IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

3 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Anyone returning from holiday etc. that shares a household - All in such households should be required to isolate.

This is a dangerous weak link that will lead to a large second wave.

it is more likely a deliberate method of getting C19 into the community at a trickle rather than all at once

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, WTF said:

it is more likely a deliberate method of getting C19 into the community at a trickle rather than all at once

I’d have thought testing on arrival at the border (result in 24hrs, then a follow up 7 days later) was a safer, more effective option than allowing anyone to just arrive on the Island & trust / rely on them to self isolate particularly when the likelihood is they are travelling home from the ferry or airport via a family lift or taxi.

The current 14 day Q / proposed 7 day Q is a sure fire way of getting the virus in amongst us rapidly.

Edited by Nom de plume
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It pretty much says all those who don’t need to rely on continuing employment support the border being closed.

70+ (on a pension) 

female (possibly not main earner or working part time)

Under 30 (renting or living at home) 

Poor health (might not be working anyway) 

Low income (getting paid by gov subsidized employer or on benefits) 

Plus most of that group admit they were the most scared and traumatized by lockdown anyway as more than half of all respondents had experienced anxiety mental health and relationship issues. 

A82C97B2-C372-46B0-AC68-6DB2EEA03E70.jpeg

Aye.... but it omitted one important question in the economics section... are you employed in the public sector or private sector? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Obviously opening will save tourism sector as Jersey are seeing 

Jersey's tourism sector is almost 10% of their economy. Ours is much smaller and mostly about the motorbike races which are already cancelled for this year at least. Holiday accommodation is appx 0.1% of IOM national income according to govt.

It's thanks to the border being closed that other parts of the leisure sector are able to open as normal again - eg restaurants. And that people are back working in their offices - where that still makes sense.

No point risking the relative normality we are able to enjoy for the sake of a non existent tourist sector or because a few people need Mummy and Daddy to hold their hand when they go off to uni (though frankly it might make more sense for them to defer for a year).

Edited by pongo
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, pongo said:

Jersey's tourism sector is almost 10% of their economy. Ours is much smaller and mostly about the motorbike races which are already cancelled for this year at least. Holiday accommodation is appx 0.1% of IOM national income according to govt.

It's thanks to the border being closed that other parts of the leisure sector are able to open as normal again - eg restaurants. And that people are back working in their offices - where that still makes sense.

No point risking the relative normality we are able to enjoy for the sake of a non existent tourist sector or because a few people need Mummy and Daddy to hold their hand when they go off to uni (though frankly it might make more sense for them to defer for a year).

It’s not just tourist it’s the whole hospitality sector which is suffering particularly hotels.

as mentioned previously there are a lot returning to mummy & daddy from UK as they don’t want to sit in a flat & if you think they will be eating meals in rooms etc then think again! They should be testing all arrivals like Jersey 

Im pretty sure I have read in the past about the levels of UK infection required for each step of the border policy but I can't find it now, its not on this document but Ive seen a different one. https://covid19.gov.im/general-information/travel-advice/borders-framework/

Anyway, the reason I'm wondering is that the ONS current report suggests an infection of around 1:1500 which if my memory is right means we are supposed to be at level 5 according to our own government. Are they ignoring their own advice?

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/bulletins/coronaviruscovid19infectionsurveypilot/31july2020

EDIT - I'm not saying go backwards, I hate the idea.

Edited by TheTeapot

The Teapot - To move to level for required 1:2000, which was achieved and beaten prior to the easing of lockdown in uk. Yes, it has fallen to 1:1500, as stated by Bojo in his statement at midday today when he delayed tomorrow's easing of restrictions. The situation is being monitored all the time. We could move back to level five if things over there get really bad or when cases start to appear here. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Im pretty sure I have read in the past about the levels of UK infection required for each step of the border policy but I can't find it now, its not on this document but Ive seen a different one. https://covid19.gov.im/general-information/travel-advice/borders-framework/

Anyway, the reason I'm wondering is that the ONS current report suggests an infection of around 1:1500 which if my memory is right means we are supposed to be at level 5 according to our own government. Are they ignoring their own advice?

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/bulletins/coronaviruscovid19infectionsurveypilot/31july2020

EDIT - I'm not saying go backwards, I hate the idea.

I think it’s fair to assume now that it’s all lip service from the UK Government.

If you are a Covid mentalist and want to really scare yourself, pick some random popular tourist spots & check out the webcams.

The UK have given up on SD, some would argue they never even tried.

3 minutes ago, Cambon said:

The Teapot - To move to level for required 1:2000, which was achieved and beaten prior to the easing of lockdown in uk. Yes, it has fallen to 1:1500, as stated by Bojo in his statement at midday today when he delayed tomorrow's easing of restrictions. The situation is being monitored all the time. We could move back to level five if things over there get really bad or when cases start to appear here. 

The ONS is a survey estimate and at times can be well above actual recorded figures which show 15 in 100k compared to Spain which is 39 in 100k population 

10 minutes ago, Banker said:

The ONS is a survey estimate and at times can be well above actual recorded figures which show 15 in 100k compared to Spain which is 39 in 100k population 

I'm finding it hard to find accurate figures for current cases per 100,000 population? Yesterday it was reported by the BBC that Spain had far fewer cases than the UK?