IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 hours ago, Banker said:

To be fair , Edge & Chris Thomas have been fairly consistent over last 12 months in asking lots of questions, Hooper has only jumped on bandwagon in last 3 months 

As you say, over the last 12 months, not throughout the administration (although I accept that Thomas was hamstrung whilst a Minister). The only member who has, from day 1, been prepared to face up to Quayle and challenge his manifest bullshit, and not simply on Covid, has been Daphne Caine. No wonder Quayle is so bloody rude to her - she engages his existing misogyny.  She also comes in for plenty of flak on these pages but if I was a Garff voter, which I’m not, she’d get an X in the box from me for that alone.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

Won't more be getting booked for this week today tomorrow and Tuesday?

Maybe but the letters have to go out then ring 111 and then they have to ring you back . As I said be interesting to see have they pulled it off to get over a 1000 a day . My gut feeling is they wont manage it . Remember the weekend , post etc will slow whats already not the most efficent process . Genuinly hope I'm wrong though .

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

There's no reason it not to really.

Absolutely, except the 111 collapse last weekend which interrupted things. But they have had a week to catch up and given the gravity surely that's been done.

6 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

As you say, over the last 12 months, not throughout the administration (although I accept that Thomas was hamstrung whilst a Minister). The only member who has, from day 1, been prepared to face up to Quayle and challenge his manifest bullshit, and not simply on Covid, has been Daphne Caine. No wonder Quayle is so bloody rude to her - she engages his existing misogyny.  She also comes in for plenty of flak on these pages but if I was a Garff voter, which I’m not, she’d get an X in the box from me for that alone.

I didn’t vote for her last time, but although she doesn’t represent many of  my views, she is her own person and speaks her mind regardless of the prevailing Comin position, which is commendable and important in a hall of nodding dogs. Rewind to the last GE and she would now get my vote in place of Perkins (huge disappointment).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

I didn’t vote for her last time, but although she doesn’t represent many of  my views, she is her own person and speaks her mind regardless of the prevailing Comin position, which is commendable and important in a hall of nodding dogs. Rewind to the last GE and she would now get my vote in place of Perkins (huge disappointment).

Were I on your patch I’d feel exactly as you do.

59 minutes ago, horatiotheturd said:

They did such a job of convincing those with no life off the island that elimination was the future they have made a real.issue for us going forward.

Thousands of fit healthy people are scared that even after vaccinations there might the "cases".  Its scary, people have lost their minds.

There are lots of people in our immediate social circle currently at home with COVID due to having a child at one of the schools that was hit.

None of them are ill and yet the wider social group still has plenty who are petrified.

Mitigation should have always been kept very much at the forefront of all briefings etc.

Vaccines now mean it is a viable proposition with near normality and the Manx public are scared of it as a future because of the communications over the last 12 months about overwhelmed hospitals etc.

Not sure what you are still panicking about. It's quite obvious we are going for a mitigation strategy. So i don't really see what you are still going on about... do you want us to just go for it now, right now?

Mitigation is like us all jumping (pushed?) off the cliff rather than taking the somewhat tricky path down, but a path all the same.

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Not sure what you are still panicking about. It's quite obvious we are going for a mitigation strategy. So i don't really see what you are still going on about... do you want us to just go for it now, right now?

Personally I would.

I am not panicking about moving to mitigation (we are there anyway)  I worry for those in society who have been led to believe that eradication is the only way we won't all die.

Are you in the coronavirus help group on fb?  Have a look on there.  Plenty of people convinced that we will get rid of it again and keep it out or the world will end.

In terms of communicating the way forward to the masses it has been a disaster.  My impression is that there are people who will likely worry themselves to death when told we aren't keeping it out anymore 

Edited by horatiotheturd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Maybe but the letters have to go out then ring 111 and then they have to ring you back . As I said be interesting to see have they pulled it off to get over a 1000 a day . My gut feeling is they wont manage it . Remember the weekend , post etc will slow whats already not the most efficent process . Genuinly hope I'm wrong though .

Yes but the people booking appointments are people who already have the letters.  Don't forget, not everyone picks up the phone the second the letter lands.    111 could easily be ringing back people today who called 3 days ago to arrange an appt from a letter that arrived a week or more ago.

2 hours ago, TerryFuchwit said:

More covid per head of population being reported on island daily than in the UK now. By quite some distance too.

Apologies in advance for being the bearer of this and I genuinely hoped I had miscalculated it but have checked it several times now. Here are the current 7 day reported COVID cases per 100k population across Europe, and they are total, not daily averages as I was hoping:

• Coronavirus case rates in the past 7 days in Europe, by country 2021 | Statista

The worst is Estonia at 776. France is 230. The UK is one of the lowest now at 60.7

I decided to calculated ours and its 656. That puts us currently 3rd highest in Europe behind Estonia and Czechia. I must admit that shocked me and will be taking this even more seriously now. I really hope those vaccine bookings for the next 7 days are  going to shoot up very quickly.

Edited by Lewis
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, horatiotheturd said:

Personally I would.

I am.mkt panicking about moving to mitigation.  I worry for those in society who have been led to believe that eradication is the only way we won't all die.

Are you in the coronavirus help group on fb?  Have a look on there.  Plenty of people convinced that we will get rid of it again and keep it out or the world will end.

In terms of communicating the way forward to the masses it has been a disaster.  My impression is that there are people who will likely worry themselves to death when told we aren't keeping it out anymore 

Agree with this. Its become such a issue that we were Covid 'free' and where we find ourselves now. So many are really bricking it and not sure how they will live there lives knowing the person you pass has covid , be it not visually obvious. Mindsets in so many is very doom and gloom and only complete eradication is going to satisy them. Personally dont think the willingness exists anymore for a strict hard lockdown. We for sure havent got that now .   

• Like 1

Just now, Numbnuts said:

Agree with this. Its become such a issue that we were Covid 'free' and where we find ourselves now. So many are really bricking it and not sure how they will live there lives knowing the person you pass has covid , be it not visually obvious. Mindsets in so many is very doom and gloom and only complete eradication is going to satisy them. Personally dont think the willingness exists anymore for a strict hard lockdown. We for sure havent got that now .   

It would help if the government stopped saying " stay at home, save lives".  

• Like 3