IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

On 4/22/2020 at 5:17 AM, Filippo said:

The title of the posting makes it clear where I stand; I see the lockdown as a politically motivated act of social and economic vandalism. There is little evidence that the lockdown is achieving much as concerns limiting the direct damage from the pandemic: countries that have introduced social-distancing on a mostly voluntary basis (Sweden, The Netherlands, Hong Kong, Singapore, South Korea) while keeping most of their economies open and afloat are having much lower Covid-19 deaths per-capita than us. It tells about the competence (or lack thereof) of our authorities to achieve anything apart from crashing the economy and depleting public coffers.

The evidence of that bonehead failure is staggering (figures as of the 20th of April):

Cases     Deaths
    Isle of Man       300           9
    Singapore         8,014       11
    Hong Kong       1,206        4

The population of Hong Kong is 7.45 million versus 86K on this island. It means that on this island, the per-capita fatality of Covid-19 is 7,450 / 86 x 9 / 4 = 195 times that of Hong Kong. Same virus, but nearly 200 times more deadly on these shores! Hallelujah.

Yes, I know that IOM’s population is older on average. But also note these other circumstances. In Hong Kong, Singapore and South Korea the pandemic started nearly two months before us; the authorities here had nearly two months to prepare, and did nothing or very little about it. Furthermore, it is enormously more difficult to control a pandemic in such densely populated regions as Hong Kong and Singapore (the land surface of this island is nearly as much as Singapore’s, think). In Singapore, most of the contagion has come from immigrants’ dormitories where ten people sleep in a room; we don’t have here that kind of unmanageable problems on the IOM. It should have been comparably much easier for us.

Basically, the authorities here have been good at crashing the economy and stopping us from living our lives; while achieving very little as concerns mitigating the direct damage from the pandemic. They have little to show for the sacrifice imposed on us.

Listen to the pathetic speech of our politicians: I protect the island, I protect the island and I protect the island. Brainless. Brainless justification for trashing civil liberties, endangering our economic, physical and mental well-being, imposing on us a busybody police state. The politicians succeeded in positioning themselves such as to deflect or take the least blame for the situation of the pandemic. The police succeeded in jailing for months some low-lifers for having parties (keep reading about those sentences nearly every day now on IOM Today and Manx News and it makes me cringe). Good job.

This is the 1st post on this thread - a superb read.

In respect of the fantastic opening gambit that stands true almost a year on please can the words Ashie, Howie, Henny etc please be banned as twee affectionate pet names for continuously failing thick necked politicians that incessantly lie to the public isn’t the best.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

I've just listened to it again on listen again. Not one word,  before the first question, from sam turton from gef. 

Oh it's extremely odd.  It's like having Ewart there whose only purpose seems to be to agree with whatever Ashford said.  Which given that she's probably supplied the information, is what you'd expect.

One irritating thing that has happened recently is that Manx Radio have stopped doing their Live Blogs which meant you didn't have to sit through the ordeal.  Presumably they were told to stop so everyone would be forced to watch the Howie and Ashie show.  These people seem to want to control everything except the epidemic.

Sam Turton seems to try to replace it with his report on the conference, but it's not as quick with him being on his own.  It's a real dereliction of duty on the part of the national broadcaster.

• Like 3

I've said it before, but the handling of public interaction is probably symptomatic of a lack of confidence in the decisions. 

There really has to be wider consultation.   I have previously framed that as taking the pressure off, sharing the load, but I actually mean getting a variety  of skills, knowledge and experience in there, and LISTEN to them, heed them and sense check with them, FFS.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, doc.fixit said:

Maybe I was wrong about the common sense aspect.

Of course the govt. spokespeople have never said that the general public wouldn't understand. I was suggesting the implication that because many answers are not complete or without enough facts then it suggests that they don't trust the general public. 

It appears that you believe the govt. is doing a great job, they give enough, complete information to the public and their performance is satisfactory.

Good for you.

I was just trying to get to the bottom of your original post. It’s no clearer now.  

The Government provide  an enormous amount of relevant information and facts on their website and the briefings. What information do you feel you are missing? I would seriously like to know.

Re your third paragraph I do believe the Government is doing a good job in disseminating information to the public. Again, what more do you want?

I repeat, Government bashing for the sake of it.

35 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

This is the 1st post on this thread - a superb read.

In respect of the fantastic opening gambit that stands true almost a year on please can the words Ashie, Howie, Henny etc please be banned as twee affectionate pet names for continuously failing thick necked politicians that incessantly lie to the public isn’t the best.

Can you please provide just one example of the incessant lies you refer to? 

With proof of course

Thanks

Geting the truth out of ashford and quayle is akin to asking a 5 year old that you have just watched with your own eyes eat the cake, with cake all over their faces, have they just eaten a cake. It takes skill, patience and understanding to get a 5 year old to admit to a lie, plus you get more than 2 questions to gently extract the truth out of them. Ashford and quayle insult peoples intelligence with their lies, patience is wearing a bit thin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Can you please provide just one example of the incessant lies you refer to? 

With proof of course

Thanks

"perfectly safe" to send your kids to school, the other week, about 24 hours before enforcing an all island lockdown owing to a huge rise in cases driven by, err, rampant transmission in schools.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

One irritating thing that has happened recently is that Manx Radio have stopped doing their Live Blogs which meant you didn't have to sit through the ordeal.  Presumably they were told to stop so everyone would be forced to watch the Howie and Ashie show.  These people seem to want to control everything except the epidemic.

Sam Turton seems to try to replace it with his report on the conference, but it's not as quick with him being on his own.  It's a real dereliction of duty on the part of the national broadcaster.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/coronavirus-news/live-blog-coronavirus-media-conference-friday-19th-march/

still doing them @Roger Mexico if that is what you meant

• Thanks 1