IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

38 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But it does make you wonder how much checking they did of the other details submitted.  The magistrate wondered the same - and was put in her place:

Even magistrates are forbidden from questioning the infallible decisions of the Manx Civil Service.  But it makes you wonder just how 'resident' these returning residents were and whether any checks were done.  Oakes clearly had no long -standing connection with the Island or an exclusion order couldn't have been imposed.

Well I’d have thought people with banning orders might be the first you’d want to look for as I’d have thought they’d be the least likely to observe self isolation rules for starters. I think this is an excellent example though of why we need to be more flexible but proactive controls with tests etc. Some of the extreme Covid mentalists seem to be psychologically taking comfort from the mantra that “the borders are closed” when they aren’t. I’d rather have an effective system that involves tests rather than an illusory belief that people aren’t coming here so we don’t have to do anything other than shut the border and impose self isolation on a few people when clearly they are and in reasonable numbers. I was made aware of a situation last week where a person managed to come here with a complete cock and bull story but he still got a permit and is now happily living in a flat owned by distant family here boasting about not going back to the UK until lockdown has fully ended. Lockdown tourism seems to be a real thing. 

Edited by Southfork

3 minutes ago, Banker said:

There’s lots come over to stay with family when they left several years ago. I know of several who have had no checks to ensure quarantine being respected although they were so suppose its random like UK.

testing on arrival is way to go

Lots also who couldn’t or didn’t sell their house here when they left and who are now back here for the first time in 5 - 10 years purely because of UK lockdown. 

I see Jersey has eased its lockdown some today. Be interesting to see what happens.

So, a few have moved here or come here and slipped through he net. 10's of thousands of people are going into Jersey with positive cases being detected every day and hundreds isolating for 14 days.  Most of those going to Jersey are either returning residents or families being reunited. Very few tourists. Too risky. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Southfork said:

Well I’d have thought people with banning orders might be the first you’d want to look for as I’d have thought they’d be the least likely to observe lockdown rules for starters. I think this is an excellent example though why we need to more proactive controls with tests etc. People seem to be psychologically taking comfort from the mantra that “the borders are closed” when they aren’t. I’d rather have an effective system that involves tests rather than an illusory belief that people aren’t coming here so we don’t have to do anything when clearly they are and in reasonable numbers. I was made aware of a situation last week where a person managed to come here with a complete cock and bull story but he still got a permit and is now happily living with distant family here boasting about not going back to the UK until lockdown has fully ended. Lockdown tourism seems to be a real thing. 

I'm not saying you shouldn't check exclusion orders, just that the basic checks should be a higher priority as more people would be affected.  In this case they would have picked up Oakes' lack of connection - and I suspect a lack of means to support herself[1].  

But you can't really argue from the way that current regulations aren't being policed properly that we should loosen the regulations.  If people aren't following the 14 day quarantine properly and no one is checking, why should anyone expect things to improve if it is reduced to seven (with or without testing).  If anything the reduction will just attract even more of the feckless and careless.

[1]  There's nothing to say she broke her quarantine - she arrived on 10 July and was arrested on the 30th - though if she has managed to acquire a new 'partner' in the remaining six days after quarantine ended she' clearly a fast worker.  She has convictions for fraud here and in the UK and you wonder if she was actually questioned about something else and the police noticed she shouldn't be here at all.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I'm not saying you shouldn't check exclusion orders, just that the basic checks should be a higher priority as more people would be affected.  In this case they would have picked up Oakes' lack of connection - and I suspect a lack of means to support herself[1].  

But you can't really argue from the way that current regulations aren't being policed properly that we should loosen the regulations.  If people aren't following the 14 day quarantine properly and no one is checking, why should anyone expect things to improve if it is reduced to seven (with or without testing).  If anything the reduction will just attract even more of the feckless and careless.

But you’re ignoring the fact that testing is tangible. It would be done on all arrivals and results would be sent to all arrivals so people are actually more trackable than they are at the moment and people wouldn’t fall through the net. And if they are negative so what they can do what they like after that even if it’s a bit of shoplifting. If they’re positive they’ll be found. It’s much more sensible than a trust based system that exists at the moment which is largely unpoliced. It’s only that many really stupid people still believe that the borders are actually “closed” that they can’t see beyond the end of their noses when it comes to testing and shortening self isolation requirements. They should spend less time getting angry about that on Facebook and maybe more time questioning what is really going on and how that is protecting them any better than tests would. But for some they’re that stupid that the belief that “the borders are closed” is all they want to hear so they can sleep at night. 

26 minutes ago, Cambon said:

I see Jersey has eased its lockdown some today. Be interesting to see what happens.

So, a few have moved here or come here and slipped through he net. 10's of thousands of people are going into Jersey with positive cases being detected every day and hundreds isolating for 14 days.  Most of those going to Jersey are either returning residents or families being reunited. Very few tourists. Too risky. 

Not sure where you get information from but there are only 7 active cases in Jersey and none requiring treatment!

c 46000 tests done and lots of tourists visiting.

1 minute ago, Southfork said:

. They should spend less time getting angry 

says Southfork, the angriest man around.

About this case, I've picked up some dull skeet seeing as she was staying in Castletown. There have been quite a lot of people 'isolating' in the various flats of Callows Yard, most of the flats are furnished and with internet so it looks like they've been capitalising there. This young lady had a couple of little kids with her apparently and was there for 10 days before being arrested. Also, the thieving former chef of Mustangs is back, and has weaseled his way back into TIlliards favour, isolated in one of the cottages and is now planning on re-opening the tea rooms, which have been empty since he got nicked. Strange place Castletown.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Southfork said:

But you’re ignoring the fact that testing is tangible. It would be done on all arrivals and results would be sent to all arrivals so people are actually more trackable than they are at the moment and people wouldn’t fall through the net. And if they are negative so what they can do what they like after that even if it’s a bit of shoplifting. If they’re positive they’ll be found. It’s much more sensible than a trust based system that exists at the moment which is largely unpoliced.

There may well be arguments for testing, but this isn't one of them.  If systems aren't working for one set-up, they probably won't work for another one as well.  If they can't do the occasional random check on those isolating, are they going to be able to get to them after 7 days to have the test done and then pass on the results?

Tescos don’t make me laugh, I have been trying every day  since March to get a slot so have hundreds of others.  There are no major other supermarkets who have the facilities.   Lots of volunteers, from rugby clubs to other groups who were doing a sterling job during lockdown.   The Government are not a complete nanny state yet surely everyone knows someone who will do a bit of shopping for them and most people have freezers they can stock up before they go the Creamery deliver, so do most butchers, and with a few tins it is quite feasible to plan ahead.  Also there are more places delivering food now.   Some people are just completely useless how they get through life is a complete wonderment.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Banker said:

Not sure where you get information from but there are only 7 active cases in Jersey and none requiring treatment!

c 46000 tests done and lots of tourists visiting.

17 active cases. If you test positive on arrival, you and everyone who sat around you on the plane have to self isolate. This is putting tourists off. As soon  it is back in the community, they will close the borders. Listen to the Manx radio mannin line podcast from yesterday. Andy Wint interviewed Ashley Tracey, a Manx girl living in Jersey. Interesting.

24 minutes ago, Cambon said:

17 active cases. If you test positive on arrival, you and everyone who sat around you on the plane have to self isolate. This is putting tourists off. As soon  it is back in the community, they will close the borders. Listen to the Manx radio mannin line podcast from yesterday. Andy Wint interviewed Ashley Tracey, a Manx girl living in Jersey. Interesting.

Stop making things up it’s 7 active cases as per Jersey state’s website!!

Negative tests

Confirmed cases

Pending results

Known active cases

Recovered cases

Registered deaths

Probable deaths

Proven deaths

Update: 2:25 PM, Friday 7 August 2020

46 minutes ago, Cambon said:

You are most definitely a Covid mentalist intent on whipping up rage & spreading fear.

Jersey has 7 active cases, nobody is hospitalised, 5 are asymptomatic & 2 with symptoms. Nearly 46,000 tests to date.

You need locking up for fake news propaganda - file under another MERA crank.

Ask yourself why HQ & DA don’t want to test. Perhaps they’d be afraid of what they’d find.

The IOM border situation & strategy is a joke, seemingly led by people who haven’t got a clue what to do.

Edited by Nom de plume

1 minute ago, Banker said:

Stop making things up it’s 7 active cases as per Jersey state’s website!!

Known active cases

It's a bit of a mystery why the website says that because if you add up the number of Confirmed Cases on the graphic since 24 July (ie 14 days ago) it comes to 12.  More worryingly one case is described as being from admissions screening (rather than arrivals screening) which I take to be admissions to hospital and suggests the virus may be in the community rather than just restricted to quarantined arrivals.

It's by no means the same sort of mess that Malta has managed to get itself into, with 49 new cases today and a situation that has meant they have gone from having only 4 or 5 active cases for a while to 311 today in just a fortnight.