IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

9 hours ago, Kopek said:

Oh, come on, none of those businesses you mention will have made a fortune out of Covd, most will have probably lost out on the service?                                                                                                                                         

Some of the businesses have only started up when Covid first appeared, some would say opportunistic. I suppose others see it as unfair advantage because they aren’t able to close their business and start up/diversify so easily.

Some of the food deliveries are just people making/preparing food in their home kitchens, I don’t really consider a sweet business essential but equally it’s less money being taken out of the public purse to pay for MERA support?

I don’t think anyone particularly wins in a Lockdown, if your happy to take the risk of catching/spreading Covid there is work opportunities, if you want to stay ‘safe’ at home then everything is pretty much on hold.

29 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

Estate agent. Nailed on certainty. 

HTT has mentioned he’s responsible for remodelling people’s homes, so that’s anything from an Architect to a kitchen/Bathroom fitter. Being the boss he goes round houses to quote for the work, take the measurements and he then has a small team to do the dirty work, nothing wrong with that.

That’s effectively taking the cream from the top, takes either a lot of capital or many years of hard work to build up the business to be in that position, I can totally understand why people like that are pissed off, it’s either a lot of money/a lot of years down the drain.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Gladys said:

Mitigation isn't 'living with the virus', it is risk assessment and may well involve, in the main, a redefinition of what the health service is expected and intended to deliver for free. The vaccine will buy us time, but I think the biggest shift we will see is a focusing of health provision to bring the greatest benefit to the most amount of people.

With the expected reduction in the effect of covid on vaccinated individuals,  there will be less and less requirement to isolate and lockdown, so the impact on the services you mention will lessen.  

Vulnerable individuals may have to continue to shield either continually or sporadically, but with increased vaccinations and improved treatment, the number of people who may be classed as vulnerable will reduce. 

The important thing is that there are plans and assessments in response to the risk as it changes, not sledgehammer reactions. 

So the mitigation approach is actually phase 2 after vaccination is complete.

What you have described above is the realistic 'new normal' we will have once the population is fully vaccinated. Those who are low risk will clearly move on and start travelling etc. High risk groups will naturally be more cautious to the point of self imposed isolation, sadly.

2 minutes ago, TomTucker said:

What you have described above is the realistic 'new normal' we will have once the population is fully vaccinated. Those who are low risk will clearly move on and start travelling etc. High risk groups will naturally be more cautious to the point of self imposed isolation, sadly.

We don't have to wait for the entire population to have been vaccinated.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, TomTucker said:

Mitigation in IOM starts end of April with some easing of border restrictions but we don’t really know what as our exit document is so poor.

In Guernsey for example they say they will be reducing quarantine period at end of April and already allow families/friends to visit subject to same quarantine as returning residents, also they are aiming to have borders fully open 1st July. Jersey looking at something similar.

IOM say borders maybe open September and lots of criticism from all quarters on exit strategy, MHKs, business, tourism, public etc 

• Like 4

It would not be surprising if during this data collection from GPs that the health services is compiling a description of the state of health of the population. 

24 minutes ago, TomTucker said:

a redefinition of what the health service is expected and intended to deliver for free.

This of course as stated above by Gladys originally can be used to determine more specifically what type and level of need we have, what may need to be procured off island by contracts, and give some idea of what may be needed in the future.

An 85,000 people health care record / database should not be too difficult to create, manage and maintain.

• Like 1

I wonder what has prompted that message from the bobbies.

Has someone said something they shouldn't have ?

Like how is the investigation into Abbotswood going then ?

Just now, TheTeapot said:

Why are the police pumping that kind of thing out? Propaganda to distract from the fact all police are fascist bastards?

Apart from the fascist bit, I was just wondering the same thing. The person pumping out this tosh fancies themselves as some sort of pseudo influencer like Gef. 

• Like 1

Despite our leaders saying on Island sequencing facility is not required, not relevant etc it seems our friends in Guernsey disagree as they are planning to start one, good opportunity for Rachel to set it up for them as we obviously don’t need her help!

https://guernseypress.com/news/2021/03/15/on-island-facility-to-detect-covid-variants-is-planned/

• Like 1

is it to remind the people that they are not all like those manning the vigil on Saturday that resulted in the awful "optics" in the newspapers. 

It is part of this annoying nudge culture that like HQ and DA actually telling us and directing us to their successes in the briefings rather than what we actually want to know.

Many politicians are doing it now. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jaymann said:

If I'm honest, I'm tired of trying to pin cock ups on the Gov. 'Look what they could have done.'

I'd be more focused on just holding them to getting this vaccine rollout done as quickly as is safely possible and on our exit strategy to normality.

Avoidable lockdown? Maybe. But at this point, who cares? We are where we are. Nobody in Tynwald is really holding them to account bar the odd backbencher or some MLCs. It's going nowhere.

I'm worn out by COVID now. Its cost me tens of thousands. I just want to see it over and going round the bullshit circle isn't going to help end it.

:thumbsup: This +1

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, TomTucker said:

Not necessarily when vaccination is complete but when those who are at a higher risk of severe symptoms are vaccinated.   I also think that as vaccines and treatment improve, it is very likely that the number of conditions classed as putting sufferers at high risk will reduce. 

• Like 3