IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

4 hours ago, Zarley said:

According to Dr Ewart yesterday in her answer to PM (@38:12) if a person has a positive test at 13 days, they have to isolate for a further week, but are not tested again. 

Nuts if you ask me but there ya go!

I agree that is daft, but even so, it may still explain why the active cases haven't dropped as much as expected given that they won't be deemed recovered until 21 days, rather than at 14 days, which is the point I was making.

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Bus Vannin copping some flak on the social medias. Bunch of drivers tested positive and a load more isolating apparently. Someone had suggested to me a little while back that the management, or at least a very senior member of, were in the 'its all overblown and could be a hoax' camp, so it doesn't come as much surprise that things might have been a touch slack.

As much as one in management may have thought covid was a hoax etc etc, surely the responsibility of the bus drivers should also fall upon themselves too?

Maybe, one bus driver was not being as careful as they should and caught it outside of their bus duties - not bus vannin's fault. Maybe, a covid positive (asymptomatic) bus driver mixed with others on their lunch break at the depot - again, not bus vannin's fault as every single driver should have been maintaining social distancing while going about their day outside of their bus driving. Maybe, the bus drivers werent using the basic handwashing advice that we have all been told and have caught covid whilst they got on the bus (from handles etc) and then caught covid for to lack of handwashing. Maybe, the bus drivers used tesco for their breaktime snacks, caught covid due to not following handwashing advice after using basket/trolley. Maybe, a bus driver has a family member who has been going out and about more than neccesary and has passed covid to their partner who is a driver. 

My point is, Unite can't blame bus vannin for something that is very probably not their fault. The bus drivers should all count themselves lucky that they will be on full pay whilst isolating. Others haven't been so lucky over the last 12 months. 

Edited by Manxas
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Manxas said:

Why should our public health director be taking a wage from our pot yet live elsewhere? Serious question by the way, I thought it would be essential that our top roles are based on island. 

It's not the public health director but the temporary (for two years) CEO of the DHSC.  It was made clear that she would still be living in England, but she was supposed to be flying over to do three days a week on the Island.  Some of us said this was bonkers at the time and that trying to make a badly performing organisation work would require more than flying visits - you need to see what is going on on the ground and speak to those at all levels (including patients) to see what is really happening.  Reading reports isn't enough.

As it turned out Covid struck fairly soon after she took up the post, so she's spent most of the time not setting foot in the place.  In some ways it's a wonderful demonstration of the uselessness of senior service management and how out of touch they are.  You can be thought to be doing a good job if you're not even in the same country.   But then some of them don't seem to be on the same planet.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 5

2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's not the public health director but the temporary (for two years) CEO of the DHSC.  It was made clear that she would still be living in England, but she was supposed to be flying over to do three days a week on the Island.  Some of us said this was bonkers at the time and that trying to make a badly performing organisation work would require more than flying visits - you need to see what is going on on the ground and speak to those at all levels (including patients) to see what is really happening.  Reading reports isn't enough.

As it turned out Covid struck fairly soon after she took up the post, so she's spent most of the time not setting foot in the place.  In some ways it's a wonderful demonstration of the uselessness of senior service management and how out of touch they are.  You can be thought to be doing a good job if you're not even in the same country.   But then some of them don't seem to be on the same planet.

Paying tax across the water or here then? 

24 minutes ago, Manxas said:

As much as one in management may have thought covid was a hoax etc etc, surely the responsibility of the bus drivers should also fall upon themselves too?

Maybe, one bus driver was not being as careful as they should and caught it outside of their bus duties - not bus vannin's fault. Maybe, a covid positive (asymptomatic) bus driver mixed with others on their lunch break at the depot - again, not bus vannin's fault as every single driver should have been maintaining social distancing while going about their day outside of their bus driving. Maybe, the bus drivers werent using the basic handwashing advice that we have all been told and have caught covid whilst they got on the bus (from handles etc) and then caught covid for to lack of handwashing. Maybe, the bus drivers used tesco for their breaktime snacks, caught covid due to not following handwashing advice after using basket/trolley. 

It's an air born virus there have been little to no cases of transmission from surfaces.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00251-4

You have to question the wisdom of our leaders who tell you to wash your hands more than they do to mask up.

Edited by Ham_N_Eggs
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Manxas said:

If she's not resident here and peing paid for holding a public office she is charged IOM tax at 20% with no tax free allowance but on her IOM salary.

5 hours ago, Newbie said:

Dr Ewart did say that they were seeing a number of people still testing positive after 14 days (which she put down to the Kent variant), so that is also going to affect the number recovered figure, but presumably they will test negative eventually and be deemed to have recovered.

That was basically my point, though I'd like to see more evidence.  To produce a measurable effect on the recovery figures it would have to be a quite dramatic effect - increasing the number of infections lasting over 14 days from 1% to 2% wouldn't do it.  There may also be the 'old' or 'historic' cases problem, though you ought to pick that up from repeated testing if you do it right, but I'm sure they are checking for that.

The testing again in 7 days is a bit odd, most places would only leave it a couple, if only to monitor an unusual situation.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Manxas said:

Tax is a personal matter. But, a person in a similar situation would have to pay UK tax on their earnings as they would fail the HMRC's statutory residency test at the first hurdle:

'If you’ve been in the UK for 183 or more days you’ll be a UK resident. There is no need to consider any other tests.'

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

He did not exhibit any “unabashed smuggery”about the complaints even though he had every right to do so.

"he had every right to do so"

Does he? I can't believe you've written this but in itself it speaks volumes. For "smuggery" see contempt and disdain.

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Throughout this he has conducted himself with dignity, which his more than can be said for his critics

His body language, tone of voice, condescending manner, dismissive attitude, high-handedness with the media. If you can't see it you're definitely part of it.

Voice of Reason my arse. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, piebaps said:

If she's not resident here and peing paid for holding a public office she is charged IOM tax at 20% with no tax free allowance but on her IOM salary.

You need to be resident in the IOM to pay only Manx tax. If you are a UK resident, you will have to declare your Manx  income to HMRC and they will tax you. HMRC will give you credit for any Manx tax you have paid under the double taxation agreement, but they will tax you as if your money was earned in the UK.

Edited by madmanxpilot
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

It's an air born virus there have been little to no cases of transmission from surfaces.

You have to question the wisdom of our leaders who tell you to wash your hands more than they do to mask up.

Yes I mentioned this a couple of months and a thousand pages ago.  Emanuel Goldman has been going on about this for ages and he may have gone a bit the other way - I wouldn't recommend sucking a pen immediately after someone else for instance.  There may also be problems associated with low temperature surfaces, hence the meat plant outbreaks.  But it was obvious from early on that the main spread was in aerosol form and even at the time a lot of the insistence of washing hands etc looked wrongly emphasised (there may be historic reasons for this in the US and particularly the UK).

22 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

When it comes to testing at the moment over here you can't be sure of anything

Confession time: I thought I had written "I'm not sure they are checking for that".  More important I'm not sure they are testing everyone else in the household.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

I don't understand the mandatory masks/face covering on public transport, when everywhere else is just advisory.

There needs to be clear instruction from the government, there is plenty of track 'n' trace data by now and they should have a good idea just how the virus is spread.