IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

3 hours ago, trmpton said:

Coastguard launch an appeal to stop idiots riding their bikes in stupid places during lockdown having been called out three times.

They really need to implement a ban on idiots trekking all over the island while we are meant to be staying home.

STAY AT HOME ffs

The roads are absolutely infested with cyclists there are literally thousands of them all over the island all day every day at the moment!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, manxst said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/two-in-cells-overnight-after-covid-offence-arrests/

wonder if these will turn out to be ‘simple misunderstandings’, or whether Jurby awaits the miscreants? 

One of them, a convicted smack-dealer, staggered into the Duke Street Co-op, not social-distancing and without a mask, wandered around aimlessly amongst the customers and when he got to the check-out, declared he'd just got off a flight in from Manchester and knew he'd probably end up being arrested! I don't remember this venue being designated as a "low-risk" situation. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, finlo said:

The roads are absolutely infested with cyclists there are literally thousands of them all over the island all day every day at the moment!

There is nothing wrong with going out to exercise, just keep your distance, follow hygiene rules etc. It is good for body and mind (much better than staying in a room with Netflix). I would add that doing extreme downhill etc at the moment is not responsible, if only because their actions if injured may lead to the current freedoms being curtailed.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, finlo said:

There will be a shtathistic. For every 1000 cyclists, there will be an accident and hospitalisation, and all that goes with it.

Looks like that stat has been blown out the water.

People need to get out but what do you do?

All-island 40mph speed limit for a start. That stone will kill a few birds, but maybe do the usual thing and wait until there is a serious accident first.

Edited by Barlow

Just now, quilp said:

One of them, a convicted smack-dealer, staggered into the Duke Street Co-op, not social-distancing and without a mask, wandered around aimlessly amongst the customers and when he got to the check-out, declared he'd just got off a flight in from Manchester and knew he'd probably end up being arrested! I don't remember this venue being designated as a "low-risk" situation. 

There are people whose lives are so chaotic and empty that Jurby represents a bed, three daily meals and like minded company. Much better than being alone in the filthy bedsit with an empty fridge. They do not care if they go inside, and in this case maybe hoped for that outcome.  

3 minutes ago, Barlow said:

All-island 40mph speed limit for a start. That stone will kill a few birds, but maybe do the usual thing and wait until there is a serious accident first.

The speed limit was one of the most contentious issues during lockdown 1. I recall it felt like a time in which time every government department seemed to feel that they had to come up with some petty, annoying rule or ban e.g. bonfire ban. All it did was irritate many people, who complained bitterly to their MHK's, serving only to distract from the main message. We are in lockdown 3, and heading for the phased exit form a known virus and with facilities in place. Different times, different measures required.  

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, quilp said:

Surely it would only be deemed low/middle/high risk if this person tested positive for covid. Not just they've come back from the uk

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

There are people whose lives are so chaotic and empty that Jurby represents a bed, three daily meals and like minded company. Much better than being alone in the filthy bedsit with an empty fridge. They do not care if they go inside, and in this case maybe hoped for that outcome.  

So this is somehow excusable behaviour? Not that he potentially could have endangered the well-being and possibly the lives of those he could have encountered should he turn out to be a positive case? He'd returned from Manchester, on arrival back here he would've been prompted to abide by the rules yet wilfully ignored them. It was my daughter behind the counter at the check-out. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, quilp said:

Surely being a politician is also vocational

That has to be joke of the day.

Whilst it may be applicable to a few of the 'I really want to change things' brigade who, once they get into politics rapidly realise that inertia is so great to the point of standstill that little can be achieved.  Once in the system, I'd suggest that most 'politicians' and with a seat permanently booked on the gravy-train, they find it a jolly good income stream and preferable/privileged lifestyle compared to the shop-assistant/shop-owner/electrician.  They are also, once sucking at the teat of their new-found political patrons, given degrees of responsibility that most of them could not only dream of attaining through merit, ability or intellectual gift but also never reach in a month of Sundays in the real-world. 

One need look no further at the colossal intellects and vast management experience of our CMs over the past 20 years to see the mediocrity that is endemic in this faux nation-state we purport to live in  - not!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Utah 01 said:

That has to be joke of the day.

Whilst it may be applicable to a few of the 'I really want to change things' brigade who, once they get into politics rapidly realise that inertia is so great to the point of standstill that little can be achieved.  Once in the system, I'd suggest that most 'politicians' and with a seat permanently booked on the gravy-train, they find it a jolly good income stream and preferable/privileged lifestyle compared to the shop-assistant/shop-owner/electrician.  They are also, once sucking at the teat of their new-found political patrons, given degrees of responsibility that most of them could not only dream of attaining through merit, ability or intellectual gift but also never reach in a month of Sundays in the real-world. 

One need look no further at the colossal intellects and vast management experience of our CMs over the past 20 years to see the mediocrity that is endemic in this faux nation-state we purport to live in  - not!

Sadly, you're probably correct here. I was perhaps imagining that an application to public duty overrode other ambitions.

30 minutes ago, finlo said:

................and just where, in the great COVID risk analysis, would you place this gargantuan threat to public health?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Surely it would only be deemed low/middle/high risk if this person tested positive for covid. Not just they've come back from the uk

Probably higher risk if he’d arrived in Manchester from Isle of Man as our infections rate are much higher!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3