Comin not proactively getting to grips with the SPC situation. The issues had indeed been highlighted in lockdown 2.0 by Tim Glover. They have then gone on to issue an exit plan that has also bombed with the public. If they are able, they will hunker down until they can report some good news, such as 5000 jabs in a week, or a massive decline in cases. I am not sure it matters anymore though, the bubble has been burst and Gef will have a lot of surplus Howie and Ashford tee shirts on discount. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1