IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

Just now, pongo said:

We've already established that I don't work for govt in any sense and am off to the right of Mrs Thatcher on economics (as we learned when you were daftly trying to defend trade unions and the old fashioned state run Post Office against modern working practices and the right of people to do what the heck they want). 

Who’s established you don’t work for government? It seems clear that you do as you defend everything they say or do

Just now, Banker said:

Who’s established you don’t work for government? It seems clear that you do as you defend everything they say or do

I'd happily scrap 90% of the state @Banker. Especially the shitty old fashioned unionised bits you have previously frequently defended.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I listened to the Kate Lord Brennan interview referred to earlier in this thread.

She sounded quite critical and cynical about the new Strategy, but she shied away from answering whether she will actually voice those criticisms in Tynwald. She talked about a public debate being needed not but didn't say how that will be conducted.

Seems to have only recently found a voice, like so many of them, unless it is a pet project. Not sure what hers is though.

• Like 2

One thing this last year has exposed for all to see is the systemic problems at almost all levels and sectors of government. From the inability to prepare for a mass vaccination program when everyone said from the beginning the only way out was a vaccine. Basic things like one single phone number for booking vaccinations and booking tests, to not even have an online booking sytem ready nor apparently doing any sort of checks in those 6 or 7 months on the ports and abandoning tests for arrivals and refusing to pay for them when they were reintroduced became an option. 

Yes, a lot of things were uinknown at the start and I've every sympathy for those that had to get a grip on it. And that includes everyone who played by the rules 'did the right thing' even at some personal and financial cost in most cases.

And here we are within sight of the finish line 12 months later and it feels like it was all thrown away because someone wouldn't admit there was a problem until it was way too late. Like the Titanics unsinkability myth, it only lasted until the captain steered it into the iceberg field. And the band plays on.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Apple said:

I listened to the Kate Lord Brennan interview referred to earlier in this thread.

She sounded quite critical and cynical about the new Strategy, but she shied away from answering whether she will actually voice those criticisms in Tynwald. She talked about a public debate being needed not but didn't say how that will be conducted.

I think the MLCs (the active ones anyway not the ones you haven’t heard from since last March, or the one or two you don’t even know the name of) and the back benchers need to get together now and form some sort of alliance to push change in COMIN. There is no point in having single voices that do nothing anymore. They need to band together on a few core covid issues (bordered policy, testing, opening up) and be the group that pressures government more. I don’t think they have the bottle to do it though. They’re happier throwing rocks individually that never hit target. But come the election you can predict that there will be so many angry, pissed off, skint people now that they’re going to wish they did by September as the best job prospects they’re going to have in this market is to get back in. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CowMan said:

There is no point in having single voices that do nothing anymore. They need to band together on a few core covid issues (bordered policy, testing, opening up) and be the group that pressures government more. I don’t think they have the bottle to do it though. They’re happier throwing rocks individually that never hit target.

True.

If they were however going to group then who would lead them. The only really verbal critics of current govt thinking are Hooper and Thomas. Robertshaw ?

None of the MLC's would do it even though is one that could in my view.

I anticipate the next Tynwald session will show up the best candidates for the next general election I think. There are major issues to be debated and we are running out of time for any major changes in this administration.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CowMan said:

I think the MLCs (the active ones anyway not the ones you haven’t heard from since last March, or the one or two you don’t even know the name of) and the back benchers need to get together now and form some sort of alliance to push change in COMIN. There is no point in having single voices that do nothing anymore. They need to band together on a few core covid issues (bordered policy, testing, opening up) and be the group that pressures government more. I don’t think they have the bottle to do it though. They’re happier throwing rocks individually that never hit target. But come the election you can predict that there will be so many angry, pissed off, skint people now that they’re going to wish they did by September as the best job prospects they’re going to have in this market is to get back in. 

You're so shockingly out of touch. And obviously you have always here tended towards polemical and extreme negative superlatives. Never a neutral or balanced perspective.

Most normals are disappointed that this outbreak is happening but also understand that it's incredibly difficult to always get everything right. Normals are not up in arms or demanding to see the manager.

Come the election - mostly the same people will be elected.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, pongo said:

You're so shockingly out of touch. And obviously you have always here tended towards polemical and extreme negative superlatives. Never a neutral or balanced perspective.

Most normals are disappointed that this outbreak is happening but also understand that it's incredibly difficult to always get everything right. Normals are not up in arms or demanding to see the manager.

Come the election - mostly the same people will be elected.

"Normals" are however wishing the manager would pop out and say oops sorry, but we will get back on track. 

Does that make me a Karen? 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, pongo said:

I'd happily scrap 90% of the state @Banker. Especially the shitty old fashioned unionised bits you have previously frequently defended.

Scrap 90% of the state, I’d love to see that list.

Presume:

Education, Health, Fire, Social Care, Prison System, Coastguard, Libraries, Museums, Heritage, Post Office, Trading Standards, Health and Safety Executive, Building Control et al. 

Which 10% would you keep?  Police, Defence, Judiciary, Regulators?

Just now, Gladys said:

"Normals" are however wishing the manager would pop out and say oops sorry, but we will get back on track. 

Does that make me a Karen? 

I think Gladys that the moment they start insulting you and constantly trying to undermine your posts in a targeted way it’s a sign that you’ve probably hit the right points. I do find it hard to believe that some posters here don’t work for government the amount of subtle bullying, belittling, undermining, and outright claims of superiority over all others that seems to go on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CowMan said:

I think Gladys that the moment they start insulting you and constantly trying to undermine your posts in a targeted way it’s a sign that you’ve probably hit the right points. I do find it hard to believe that some posters here don’t work for government the amount of subtle bullying, belittling, undermining, and outright claims of superiority over all others that seems to go on. 

I’m sure some posters here work for government. But they are no more or less likely to be people with the unattractive traits you have listed, than other posters

• Thanks 1