IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

To be fair to Callister, that was good politics, especially in an election year.  Most people might regard it as trivial, but a small number will care about it a lot and be relieved that their beloved pooches can have their walkies again and that's the sort of thing that wins votes.  (The dogs may be relieved as well, but they can't vote).

A lot of Moorhouse's questions may similarly pick up a few votes on behalf of constituents.  And he asks so many that those votes will mount up.  Arbory, Castletown and Malew (or Greater Grenaby as some may think of it) is an odd constituency, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him get back in, figure of fun though he is.

To be honest,  the dog walking thing is not trivial if you have dogs.  What was trivial was banning someone else walking them for you with adequate arrangements, they should have just given clear guidance. 

Its like all things in this, it is often what nay be considered the small things that have the biggest impact on surviving self isolation.  For example, a lady who I shop for wanted a particular thing to style her hair.  Why bother you ask, she is in isolation and who is going to see her? Well, for her, paying attention to her appearance was important, it gave her a structure and helped her maintain her personal standards and self respect - she was not going to descend into slob mode.  It was important to her. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

My feeling privately they have already given up with elimination but dont know how to break it to all of us. Hence the ramp up of injections as thats the only way out now. Wonder when they will announce the extension of lockdown as there clearly going to have too .  

They did such a job of convincing those with no life off the island that elimination was the future they have made a real.issue for us going forward.

Thousands of fit healthy people are scared that even after vaccinations there might the "cases".  Its scary, people have lost their minds.

There are lots of people in our immediate social circle currently at home with COVID due to having a child at one of the schools that was hit.

None of them are ill and yet the wider social group still has plenty who are petrified.

Mitigation should have always been kept very much at the forefront of all briefings etc.

Vaccines now mean it is a viable proposition with near normality and the Manx public are scared of it as a future because of the communications over the last 12 months about overwhelmed hospitals etc.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

My feeling privately they have already given up with elimination but dont know how to break it to all of us. Hence the ramp up of injections as thats the only way out now. Wonder when they will announce the extension of lockdown as there clearly going to have too .  

They did such a job of convincing those with no life off the island that elimination was the future they have made a real.issue for us going forward.

Thousands of fit healthy people are scared that even after vaccinations there might the "cases".  Its scary, people have lost their minds.

There are lots of people in our immediate social circle currently at home with COVID due to having a child at one of the schools that was hit.

None of them are ill and yet the wider social group still has plenty who are petrified.

Mitigation should have always been kept very much at the forefront of all briefings etc.

Vaccines now mean it is a viable proposition with near normality and the Manx public are scared of it as a future because of the communications over the last 12 months about overwhelmed hospitals etc.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

You may be right, but I genuinely think that they are hoping to keep the elimination policy, but imo the next few weeks will be critical to that decision. The vaccination uplift is a good hedge anyway. They will not have missed the halo effect Boris has enjoyed due to his vaccine rollout, coupled with it helping when justifying a forced early entry into the mitigation strategy, it is a no brainer. I just wish they had been given the kick up the arse earlier. I can still hear Howard pompously stating that “it’s not a race” etc, etc.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

My feeling privately they have already given up with elimination but dont know how to break it to all of us. .  

Mark Lewin was clear that this is the case in the interview they broadcast the other day. He said elimination had served us well but it was time to transition away from this now or something similar. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

You may be right, but I genuinely think that they are hoping to keep the elimination policy, but imo the next few weeks will be critical to that decision. The vaccination uplift is a good hedge anyway. They will not have missed the halo effect Boris has enjoyed due to his vaccine rollout, coupled with it helping when justifying a forced early entry into the mitigation strategy, it is a no brainer. I just wish they had been given the kick up the arse earlier. I can still hear Howard pompously stating that “it’s not a race” etc, etc.

Well going on vaccine figures last week it seems to akin to a race now. Will know better after this week as not sure infrastructure has kept up with appointment letters being sent out. If they can again consistently get above 1000 plus then there doing well and I will be the first to say so. 

Edited by Numbnuts

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

As I've pointed out before, Moorhouse has the useful function that he will ask any question about anything for anybody.  There appears to be no quality control whatsoever.  There's a certain sort of democratic validity I suppose.

Now it does result in some monumentally stupid or trivial or pointless questions at time, but like all random actions it may alight on something useful by accident and it provides hours of harmless amusement.

Taken on Peter Karrans mantle then. Shocking when you realise they don't actually understand most of what they are asking which becomes patently obvious when they have no follow up once they are given the prepared response. Or try to rearrange the original question to make it sound like a new one and get the same answer.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Mr Moorhouse is a nailed on cert future mannin line presenter.  And rightly so.

He should take up the challenge of now that new caravans are banned, ban new trailer tents, its a campsite away from door to door clothes peg sales. The loophole needs closing now.

4 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Well going on vaccine figures last week it seems to akin to a race now. Will know better after this week as not sure infrastructure has kept up with appointment letters being sent out. If tgey can again consistently get above 1000 plus then there doing well and Inwill be the first to say so. 

Current jabs over last 7 days is 7297 which is excellent. Unfortunately scoreboard still saying only 3271 booked in for the next 7 days also echoed on Manx Radio.

Edited by Lewis
Addition
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Numbnuts said:

Well going on vaccine figures last week it seems to akin to a race now. Will know better after this week as not sure infrastructure has kept up with appointment letters being sent out. If tgey can again consistently get above 1000 plus then there doing well and Inwill be the first to say so. 

A bit of friendly competition would a good thing. A race of sorts would boost moral and more importantly get more of the population vaccinated. It would be nice to see our cautious baby stepping government show some dynamism and energy. 

• Like 2