IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

21 hours ago, piebaps said:

Sorry Debbie, but they don't. They don't have the staff or vans to service their existing customers.

Tesco has got the infrastructure in the UK, including the online booking system. All what it had to do is to move a few people and a few vans to the isle. The government could have easily contracted it to do just that.

But that is not the point. The particular way in which the food delivery service had to be organised is not the point I mean. The fact is that having it would have made compliance to the quarantine rules much easier. Some of the above postings seem to look at the problem from the prospective of those who are well rooted in the isle.

I shop four times a week at the main Tesco store in Douglas, always in mid afternoon. And I have seen a lot of new people, in the past few weeks, people who have just moved to the island. It is not too difficult to spot them. Normally I wouldn’t pay attention; but with what is going on, I can’t help. And I am worried things will go downhill again (count me among the mask-haters as well).

27 minutes ago, Debbie said:

Tesco has got the infrastructure in the UK, including the online booking system. All what it had to do is to move a few people and a few vans to the isle. The government could have easily contracted it to do just that.

But that is not the point. The particular way in which the food delivery service had to be organised is not the point I mean. The fact is that having it would have made compliance to the quarantine rules much easier. Some of the above postings seem to look at the problem from the prospective of those who are well rooted in the isle.

I shop four times a week at the main Tesco store in Douglas, always in mid afternoon. And I have seen a lot of new people, in the past few weeks, people who have just moved to the island. It is not too difficult to spot them. Normally I wouldn’t pay attention; but with what is going on, I can’t help. And I am worried things will go downhill again (count me among the mask-haters as well).

How do you spot someone who has just moved to island?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Debbie said:

You do realise how stupid that sentence is?

46 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Shows you how thorough our “checks” are doesn't it? So she managed to get a permit to come to the IOM despite being subject to a court order banning her from the IOM. That’s joined up government for you! But then again as has been pointed out by many posters. Our borders are not closed and pretty much anyone can come here and will get an official permit to come here. Anyone who believes anything different is an idiot which is why all these calls against testing or otherwise loosening restrictions are nonsensical. The controls that you think are in place are pretty much illusory as is. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Banker said:

How do you spot someone who has just moved to island?

If they're English its easy - they're the ones moaning all the fucking time and telling us how things should be done.

And in more general terms, newcomers aren't bothered about driving"all the way to Peel" on a Sunday afternoon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Are you DILLIGAF’s wife? He goes four times a week too. 

I refuse to believe that there are two of you from two separate families who go four times a week. 

Nah. It’s just shopping 4 times a week :-(

2 hours ago, Southfork said:

Shows you how thorough our “checks” are doesn't it? So she managed to get a permit to come to the IOM despite being subject to a court order banning her from the IOM. That’s joined up government for you! But then again as has been pointed out by many posters. Our borders are not closed and pretty much anyone can come here and will get an official permit to come here. Anyone who believes anything different is an idiot which is why all these calls against testing or otherwise loosening restrictions are nonsensical. The controls that you think are in place are pretty much illusory as is. 

I must say that if I was setting up a systems for checking applications, cross-referencing against a list of banned people wouldn't be my top priority because I wouldn't have imagined that anyone could be that daft.  But it does make you wonder how much checking they did of the other details submitted.  The magistrate wondered the same - and was put in her place:

Chair of the magistrates Julie Maddrell asked Oakes, who was appearing via video link from police headquarters, how she had got to the island bearing in mind the borders were closed to non-residents.

Oakes answered that she had applied for a returning residents’ certificate before coming.

Prosecuting advocate James Robinson stopped the line of questioning saying that the matter would have to be investigated further.

Even magistrates are forbidden from questioning the infallible decisions of the Manx Civil Service.  But it makes you wonder just how 'resident' these returning residents were and whether any checks were done.  Oakes clearly had no long -standing connection with the Island or an exclusion order couldn't have been imposed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2