IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

5 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

What's coming out of the chimney then?

DFE announcing a new blockbuster being filmed up Jurby, £100million of taxpayers money going into:

Douglas is falling, starring Gérard Butler but they might have to bring in his 2nd cousin Juan owing to the border issues.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

you lost me!

A crematorium uses either gas or oil to burn bodies. To generate electricity from heat you need to heat water to create steam to drive a turbine. To do this you would have to burn even more gas or electricity as there is very little excess heat. 

It is more a case of recovering what would be otherwise waste heat.

20 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

you lost me!

A crematorium uses either gas or oil to burn bodies. To generate electricity from heat you need to heat water to create steam to drive a turbine. To do this you would have to burn even more gas or electricity as there is very little excess heat. 

I'm sure it's gas, not sure how we'll do it with renewable but I believe in India they use electric cremators.

27 minutes ago, Zarley said:

The Noble's Park fiasco in... '92 or '93? Not their finest hour at all. Downright despicable.

Don’t remember the year, but was quite surprised to find one of our more elderly employees involved. Don’t know how he managed it in his lunch hour, didn’t know he had it in him. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Especially given that there were daily briefings (sometimes week-round) last year.  I think Quayle is now too scared to face the media and too insecure to let anyone else do it. 

Nonsense. I think the CM has come to enjoy the  combative nature of these encounters. He firmly put Tim Glover in his place in the last briefing.

That said some of the media representatives need to realize these question sessions should be used to help  inform the public, by for example drilling down to the detail of what has been announced. Asking the questions the public would. Instead a couple of them use these opportunities to try to make themselves look clever, ( the use of mock incredulity etc) and failing miserably.

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, horatiotheturd said:

You think?  I reckon over half will have had it or been vaccinated.

They are vaccinating huge numbers and don't forget the "cases" are only the ones who had a positive test.

And no one else reckons that - at least not if they've looked at the figures.  Just because you hope something will be true, it doesn't mean it will be.  Before they stopped doing the antibody study was axed, the numbers who had had contact with the virus was showing very low only a couple of percent at best and it won't have increased much till this month.

As for vaccines, the dashboard is currently showing 18,702 first doses, which would be 22%, but the vaccine only works properly after a few weeks, so it will be less than that.

59 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

[I would test] A random cross section  of society.  Same number from the same age groups every week.

If it picked up random cases - bonus.

But all that would tell you if it was present on the Island or not.  It's not like the UK when they know it's there so they are testing for prevalence.  You are better concentrating on those most likely to be exposed.

55 minutes ago, Southernman said:

So after 300 negative tests a day for 9 months you'd be pretty pleased for a positive result.

Actually it was only around 50-60 a day for most of that period (and you'll find plenty of critical comments on MF about that).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

And no one else reckons that - at least not if they've looked at the figures.  Just because you hope something will be true, it doesn't mean it will be.  Before they stopped doing the antibody study was axed, the numbers who had had contact with the virus was showing very low only a couple of percent at best and it won't have increased much till this month.

As for vaccines, the dashboard is currently showing 18,702 first doses, which would be 22%, but the vaccine only works properly after a few weeks, so it will be less than that.

But all that would tell you if it was present on the Island or not.  It's not like the UK when they know it's there so they are testing for prevalence.  You are better concentrating on those most likely to be exposed.

Actually it was only around 50-60 a day for most of that period (and you'll find plenty of critical comments on MF about that).

You are talking about the wrong country 

41 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Not correct, one line (albeit on a smallish ship MS Maud) has 4 cruises booked to call at Douglas this summer starting on the 4th July.

How will that work? If I understand the exit strategy correctly, stage B (April - August) involves sponsored visits, first from family, then others, but the testing and isolation continues.

There won't be free movement without testing and isolation until stage C, which starts in September.

Are the cruise ships going to drop anchor in Douglas Bay so they can all stand on deck and wave to the DoI workers on the prom?

Or maybe put them on a dinghy and row them to the Tower of Refuge to stretch their legs? Obviously not at low tide or they might escape. 

Edited by Zarley
Fat fingers
  • Confused 1

Only in the Isle of Man. Government presentation on the Covid Exit Strategy just started - hosted by Isle of Man Government. Not an independent journalist in sight. Predicting the future hasn't really worked for them so far and I've a feeling that you'll be able to wipe your arse on this document in a few weeks time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Zarley said:

How will that work? If I understand the exit strategy correctly, stage B (April - August) involves sponsored visits, first from family, then others, but the testing and isolation continues.

There won't be free movement without testing and isolation until stage C, which starts in September.

Are the cruise ships going to drop anchor in Douglas Bay so they can all stand on deck and wave to the DoI workers on the prom?

Or maybe put them on a dinghy and row them to the Tower of Refuge to stretch their legs? Obviously not at low tide of they might escape. 

I suspect it is an old itinerary published and booked before covid.