IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

20 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

People asking where to get rid of their recycling for gods sake.

Some off us generate a mysteriously large amount of empty cans and bottles. I do the clinking walk of shame through the square to the recycling bins, but in lockdown 1 they blocked them off. At least they havent done that this time.

• Haha 5

I think the amenities sites should be open tbh and I'm sure it can be made safe to use them. On the argument of essential etc for many peoples mental health having something to do and keeping active can be a life saver . Its a bigger picture than essential journey etc.   

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

I think the amenities sites should be open tbh and I'm sure it can be made safe to use them. On the argument of essential etc for many peoples mental health having something to do and keeping active can be a life saver . Its a bigger picture than essential journey etc.   

I think there are bigger mental health issues to worry about to be honest.

Like losing your house, having to use food banks, people being isolated from the world because we don't even have support bubbles etc.

The mental health argument really doesn't wash when so many are being treated so badly and some are stressing they can't throw some rubbish away.

Edited by horatiotheturd

13 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

apparently people are now dumping green waste at happy valley, not sure where that is but it will get worse particularly with green waste 

11 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Like losing your house, having to use food banks, people being isolated from the world because we don't even have support buses etc.

The mental health argument really doesn't wash when so many are being treated so badly and some are stressing they can't throw some rubbish away.

Its all part of the problem though and can alleviate some peoples issues. For people who are not used to be constrained it can be a godsend to keep busy . But I agree totally that mental health help is inadaquate and thats from someone who has been under the service for many years in all its forms. But sometimes its the little things that can make a difference . 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Banker said:

apparently people are now dumping green waste at happy valley, not sure where that is but it will get worse particularly with green waste 

I said a week ago that fly tipping would now become a bigger problem. It was a no brainer despite most being responsible . Sadly it doesnt take many to spoil it and clutter up spare and isolated places .

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Another red herring. There will be at least 3 questions on it later. 

I got fed up with Manx Radio breakfast programme this morning reading loads of comments from people about the tips. This interspersed with music and adverts.

I'd had enough and switched to BBC Radio 4 and a rather interesting interview with a Chinese diplomat regarding the anti-democratic election candidate criteria in Hong Kong, and the implications any interference with this might have on the UK (ie a threat).

It's nice to live in a bubble but now and again some perspective is required.

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

Well the logic there is simple.  Recycling isn't important.  Rubbish collection is. And you can put anything you would have recycled into your rubbish for a few weeks.

This is stupid.  In the first lockdown they stopped recycling and the amount of rubbish collected soared and so did the cost local authorities had to pay to take it to the incinerator - whose operators were then stuck with loads more stuff they couldn't burn.  All so even more DoI minions could sit around doing even less.  This is classic Manx Civil Service thinking - dump your problems elsewhere and it doesn't matter.

Of course if the local authorities are closing the amenity sites, the same thing will happen with a lot of items (especially garden waste) and they'll have no one to blame except themselves if the bin wagons start groaning under the extra weight.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Love the manninline.

Nloke complaining that his daughter who "works for governemnet" is shielding for the third time.  She can't work from home. She has had both jabs. Apparently they are putting pressure on her to go back to work or take the time off as holidays.

Sounds like the sort of thing we are going to hear a lot more of.  The island can't support loads of people who have been vaccinated and still believe they need to shield but have obviously chosen to work in a job that involves an element of perceived risk.

Surely if someone is so "at risk" that they need to shield even after two jabs then they were always at huge risk of flu etc anyway?

I can see this really becoming a benefits nightmare if even after vaccination people are claiming they still can't do jobs that they have done for years previously.

Some good points, but who's advice do you follow? The current government direction is simple, stay at home and work from home if you can. If you shielded in L1 and L2, you should shield now. Vaccinations don't come into it YET! I am sure it will come, but there are still too many high priority people to vaccinate to ease off yet. 

29 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

Like losing your house, having to use food banks, people being isolated from the world because we don't even have support buses etc.

Indeed a lot of people seem to be losing it this time round sadly and some not the sort of people you’d think would. 

I suppose it doesn’t help when you’re prevented from working seeing all the abuse by “key workers” though. Just come back in from Port Erin where I was doing some shopping for a self isolating relative and see a team of DOI workers putting a new zebra crossing in at Janets Corner. Not one mask on the whole team and no social distancing. Hardly key work either having a team of about 8 on a bloody crossing. And there was even a team testing the electric signals at the level crossing. Real essential work when everyone is locked up in their own homes many with no money. Frankly like closing the amenity sites it’s taking the absolute piss out of the rest of us so no wonder people are going a bit bonkers.

Edited by CowMan
Removed I
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, CowMan said:

Indeed a lot of people seem to be losing it this time round sadly and some not the sort of people you’d think would. I

I suppose it doesn’t help when you’re prevented from working seeing all the abuse by “key workers” though. Just come back in from Port Erin where I was doing some shopping for a self isolating relative and see a team of DOI workers putting a new zebra crossing in at Janets Corner. Not one mask on the whole team and no social distancing. Hardly key work either having a team of about 8 on a bloody crossing. And there was even a team testing the electric signals at the level crossing. Real essential work when everyone is locked up in their own homes many with no money. Frankly it’s taking the absolute piss out of the rest of us so no wonder people are going a bit bonkers.

Well if they’re doing crossing & tram signals surely work should continue on the promenade, walking along there this morning there’s loads on space for socially distance workers to be cracking on with finishing the work 

• Like 2