IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

3 hours ago, manxst said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/tynwald-agrees-genomic-testing-is-vital-in-fight-against-covid-19/

if only MHKs had the bottle to stand up and say this sort of thing some months ago, when the vast majority of the public were saying it...

They aren’t being specific enough though, technically they are already using genomic testing, what they aren’t doing is using genomic testing to its full capacity. At the moment it’s taking them a week before they tell us what strain it is and if they are linked to the index case. Turnaround time is very important, if it’s going to aid trace and trace.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

There's enough in one shot to reduce the chances of hospitalisation by at least 50%. Anything that keeps folk out of hospital has to be a good thing for those who do require medical intervention.

Agree completely.  I'm just pointing out that there's still a gap between reducing harm and going completely back to normal as some seem to believe.

1 hour ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

All the evidence so far suggests that the vaccine will be about as good as it gets. I would expect that COVID will be ticking over and bubbling up from time to time. But I don’t think global elimination is viable. 

[...] Even with a first dose, the vaccine massively reduces your chances of getting seriously ill, and thus your risk of death too. Asymptomatic infection also decreases, thus transmission that way  

Hopefully not as good as it gets, but there's a lot of evidence that the current vaccines are still pretty effective.  Regarding transmissability, there's a good piece just published on The Conversation (with lots of useful links to papers etc) which points out that the vaccines don't reduce transmissability as much as they do hospitalisations etc, but still have some effect.  The author's a bit sceptical about the Israeli data (testing wasn't systematic) but other studies suggest the Pfizer vaccine may reduce infections by 80% and the Oxford AZ one by about 67%.  Highly significant, but obviously not 100%.

• Like 1

I know it forms part of a patients medical record but it would be useful to ascertain whether any Covid admissions to Nobles have already been vaccinated.

It might go along way to reassuring people the jabs are safe & extremely beneficial.

Edited by Nom de plume
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

It's like watching an airport flight departure board. Don't know if I'm on flight 6 or 7 though.

I don't know if I'm in 6 or 8. I should be in 6 as I've qualified for and had the yearly 'flu vaccine since I was in my early 40s. I rang my GP at half-eight and I'm hoping to hear back from them soon. 🤞

3 hours ago, Cassie2 said:

THE ''INDEPENDENT'' INQUIRY FARCE:

Please can someone send the Chief Minister and the Chief Secretary a Simple Basic English Dictionary with the word ''INDEPENDENT'' highlighted.

NOTHING about this farce is Independent and well they know it. It is so appallingly sick that even president Vladimir Putin would be shocked and George Orwell would turn in his grave if he was alive.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Independent Review of Isle of Man Steam Packet Company Terms of Reference

STEPHEN Hind, the Director of Audit Advisory in the Treasury, has been appointed to conduct the review.

The review will be undertaken completely independently of the Cabinet Office and will be afforded full access to all records held by and personnel employed by the Isle of Man Government and all its agencies.

BACKGROUND

1. Since the closure of the Isle of Man Borders in March 2020 under statute, a process has existed to allow key workers to travel to and from the United Kingdom, subject to a process of exemptions and documented requirements in terms of self-isolation and any other precautionary measures that may be required.

2. In February 2021, the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company Limited (IOMSPCo) confirmed that one of its Isle of Man based keyworkers had tested positive for Covid-19. A cluster of persons positive for Covid-19 subsequently developed which can be traced to the IOMSPCo keyworker.1

3. The Cabinet Office wishes to commission a review by a party independent of those directly involved, on behalf of the Chief Minister into the circumstances under which Direction Notices regarding Self-Isolation and any other requirements have been issued to the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company Limited (IOMSPCo).

4. The review is to be undertaken completely independently of the Cabinet Office and it will have entire independence of action and thought. It will also be afforded full access to all records held by and personnel employed by the Isle of Man Government and all its agencies.

5. The reviewer will be able to report their conclusions with complete freedom and entirely unfettered from any obligation to the Cabinet Office.

REVIEW - TERMS OF REFERENCE

6. As a minimum, the review should consider and report on the following elements: i. The documentation and advice issued to IOMSPCo by the Isle of Man Government regarding the requirements for its keyworkers since March 2020. To include those issued by: · the Travel Notification Service · Public Health · Department of Infrastructure (who initially provided early exemptions) ii. The processes under which any documentation such as Direction Notices are drawn up, from drafting through to final iteration and issuance as relevant to the IOMSPCo. iii. The risk assessments and mitigations proposed by IOMSPCo to minimise the risk of transmission, and any assurance demonstrated by the company around these risks, and any aspects that have demonstrably changed that may have led to a break down in mitigations. 1 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-56114136 2 iv. How contact tracing was conducted once the initial positive case was identified in the Isle of Man based IOMSPCo keyworker and the subsequent containment of the cluster. v. Any relevant evidence that is required or supplied, including the IOMSPCo’s review into the infection of its staff member and the Company’s own review of the risk assessments and mitigations that has been performed by the Board independent of the executive. vi. Whether there were any shortcomings in the process, documentation issued, advice given or interaction with IOMSPCo and any recommendations as a result. vii. What learning is required and what improvements in any relevant area; including the Direction Notice and associated proceReposs. viii. What actions can be taken to prevent such an incident occurring in the future. 

7. The report into the review will be to a professional standard suitable for publication. If necessary, technical detail can be appended or provided in separate documents as the report itself must be written so as to be readily understood by the lay person. If required personal data may be redacted prior to publication to ensure that data protection legislation is complied with.

GOVERNANCE

8. The review will be sponsored by the Chief Minister. Your officer contact for the review will be Kirsty Hemsley, who is able to act under the authorisation of the Chief Secretary.

9. The aim of the report is to inform the Chief Minister and Council of Ministers as to the timeline of events and root causes that led to creation of the recent IOMSPCo ‘cluster’, to identify lessons to be subsequently learned, and to identify any further mitigations now required to manage the risks of a reoccurrence.

You'll note it is independent of the Cabinet Office not government. What part of the Terms of Reference are being objected to? It seems to me that collecting all of the information and putting it in some sort of order is where you start. Then you figure out what and how things went wrong. The report will clearly contain copies of original documentation etc. 

What is your solution? The The Lieutenant Governor? The Queen? UK government? The UN? Angry mob with pitchforks?

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

I know it forms part of a patients medical record but it would be useful to ascertain whether any Covid admissions to Nobles have already been vaccinated.

It might go along way to reassuring people the jabs are safe & extremely beneficial.

Our population is very low and lockdown skews the data. Better to look at UK/Israel data and that clearly shows the benefit of the vaccinations

6 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

You'll note it is independent of the Cabinet Office not government. What part of the Terms of Reference are being objected to? It seems to me that collecting all of the information and putting it in some sort of order is where you start. Then you figure out what and how things went wrong. The report will clearly contain copies of original documentation etc. 

What is your solution? The The Lieutenant Governor? The Queen? UK government? The UN? Angry mob with pitchforks?

The last one probably.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Apple said:

My concerns now are about the ability of Nobles to deal with the numbers in both facilities and staff. 

I raised this a few days ago.  COVID is going to be with us for ever and ever just like flu, cancer, diabetes and mental health problems.  It is not going to be irradicated - there is always going to be some form of it that will, for (hopefully) an increasing minority of cases, will require hospitalisation just as some bronchial diseases do already - but this will be an additional load on the hospital bed provision, perhaps only half-a-dozen beds might be needed but on a permanent basis, that provision in terms of hardware and staffing needs to be planned for NOW.

Future COVID provision at Nobles has to be integrated into the every-day running of the hospital.  It cannot go into shutdown to cater for COVID.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

B and Q are not just open to builders. I had to drive past a couple of days ago and the car park was full (and I mean full) with a queue waiting to pick up click and collect. 

The risk may be small but it’s still bigger than not offering the service in the first place. 

Husbands Island wide were hoping they were shut. :lol:

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Zarley said:

I don't know if I'm in 6 or 8. I should be in 6 as I've qualified for and had the yearly 'flu vaccine since I was in my early 40s. I rang my GP at half-eight and I'm hoping to hear back from them soon. 🤞

I should have waited until the afternoon as my letter arrived within about a minute of posting the above. Yippee! It's a relief and I don't mind admitting it. 

Yes, I rang the surgery to let them know I no longer needed the call-back. 

• Like 1