IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

3 minutes ago, John Wright said:

The basic rule is stay at home, isolate and don’t mix households. I’m not commenting on any present case.

Most cases weren’t for being in the great outdoors.

The majority of cases in lockdowns 1 & 2 were not being caught in the open, but going to other people’s houses/flats, drinking, small parties, cops called, not going home when warned and asked. Or car full of teens or twenties from 3 or 4 households.

They'd all been given the opportunity to not be arrested, charged and taken to court.

So "Outside his home" does not necessarily mean he was outside?

Edited by Peter Layman

There's a back story to a lot of these cases. These folk weren't taking a stroll in the fresh air to stretch their legs and pick daisies.

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Newbie said:

I agree absolutely on the Commercial/Domestic aspect of waste disposal, but as you say that is a whole other matter.

But from a Covid aspect, what is the difference between a man and van being paid to take someone's rubbish to Tels, and the homeowner taking their own rubbish to a Civic Amenity site, other than the fact that paying someone gives rise to the possibility of more human interactions. To say nothing of the fact that we are already paying for the Civic Amenity sites, so to expect people to pay again seems unreasonable

Why can't people just settle their arsed for a few weeks and stop generating additional waste?

We have a few things to do at home and in the garden that aren't feasible because I don't have anywhere to store the rubbish that would be generated.  So, since we aren't supposed to be making unnecessary journeys to B&Q, tips etc we just aren't doing them until things open up again.

Like I said before, either lockdown or open up.  All this half hearted stuff just confuses people and causes stress where there shouldn't be any.

Stay at home ffs.  What is complicated? People asking where to get rid of their recycling for gods sake.

Just now, horatiotheturd said:

Why can't people just settle their arsed for a few weeks and stop generating additional waste?

Because if they're stuck at home for anything more than 30 minutes, any woman will have by then generated a list of at least 10 jobs for her husband to do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, the stinking enigma said:

Most calling for it to open will be sat at home. Im no fan of the tip nazis, and they, to a person, think i'm a prick, but you cant really blame them for not wanting to mix with people right now.

Can't blame people working in food shops for not wanting to mix with people either, but they do. At least the amenity workers are outside in the fresh air. 

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, Newbie said:

I agree absolutely on the Commercial/Domestic aspect of waste disposal, but as you say that is a whole other matter.

But from a Covid aspect, what is the difference between a man and van being paid to take someone's rubbish to Tels, and the homeowner taking their own rubbish to a Civic Amenity site, other than the fact that paying someone gives rise to the possibility of more human interactions. To say nothing of the fact that we are already paying for the Civic Amenity sites, so to expect people to pay again seems unreasonable

It’s basically the difference between going food shopping in person or having someone else ‘pick + pack’ the shopping for you, the picker will be doing shopping for 10 households, so that’s 10 less people mixing in the shop, the van man will be picking stuff up outside houses and taking it to be disposed of, in a day it’s probably 10 different cars off the road (in theory).

Their excuse of less people on the roads/one less excuse for people to leave their homes, isn’t exactly a good one, because at the moment people will be doing ‘unnecessary’ journeys to go for a walk 10 miles away from their home anyway, as there is no restrictions on exercise or unnecessary travel, only ‘advised’.

Edited by Annoymouse

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

Yes, they should be open, and clearing shit off a beach can be socially distanced so no harm really.

Kerbside recycling has been suspended, yet bin collections haven't.  So to get rid of recycling, you have to take it to one of the recycling points if you can't store it.  

Just inconsistent without any apparent logic. 

Well the logic there is simple.  Recycling isn't important.  Rubbish collection is. And you can put anything you would have recycled into your rubbish for a few weeks.

Love the manninline.

Nloke complaining that his daughter who "works for governemnet" is shielding for the third time.  She can't work from home. She has had both jabs. Apparently they are putting pressure on her to go back to work or take the time off as holidays.

Sounds like the sort of thing we are going to hear a lot more of.  The island can't support loads of people who have been vaccinated and still believe they need to shield but have obviously chosen to work in a job that involves an element of perceived risk.

Surely if someone is so "at risk" that they need to shield even after two jabs then they were always at huge risk of flu etc anyway?

I can see this really becoming a benefits nightmare if even after vaccination people are claiming they still can't do jobs that they have done for years previously.

• Like 1

Just now, horatiotheturd said:

Love the manninline.

Nloke complaining that his daughter who "works for governemnet" is shielding for the third time.  She can't work from home. She has had both jabs. Apparently they are putting pressure on her to go back to work or take the time off as holidays.

Sounds like the sort of thing we are going to hear a lot more of.  The island can't support loads of people who have been vaccinated and still believe they need to shield but have obviously chosen to work in a job that involves an element of perceived risk.

Surely if someone is so "at risk" that they need to shield even after two jabs then they were always at huge risk of flu etc anyway?

I can see this really becoming a benefits nightmare if even after vaccination people are claiming they still can't do jobs that they have done for years previously.

If she needs to shield even with the vaccine then why get the vaccine? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

As with SPCo debacle, if you are going to make rules to mitigate spread is anyone in Government checking even randomly for compliance? Noticable absence of arrests this time round too.

Followed a car with 2 Packet employees in the other day.  Two work mates, one dropping the other off at home, no masks, both in the front seats.

There is a bloke near me who also has contacts with Packet staff - he has cars from all sorts of places on his drive, up to 7 days a week.  In for repairs/servicing when he is not doing his other job.  No masks, no gloves, no internal sanitation of the vehicles at drop of or pick up.  (and I can tell coz he parks all over the bloody place taking up residents spaces).

5 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Most calling for it to open will be sat at home. Im no fan of the tip nazis, and they, to a person, think i'm a prick, but you cant really blame them for not wanting to mix with people right now.

In my experience even when fully operational you’ll struggle to find a site worker keen to help, they’ll typically shout orders or point from a distance, majority of the time they aren’t on lend to help, I’ve seen people struggle with sofas/washing machines and it’s almost always been a member of the public (including myself) who steps in to help.

I can’t blame them, they get paid an pittance (particularly D.B.C) but the job role is split into two categories, what they actually get paid to do (pretty much supervise it’s disposed correctly) and what the public expect them to do (assist with everything).