IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

Just now, madmanxpilot said:

They must have known how important compliance with the intent of the direction notice was. To not put measures in place (whether themselves or by delegation another agency) to ensure understanding and compliance of the essential protocols was extremely negligent. It would have only taken one audit to find out that there was a significant variance of intent and execution.

I do absolutely agree, and I think we are saying the same thing.  Someone with the skills and capability of monitoring compliance should have been involved. But the covid response has been kept within a small team who probably had every intent to do the right thing, but didn't have the skills to fully ensure compliance. 

13 minutes ago, Zarley said:

my mother would have carried out her usual threat promise of "I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week".

Sadly this is illegal now. Thinking of examples more like single mother with 15 year old and 17 year old. She's too small to knock them into next week. She needs support not fines or punishment.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I wonder what you were like as a child?

I’m probably the wrong person to have this conversation with because I had a horrible childhood, I was an absolute tearaway up until I hit around 10/11, I had a lot of things happen that changed me and my perception of the world, I had no choice but to mature quickly.

So I accept I didn’t have a ‘normal’ childhood, but that’s why I believe it’s grossly unfair to label all children the same. People seem to be automatically assuming that ‘child’ means a young child, if it’s a group of primary school age kids then it’s the parents responsibility, if it’s a group of 13-16 year olds then they are old enough to know better, I personally found age 10-13 were my best learning years, I suppose that’s to do with puberty.

I’ve seen kids look after their ill parents from a young age, some have to look after their siblings, some are left at home from a young age and pretty much have to fend for themselves.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Sadly this is illegal now. Thinking of examples more like single mother with 15 year old and 17 year old. She's too small to knock them into next week. She needs support not fines or punishment.

Or a step ladder!

As a single mother of now grown up children, I hardly ever knocked them into the middle of next week (never).  Mostly they were no bother.  But, yep, there were a couple of transgressions, of course,  but they were met with a quick response, mainly to require them to overcome their embarrassment and go and apologise because they were getting no protection or cover from me.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I do absolutely agree, and I think we are saying the same thing.  Someone with the skills and capability of monitoring compliance should have been involved. But the covid response has been kept within a small team who probably had every intent to do the right thing, but didn't have the skills to fully ensure compliance. 

I agree - but my take is that 'should have been involved' doesn't constitute an excuse, its a reason. It was glaringly obvious that it should have been done, why it wasn't is the crux of this whole matter.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

What's the thrust of it?

That Quayle’s exit framework bears no semblance to the vaccination programme in terms of dates / reduction in risk.

CoMin is being called out & its music to my ears.

Edited by Nom de plume
  • Like 6

Just now, madmanxpilot said:

I agree - but my take is that 'should have been involved' doesn't constitute an excuse, its a reason. It was glaringly obvious that it should have been done, why it wasn't is the crux of this whole matter.

I agree and not excusing at all.  This is a sharp lesson in learning the limits of your ability, and if there is a "lesson to be learnt" it is that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I've no doubt you were, but just think if, back in those days, you were being told as a child that mixing with others your age in a park was wrong.  It's not exactly like robbing a bank is it?

Some people on here are clearly too old to remember being parents never mind being a child. I was taught right and wrong many times, but it made no difference and I didn't get it until I was about 25. I was well brought up but like you say 24hours without being allowed to go and see my mates would have been too much to bear. Not saying it's right or wrong but being pragmatic about what we can expect. 

27 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

That Quayle’s exit framework bears no semblance to the vaccination programme in terms of dates / reduction in risk.

CoMin is being called out & its music to my ears.

The lord bishop must have seen a different version to the rest of us. It's not a strategy it's a rough description of aspiration. A strategy would clearly set the data requirements that need to be achieved for each step so there was no subjective interpretation. 

• Like 1

A lot of people seem to think children just do as they are told.

They dont, theres kids aged 14/15/16 who are in adult bodies if they want to go out then they will and theres not much a parent can do, a parent lays hands on them the kid is onto the police/social services.

Not all children listen to their parents so blaming the parents is unfair without knowing the circumstances 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1