IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

4 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Doesn't matter. If you test positive on a LF test, you have a PCR test to confirm.

The bigger issue for Lateral Flow Tests is the number of positives that they don't pick up. Very user dependant, but in Liverpool where they undertook mass testing with lateral flow tests, they only detected around 40% of the positives, so it is difficult to know how much you can rely on them at present.

If a significant proportion of total tests are Lateral Flow Tests, it does degrade the overall effectiveness of the testing

• Like 3

2 hours ago, horatiotheturd said:

Eh?  Ylu know we are locked down for the second time this year? If people can't see how this would have helped i despair.  Would have likely been cheaper than 2 unnecessary lockdowns.

No MGP confirmed so that will cheer some up

Who would you have tested before the outbreak emerged?

9 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Actually the point I’m trying to make is that those who’ve been scared to their wits end are going to soon have justification for their fears ... if ... as we’ve been spoon fed for the last 12 months this virus is as deadly as they’ve made out to all of us.

But ... here’s the rub.

What if nobody really does get sick, the hospital isn’t overwhelmed & we aren’t digging mass graves?

I’m not listening to those telling me ... but but but the over 75’s have been vaccinated now Nom.

If thats the case, let’s open up and get on with it.

The next 2 / 3 weeks will tell us all what we need to know.

If we hadn't locked down this time there's a very good chance the hospital would have been overwhelmed, we'd be digging graves, and the crem would be doing overtime within another week or so.

And if we'd locked down earlier this time when we first knew there was community and school spread and we ended up with fewer cases, people would have complained that we shouldn't have locked down at all. 

It's the old "damned if do, damned if you don't". 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

That's a point certainly. But given the huge population there will be still more not had it/unvaccinated than had it/vaccinated.

You think?  I reckon over half will have had it or been vaccinated.

They are vaccinating huge numbers and don't forget the "cases" are only the ones who had a positive test.

There will be .Ilminster who just lived with symptoms as they didn't want to isolate or had no symptoms at all.

1 minute ago, horatiotheturd said:

They are vaccinating huge numbers and don't forget the "cases" are only the ones who had a positive test.

There will be .Ilminster who just lived with symptoms as they didn't want to isolate or had no symptoms at all.

True. But if you think about it, millions will still fall into the bracket of not had it/unvaccinated. Long way from the so called herd immunity

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Southernman said:

Who would you have tested before the outbreak emerged?

A random cross section  of society.  Same number from the same age groups every week.

If it picked up random cases - bonus.

If it didn't we could at least continue doing the same during an "outbreak" and know realy how widespread it was.

Only testing those with symptoms or known close contacts is pointless 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zarley said:

TBF I was referring more to the question "what's domestic cruising". 

Cruising and cottaging are distinct terms with different meanings. You can cruise whilst cottaging and cottage whilst cruising.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, horatiotheturd said:

Concerns cited on Sky News yesterday about the lack of vaccination of the UK's 1.3M illegal immigrants who won't appear on any NHS vaccination call-up by dint of the fact that they shouldn't officially be in the country. Plus any religious or cultural leanings that may deter them from being vaccinated as well.

A charity-funded vaccination hub was covered in the article which is offering "no questions asked" jabs to illegal immigrants, it had had a take up of just 2000 since opening.