IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 minute ago, thesultanofsheight said:

...a load of Covid obsessed lunatics...

Outnumber the rest of the population, at least in the UK (2/3 of people scared to send kids to school in September)

Don’t agree with the inflammatory language, but I have said before that fear of coronavirus is as bad as coronavirus. In the early stages governments almost everywhere did too good a job of scaring everyone.  Some of that now needs to be undone. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Outnumber the rest of the population, at least in the UK (2/3 of people scared to send kids to school in September)

Don’t agree with the inflammatory language, but I have said before that fear of coronavirus is as bad as coronavirus. In the early stages governments almost everywhere did too good a job of scaring everyone.  Some of that now needs to be undone. 

Well in the UK they still have Covid unlike here. I’m happy with inflammatory language to be honest as a lot of them are lunatics as far as I’m concerned. If they’d rather be unemployed and on the scrap heap for the next decade instead of risk catching a virus which has a very low mortality rate then that’s their business. They’re completely free to lock themselves inside their own houses for the next few years if their concerns are that great but trying to restrict the freedom of people who accept the risks is unacceptable. The whole thing has got out of control. Some are scared and some are just lazy and don't want to go back to work and think the economy functions in some magic way that if you do nothing you still get paid. Some hard lessons going to be learned as furlough schemes unwind. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It would be interesting to find the percentage of population infected, of those how many are asymptomatic, how many hospitalised and how many have died.  That would then give an idea of how likely it is to contract the virus and the likely outcome. 

I doubt those figures are available  because the source data hasn't  been collected. 

2 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Well in the UK they still have Covid unlike here. I’m happy with inflammatory language to be honest as a lot of them are lunatics as far as I’m concerned. If they’d rather be unemployed and on the scrap heap for the next decade instead of risk catching a virus which has a very low mortality rate then that’s their business. They’re completely free to lock themselves inside their own houses for the next few years if their concerns are that great but trying to restrict the freedom of people who accept the risks is unacceptable. The whole thing has got out of control. Some are scared and some are just lazy and don't want to go back to work and think the economy functions in some magic way that if you do nothing you still get paid. Some hard lessons going to be learned as furlough schemes unwind. 

Totally agree. If you're scared of catching the Virus then don't go to busy public places, wash you're hands regular and keep 2m away from people you don't trust and IT'S VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO CATCH COVID !!!!

Do this, and let the rest of the Island get on with life and let the tourist industry earn some money, to pay some taxes, to pay you to stay at home!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

It would be interesting to find the percentage of population infected, of those how many are asymptomatic, how many hospitalised and how many have died.  That would then give an idea of how likely it is to contract the virus and the likely outcome. 

I doubt those figures are available  because the source data hasn't  been collected. 

I think these figures are available Gladys - There was a study in New York looking at both conventional tests, antibody testing and hospitalisations/deaths.  I can try and track it down for you later, but the bottom line is that if you are generally healthy the risks even if you catch covid are minimal.  I think people know this, it's just that they don't understand and contextualise risk very well.  If the BBC put out road accident stats every night ("Another 125 people have been injured on the roads today, with 35 hospitalised and 4 dead", read out by Fiona Bruce for example) then you'd have campaigns to ban cars and close roads.

• Like 2

There’s more chance of dying from a shark attack whilst cage diving than losing your life to Covid if you’re in decent nick.

The new Project Fear after the failed EU Remoaner campaign.

Where’s the public outcry over deaths caused by smoking or drinking?

Whilst I’m bleating, time to charge fatties at excess baggage rates on airlines - another piss boiler that one.

Edited by Nom de plume
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I think people know this, it's just that they don't understand and contextualise risk very well.  If the BBC put out road accident stats every night ("Another 125 people have been injured on the roads today, with 35 hospitalised and 4 dead", read out by Fiona Bruce for example) then you'd have campaigns to ban cars and close roads.

That's true Wrighty...but it's Govts worldwide that have been putting out this message (and still are), not BBC (or other news organisations) of their own accord. Plus those Govts (except D.Trump) claim/state that they are led by the advice of their medical experts who are far more knowledgeable than the man in the street.

So what are the populations supposed to believe? We've been locked down and  whatever else and had the fear of God put into us by our own leaders. And the people have obediently listened and in some cases been praised for their response. So what else are they supposed to do or think? TV pictures of 90,000 new graves being dug outside Sao Paolo simply reinforces the message.

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo

54 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I think these figures are available Gladys - There was a study in New York looking at both conventional tests, antibody testing and hospitalisations/deaths.  I can try and track it down for you later, but the bottom line is that if you are generally healthy the risks even if you catch covid are minimal.  I think people know this, it's just that they don't understand and contextualise risk very well.  If the BBC put out road accident stats every night ("Another 125 people have been injured on the roads today, with 35 hospitalised and 4 dead", read out by Fiona Bruce for example) then you'd have campaigns to ban cars and close roads.

Thanks Wrighty, but does the New York study cover a random sample of the whole population, not just those in high risk categories or with symptoms? 

6 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

New Zealand going back into lockdown.

Not Quite.  It's Auckland, and it's 'level 3 lockdown' which means they still have most businesses open, and it's for 3 days.  They've found 4 cases without obvious travel source.

A bit of context, rather than 'we're doomed', is helpful I think.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

New Zealand going back into lockdown.

No they haven't.  From the Guardian liveblog:

After 102 days New Zealand has its first cases of Covid-19 outside of a managed isolation or quarantine facility, Jacinda Ardern, the prime minister, has just told reporters in a late-night news conference.

There are four confirmed cases of Covid-19 in one family in New Zealand’s largest city, Auckland. The family had not travelled from overseas and the source of the infection is unknown.

This is significant because the country had not recorded transmission of the virus within the community in more than three months and daily life had returned to normal, except for strict border controls. All 22 known cases of the virus before this announcement were among returning travellers quarantined in isolation facilities.

The latest case in New Zealand was diagnosed in a person in their 50s who lives in south Auckland. That person was tested on Monday; a second test on Tuesday was also positive. The person had no history of overseas travel.

Three other family members of the six in the house have tested positive for the coronavirus; the others have tested negative.

Ardern has not yet announced what restrictions will be imposed as a result.

I should imagine there will be a lot of track-and-trace and testing, plus local measures.