IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 minute ago, monasqueen said:

Quite so. You will have been away to a place where the virus is still at large. You cannot, on arrival home,  be certain that you are free of it yourself.

The logical thing to do, obviously, is go into a busy supermarket, with no social distancing or face mask rules. Yeah, infect a whole load of your compatriots, force a reintroduction of lockdown, bugger the landbridge between IOM and Guernsey.  Gosh, you will be popular, and should suffer whatever the legal eagles can throw at you.

Use your bloody common sense, if you have any.

Aimed at Southfork I hope...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Banker said:

Reading the comments throws up all the same arguments and disagreements as us. Personally I think our potential end of August approach is better as the same quarantine applies to all areas and makes for a simpler message. The country/region differential approach just complicates matters and is flawed due to the long incubation period of the virus.  

5 hours ago, Southfork said:

So if you have no food in the house as you’ve been away and getting a slot with Tesco’s direct takes about 6 weeks how do you propose the people in self isolation actually eat upon their return to the IOM without quickly popping into Tescos on their return to buy food? 

It is a pain in the rear, but you forward plan. Either stock up and rely on non perishables upon your return, or do as I did during isolation and enlist family to trudge around the supermarket on our behalf. You really do not want to be 'the one' who  feels the wrath of the socially distanced pitchfork brigade, or more likely reading about your exploits from within the Jurby Hilton.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Out of the blue said:

It is a pain in the rear, but you forward plan. Either stock up and rely on non perishables upon your return, or do as I did during isolation and enlist family to trudge around the supermarket on our behalf. You really do not want to be 'the one' who  feels the wrath of the socially distanced pitchfork brigade, or more likely reading about your exploits from within the Jurby Hilton.

Well exactly.  You would hope that anyone who was returning to the Island and then quarantining would have had a short telephone check from whichever bit of government is handling this, to make sure that they had thought through all the practicalities (where isolating, how they were getting there, supplies for the period) and possibly to offer help from volunteer groups to anyone who didn't have the support network in place.  Apart from anything else it would emphasise the seriousness they should do these things with (and probably also help identify the dodgier and flakier types who might need an eye kept on them).

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well exactly.  You would hope that anyone who was returning to the Island and then quarantining would have had a short telephone check from whichever bit of government is handling this, to make sure that they had thought through all the practicalities (where isolating, how they were getting there, supplies for the period) and possibly to offer help from volunteer groups to anyone who didn't have the support network in place.  Apart from anything else it would emphasise the seriousness they should do these things with (and probably also help identify the dodgier and flakier types who might need an eye kept on them).

Roger Mexico:

Where are those volunteer groups? We have organised one in the building in which I live; but in general only those who have lived in the isle for some time will be able to rely on a support network.

The government could have easily organised a food delivery service by contracting a major grocery store, Tesco for instance. I don’t think that it would have costed much, or anything, to the government, because the cost can be passed to the consumer; and those who are coming to the island or choose to travel under the present circumstances are likely to be among the most affluent residents who can afford to pay. But the government has not dealt with the matter.

4 minutes ago, Debbie said:

Roger Mexico:

Where are those volunteer groups? We have organised one in the building in which I live; but in general only those who have lived in the isle for some time will be able to rely on a support network.

The government could have easily organised a food delivery service by contracting a major grocery store, Tesco for instance. I don’t think that it would have costed much, or anything, to the government, because the cost can be passed to the consumer; and those who are coming to the island or choose to travel under the present circumstances are likely to be among the most affluent residents who can afford to pay. But the government has not dealt with the matter.

I suggested many moons ago that the government should have purchased a few vans and used them to deliver essential goods to the vulnerable. a small charge for delivery and away they go

7 minutes ago, Debbie said:

Roger Mexico:

There were certainly people and groups volunteering to help out with deliveries for vulnerable people who had to self-isolate at the start of the crisis, so there is capacity there and it's probably simpler to organise than trying to get Tesco (who were swamped even in pre-Covid times).  Most people returning and self-isolating will have their own potential support network, but a 're-entry' phone interview would make sure that people have got it in place and pick up those without one.  

Obviously I'm not saying that such a system is in place, I suspect it's just people filling in forms online that never get looked at, but if there was one it would help people keep to the isolation process.

• Like 1

There are some parts of the Government's information that do not seem to have become general knowledge. Which of the following can people not understand?

I have used bold type to emphasise that (a) you are expected to prepare in advance, and (b) below, to show that you must go direct to your home without stopping off anywhere.

There's plenty more information on the website.

(a) A period of 14-day self-isolation is mandatory and this must be carefully considered before deciding to travel.

(b) Arriving back on the Island, how should I get home to minimise contact with others?

You will be able to leave a vehicle at the Airport or Sea Terminal. You can drive home but you will not be able to stop anywhere. 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2020 at 11:56 AM, Southfork said:

So if you have no food in the house as you’ve been away and getting a slot with Tesco’s direct takes about 6 weeks how do you propose the people in self isolation actually eat upon their return to the IOM without quickly popping into Tescos on their return to buy food? 

I'm sure that many organised modern people will have at least 2 weeks of quality ingredients in the house at a push. Jars, bottles, tins, flour, dried goods, frozen etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neil Down said:

I suggested many moons ago that the government should have purchased a few vans and used them to deliver essential goods to the vulnerable. a small charge for delivery and away they go

Just contracting out Tesco would have worked better and quicker. Tesco has already the whole infrastructure in place.

• Haha 1