IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 minutes ago, Nellie said:

I agree, that the 'awaiting' figure is building, and not contacting more people must be a capacity thing. But, the definition is clear, and it does not appear to be a cause for alarm. Perhaps the priority is only to contact positives results and manage the fallout from those. 

Possibly, no doubt it will become clearer.  Next week should through some more light on the situation.  

9 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

They should stop publishing case numbers.  

The OCD like obsession around case numbers should go I agree. There’s people literally arguing with each other on Facebook and claiming government conspiracies and cover ups because they think there’s a gap of 2 or 3 cases due to reporting overlaps. It’s literal insanity to obsess over numbers like that. Number in hospital and number of deaths should be all they say and if people want to know more they can go on the covid world-o-meter where they probably already spend a good 5 hours a day anyway. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

Always possible they’ve been replaced by another in ITU

Again, this would be useful information as would in hospital because of covid or with covid.  Similarly, cases should not be positive tests but those who are symptomatic. 

There is a long way for the fear factor to be wound back, and some will not relinquish it easily as it has become a substitute for self determination and responsibility.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Again, this would be useful information as would in hospital because of covid or with covid.  Similarly, cases should not be positive tests but those who are symptomatic. 

There is a long way for the fear factor to be wound back, and some will not relinquish it easily as it has become a substitute for self determination and responsibility.  

Good points. 

Same with last nights postings we need to be sure we have all the right facilities in the right places and that our resources are well matched to all our needs.

I know that sound a bit "managementish" but it may help to reassure people that Nobles is 'not overwhelmed' and can cope / deal with the number of patients being presented there.

37 minutes ago, Nellie said:

This means a lot of people waiting to be told the outcome of their test, not that test is still being processed. So, those 1014 results are already in the headline figures. It isn't going to influence tomorrow's figures.

The number of tests completed shows that the positive test rate is now 9%, down from a steady 13-14% for the last week, which looks like a move in the right direction. 

The number awaiting to be told is still a literally unbelievable number though.    Presumably they prioritise positive cases, but it still implies people are waiting an average of three days since their swab was taken.  I suspect something wrong with the way they do the figures.

The rate dropped on Friday too and then went up on Saturday.  It's really far too soon to tell and no one ever should have expected it to be any different.  At best it confirms we are plateauing though at an uncomfortably high rate.  Announcements of victory aren't just premature at this stage, they're slightly sad.

35 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

Really good news that in the last 3 days where we have seen 187 cases, only 3 are in the 70yrs and above age range. Vaccines as well as lockdown having an effect?

You'd hope there was some effect, but there was only one case over 65 in the January outbreak (admittedly out of only 50 odd cases) which was too early for vaccination to have any effect.  So it may be more to do with older people still shielding and mixing less. 

1 minute ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I thought he spelled out 'awaiting results' are tests 'still to be processed'...not those sitting in an out-box for a phone call?

No he said the opposite.  As far as I can tell the lab seems to be completing all the testing of swabs taken each day - though by working into the night to do so.  But I can't believe people are waiting that long for results without kicking up a fuss.  I suspect they've forgotten to include people informed by e-mail or something like that.  

• Like 1