IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

5 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I guess there'ill be an upside to this, in that most of those isolating with the virus will come out the other side with antibodies, theoretically adding to them to the herd that has been vaccinated. So in some ways, the more the merrier.  

A weekend of rona parties with loads of hugging, then everyone stay home for a couple of weeks.

Much cheaper than vaccine hubs.

• Haha 2

Just now, TheTeapot said:

I didn't say it was pointless, just that I didn't really see what the point was. A small, but important difference.

Ah.  See. That's a difference between you and me.

If I don't see the point in something it by default is pointless for everyone because I am always right 😀

(Did I just disclose my identity as a senior civil servant?)

• Haha 2

Fomite transmission still persists. Certain materials used in hospital clothing can harbour and transmit the virus longer than others. Obviously the same applies to civilian apparel. Still can't understand why there isn't the same emphasis to wash one's face regularly, as with washing hands. Stands to reason.

Israeli research...

https://m.jpost.com/health-science/coronavirus-can-remain-on-some-fabrics-up-to-3-days-study-661496

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Beelzebub3 said:

I cannot understand why they cannot open even for mornings to allow folk to get rid of rubbish,

They can according to the gov. https://covid19.gov.im/general-information/managing-household-waste/

"Civic amenity sites around the island can remain open provided appropriate arrangements for social distancing are in place."

Not sure who's closing them.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

A weekend of rona parties with loads of hugging, then everyone stay home for a couple of weeks.

Much cheaper than vaccine hubs.

Interesting to see final cost if these hubs, Westminster Abbey being used as a hub in uk, just a few chairs ,desks & screens, probably doing more than ours combined and not costing c£250k

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Banker said:

Interesting to see final cost if these hubs, Westminster Abbey being used as a hub in uk, just a few chairs ,desks & screens, probably doing more than ours combined and not costing c£250k

To be fair, Westminster Abbey is one of a few buildings that likely cost more than our (slow) Vaccine rollout .

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, piebaps said:

They can according to the gov. https://covid19.gov.im/general-information/managing-household-waste/

"Civic amenity sites around the island can remain open provided appropriate arrangements for social distancing are in place."

Not sure who's closing them.

The local authorities in line with government advice!!! Absolutely a shambles 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/amenity-sites-closed-for-public-safety/

23 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I guess there'ill be an upside to this, in that most of those isolating with the virus will come out the other side with antibodies, theoretically adding to them to the herd that has been vaccinated. So in some ways, the more the merrier.  

A small amount of catch up societal immunity perhaps. At the moment we are akin to a newly discovered Amazonian village meeting chicken pox for the first time.

• Like 2

Just now, madmanxpilot said:

A small amount of catch up societal immunity perhaps. At the moment we are akin to a newly discovered Amazonian village meeting chicken pox for the first time.

The thing is we can’t be sure what % of our population has already been infected & got through it with the mildest of symptoms, if any at all.

Jersey concluded tests 316,000

Isle of Man 38,000

We are learning now that this virus is only visible in the majority if you test for it.

We never did.

38 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I'm not entirely sure I see the point of even getting now tested really, if I started feeling ill I'd just stay in bed and ride it out rather than drag my sick ass all the way to the grandstand to find out what I already expected. I'd go get tested if we weren't in lockdown, that would make sense, but now? Much less so.

I am sure many feel the same. So you catch the virus but have no particular interest where you picked it up from or who you may have caught it from. You're on lockdown anyway so just isolate for a couple of weeks or so.

But as important as the test itself is the track and trace. Which is fundamental to understanding and defeating the virus.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

The thing is we can’t be sure what % of our population has already been infected & got through it with the mildest of symptoms, if any at all.

Jersey concluded tests 316,000

Isle of Man 38,000

We are learning now that this virus is only visible in the majority if you test for it.

We never did.

I've always been of the opinion that symptomatic cases that present themselves for testing will form a fairly consistent ratio with asymptomatic ones. The fact that we've had such low numbers of the former would suggest we haven't had it as bad in total as elsewhere.