IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

5 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I think you’re exactly right. The hearts and  minds have been lost.

It doesn’t change my opinion however that the way to deal with this is hard lockdown. We’re in the self same (public support) situation as the U.K. were - and that didn’t go too well. Giving them Christmas as a sweet treat only to have it come back and bite them on the ass. We’ve followed them on every other trajectory, so yes, we need to shut down. Despite all the many negatives that involves. 

What would a hard lockdown be? 

At the minute other than going to work i dont leave the house,no pubs, no restaurants,  no gym, no bookmakers. What else can be taken away? 

23 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Instead spin was more important than action.

And a month later hardly anyone 50-64 and many in older groups haven't been vaccinated and it will take time for the jab to take effect in those that have.

Given the islands 7 day infections per 100k is now one of the highest in Europe I would like to imagine HQ, DA, et al burning the midnight oil in the island's equivalent of a Cobra meeting. Mobilising resources, actually directing senior CS, demanding accountability and ensuring next week the vaccination rate is at least 2k per day until all the over 50's and vulnerable have been jabbed.

Unfortunately having seen them so far I can only imagine the Three Stooges with an Indian beer.  When this is over lets hope they get what they deserve for this amateurish egotistical mess.  

• Like 1

I think children have to be the focus here, as there are quite a few out and about in groups.  Given that schools seem to have been the "super spreaders" (despite PM nearly having a new arse ripped out for him during lockdown 2) it does seem that they are the vectors and will easily transmit between homes.  

Supermarkets should also impose one way systems as Tesco this morning was just bonkers.  Other than that, what measures, other than enforcement, would you suggest? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

B and Q

Builders Merchants

Ramsey Market

takeaways (delivery only)

Construction

Gardeners. 

There will be many other things going on that were not going on first time round. This time the situation is worse. 

Is it worse though? Nearly half the population has had at least 1 shot of the vaccine. That wasnt in play last year

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, thommo2010 said:

My point is pretty much everything has been closed, what else can be shut? 

What's currently allowed to open that wasn't the first time round?

We need the contact tracing to give some general pointers as to where the infections are being picked up from. If it's queues for takeaways, for example that needs to be looked at. Any places of work more prominent than others?

The problem is now that the horse hasn't just bolted, it's pissed off over the hill. Getting the virus into schools and free-range kids running around Nobel's Park, for instance, as vectors was a big step back.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

What's currently allowed to open that wasn't the first time round?

We need the contact tracing to give some general pointers as to where the infections are being picked up from. If it's queues for takeaways, for example that needs to be looked at. Any places of work more prominent than others?

The problem is now that the horse hasn't just bolted, it's pissed off over the hill. Getting the virus into schools and free-range kids running around Nobel's Park, for instance, as vectors was a big step back.

Track and trace and contact tracing seem of the pace tbh . Covid has got ahead and there playing catch up and not very successfully sadly . 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

At the minute other than going to work i dont leave the house,no pubs, no restaurants,  no gym, no bookmakers. What else can be taken away? 

Your liberty, perhaps? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

You forgot schools, sporting events, shops, theatres, cinemas... A hard lockdown would be all of this plus the closing of all really non essential work places (take aways, factories etc), and essentially a strictly policed house arrest. We are way beyond that, neither the government or the general populace have an appetite anymore for that level of disruption. The government may have gotten away with it when it was new and scary. That fear and willingness to comply has gone for many, especially as gran has had her jab and we roughly know what we are dealing with.

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Very little really.

They could possibly stop a few people going out and about but most are not doing any harm.

I did about five miles on a walk tonight.  Everyone I encountered kept their distance and many had masks.   I did see a group of teenagers on bikes though that clearly shouldn't be out.  And a family that were out on bikes. No face masks other than the mother.

I can feel the proper meltdown going on about these 11 cases.  The truth probably is that it's almost impossible to track and trace the web of thousands of people.  All that really matters is that case.nunbers drop.

There are clearly some none essential businesses open though that don't, on the face of it, seem essentially.  A sweet shop for a start.

• Like 1