IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

I believe so if there has been a positive test. If no positive test in the house but if just high risk contact I believe you are free after your 1 and 7 day negatives if no one in house tests positive at any stage or has symptoms.

My question is if the whole household are tested, because you can easily see it ricocheting, asymptomaticaaly between family members after the isolation period. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

My question is if the whole household are tested, because you can easily see it ricocheting, asymptomaticaaly between family members after the isolation period. 

Yes. I have always wondered about that and it used to baffle me how in early lockdown 1, only one person had to isolate when it could clearly pass, sequentially to everyone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, manxchester said:

In lockdown 2 the whole house definitely wasn’t tested. My wife got tested on day 3 (I think) and then day 14, both negative and no one else in the house got tested. Not sure if they’ve changed things in this lockdown but probably not..

If that is still the case, then with the longer infective period of the Kent variant, no wonder cases aren't coming down as expected.

So, to add to Dr Ewart two causes, the character of the variant and the great Manx public being non-compliant, we can add "and letting people out of self isolation when they may still be infectious". 

As Dr Ewart herself said, it is easy to justify your actions to yourself. 

• Like 1

There seems to be a growing belief that international holidays will be very limited this summer. Now if only the IOMG could do something about opening the borders to the UK a couple of months before they currently plan, we may well be seeing donkeys on Douglas beach once more. UK residents coming here because they are unable to jet off abroad could provide our hard hit hospitality industry with a massive boost.

Vaccine passports may be the way to go. Having only vaccinated people visit our largely vaccinated Island would surely be sufficient mitigation of risk.

P&O are doing cruises around the UK which are only open to vaccinated people. Perhaps we should be encouraging them to stop by too.

Edited by madmanxpilot
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

There seems to be a growing belief that international holidays will be very limited this summer. Now if only the IOMG could do something about opening the borders to the UK a couple of months before they currently plan, we may well be seeing donkeys on Douglas beach once more. UK residents coming here because they are unable to jet off abroad could provide our hard hit hospitality industry with a massive boost.

Vaccine passports may be the way to go. Having only vaccinated people visit our largely vaccinated Island would surely be sufficient mitigation of risk.

P&O are doing cruises around the UK which are only open to vaccinated people. Perhaps we should be encouraging them to stop by too.

Jersey & Guernsey will beat us to it as they’re both looking to open borders fully around 1st July when all adults had at least one jab & all priority groups fully vaccinated, Guernsey & Jersey will allow families & friends to recommence visits shortly subject to applicable quarantine regulations.

MSC cruises are also doing round U.K. cruises with embarkation in Southampton, Liverpool & greenock open to all with unvaccinated subject to negative tests 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

we may well be seeing donkeys on Douglas beach once more.

If we manage to get to a situation where we have an air bridge to Guernsey again, yes, we might see "donkeys" on Douglas beach, as we did last summer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Banker said:

Jersey & Guernsey will beat us to it as they’re both looking to open borders fully around 1st July when all adults had at least one jab & all priority groups fully vaccinated, Guernsey & Jersey will allow families & friends to recommence visits shortly subject to applicable quarantine regulations.

MSC cruises are also doing round U.K. cruises with embarkation in Southampton, Liverpool & greenock open to all with unvaccinated subject to negative tests 

There will still be plenty of business to go around though. I think having only vaccinated people come ashore from a cruise ship would be more palatable for our Government, that's why I didn't mention MSC. 

Vaccine done. Quick and slick at the airport.

Roads quiet apart from around Dirty Douglas the Covid Capital and even the much maligned Glen Helen car park wasn't rammed.

No noticeable side effects yet, apart from repeatedly singing Land of Hope and Glory and an overwhelming urge to tell Manx people how to run their Island.:D

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, piebaps said:

Vaccine done. Quick and slick at the airport.

Roads quiet apart from around Dirty Douglas the Covid Capital and even the much maligned Glen Helen car park wasn't rammed.

No noticeable side effects yet, apart from repeatedly singing Land of Hope and Glory and an overwhelming urge to tell Manx people how to run their Island.:D

You had the Oxford jab then? 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Hmmmm said:

Listened to the James Davies interview re vaccination with Hetty and Magson  and thought they all spoke well without the foreboding presence of HQ.  It is almost as though they pick up on his demeanour and this inhibits them.  Ashford becomes so obsequious to Quayle when there really is no justification for such deference.  

Whilst I don't agree with Magson's off island status, she is clearly knowledgeable and is the CEO of the Hospital and answered questions without the Ashford bluster - she  was content to provide a demographic overview of the patients in hospital without churning out  GDPR dressed up with a multitude of verbosity that Ashford employs.  All in all, given her status, she should be utilised more for the briefings and give DA a time out.  Quayle should also pick and choose his appearances and have the confidence to place his trust in others to deliver the information. Alas it is the fact both are reluctant to  step back and others are content to let them plod on, that leads to the malaise in the briefings.

in fairness to JD he came over well in his questioning.

Civil servants/public servants receive monumental stick on these pages - including from me - which is often merited. But on this express issue of communication, I have found that when cs/ps figures are interviewed, on pretty well every occasion they perform to a much higher standard than Ministers/the political community generally. Admittedly, you don’t get cs/ps people from the lower rungs of the ladder being asked to explain issues; it’s usually (as in this case) ‘Director of...’ ‘Head of...’ and CEO types. Whereas therefore knuckleheads like Cregeen can speak with ‘authority’ (ha ha) as Ministers as they are ‘at the top’ (again ha ha), there’s no distance between persuading a few hundred Malew drongos to vote for you and reaching ‘the top’. People like Magson have very likely had further or university education, are in any event, because of where they’ve reached professionally,  likely to be brighter than 95% of Tynwald, have achieved rather more challenging and complex workplace problems than painting a wall or raising beef cattle, and have much superior communication skills. Quite frankly I’d be entirely content for the likes of Quayle and Ashford to STFU and let the situation on the ground be explained by those leading the response to it (whatever ‘it’ is).

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Gladys said:

You had the Oxford jab then? 

How could you tell?:D

5 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Civil servants/public servants receive monumental stick on these pages - including from me - which is often merited. But on this express issue of communication, I have found that when cs/ps figures are interviewed, on pretty well every occasion they perform to a much higher standard than Ministers/the political community generally. Admittedly, you don’t get cs/ps people from the lower rungs of the ladder being asked to explain issues; it’s usually (as in this case) ‘Director of...’ ‘Head of...’ and CEO types. Whereas therefore knuckleheads like Cregeen can speak with ‘authority’ (ha ha) as Ministers as they are ‘at the top’ (again ha ha), there’s no distance between persuading a few hundred Malew drongos to vote for you and reaching ‘the top’. People like Magson have very likely had further or university education, are in any event, because of where they’ve reached professionally,  likely to be brighter than 95% of Tynwald, have achieved rather more challenging and complex workplace problems than painting a wall or raising beef cattle, and have much superior communication skills. Quite frankly I’d be entirely content for the likes of Quayle and Ashford to STFU and let the situation on the ground be explained by those leading the response to it (whatever ‘it’ is).

Indeed. The Ministers insist on fronting when in reality they're not the best people to be doing it.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

Are you suggesting that we build The Berth...? 😮