IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

7 minutes ago, Banker said:

I am not a big fan of the Daily Mail, but in this instance the content is unusually balanced, more so than the BBC for example. It states the headlined statistics, but in the body of the article it explains quite clearly the counter arguments to the inferred headlines stance. 

11 hours ago, Roxanne said:

Could this variant be a lot more ‘catchable’ than we know even now? 

To be honest, this is what viruses 'do'.  Over time they will evolve to become more transmissible but less deadly (possibly partially responsible for the reduction in deaths?).  A virus that kills its host quickly and without time to spread, isn't a very good virus.  That's the modus operandi - to spread...

You can still find genetic traces of the great Spanish Flu in today's generic winter Flu bugs that go around.  Remember, at the time it killed 10s of millions.  Now it's just the flu. 

Luckily this is why those hemorrhagic fevers such as Ebola have never really spread that far.  They kill their hosts too quickly. 

Edited by The Phantom
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

To be honest, this is what viruses 'do'.  Over time they will evolve to become more transmissible but less deadly (possibly partially responsible for the reduction in deaths?).  A virus that kills its host quickly and without time to spread, isn't a very good virus.  That's the modus operandi - to spread...

You can still find genetic traces of the great Spanish Flu in today's generic winter Flu bugs that go around.  Remember, at the time it killed 10s of millions.  Now it's just the flu. 

Luckily this is why those hemorrhagic fevers such as Ebola have never really spread that far.  They kill their hosts too quickly. 

I've seen lots of hopeful comments like that over the last year, but it isn't completely correct.  It doesn't really matter to the spread of the virus whether it kills you or not.  It uses your body to reproduce and spread itself, killing the host off too quickly is obviously sub-optimal as you say, but what state it leaves it afterwards doesn't matter.  As it happens the evidence seems to be that the Kent strain is more deadly that its predecessors. 

Obviously vaccination will help mitigate that and we seem to have been lucky with the demographics of the last two outbreaks here (I think the January one was also mainly the Kent variant) being overwhelming in the young.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I've seen lots of hopeful comments like that over the last year, but it isn't completely correct.  It doesn't really matter to the spread of the virus whether it kills you or not.  It uses your body to reproduce and spread itself, killing the host off too quickly is obviously sub-optimal as you say, but what state it leaves it afterwards doesn't matter.  As it happens the evidence seems to be that the Kent strain is more deadly that its predecessors. 

Obviously vaccination will help mitigate that and we seem to have been lucky with the demographics of the last two outbreaks here (I think the January one was also mainly the Kent variant) being overwhelming in the young.

Whilst I do respect Al Jazeera generally, that article says may be more deadly.  Once again very little proof or knowledge on this virus (from the experts, not you).  I'm basing my previous comment on historical evidence on all viruses generally and basic common sense.   But then we are also talking about populations getting herd immunity to these things over the years.

Although admittedly getting sensible figures for this when so many of the high risk demographic have been vaxxed must be quite tricky.  Hardcore statistical analysis would be required, but we all know that you can always manipulate statistics. 

Yes the current demographic of our outbreak is veered towards the young with approx 1/3 asymptomatic.  But it is interesting to look at the mortality figures for this outbreak - we've got approx 1000 cases and only one death - that's 0.1%.  Previous figures to this outbreak were approx 500 and 25 deaths - that's 5% (although skewed by Abbotswood).   That is a fairly significant difference - although again testing wasn't quite up to speed on the previous outbreaks. 

I see iom police have released figures from start of lockdown 3 to 21 March for  suicide threats and one attempt on life.

Not good reading.  There really isn’t enough help out there for people considering the time they had to plan for this inevitable situation.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Utah 01 said:

I asked my vaccinator at Chester St.  I put it to him that if there was going to be a festering hotpot of this threat to mankind then he and his numerous colleagues was in it, and had been since opening with a through-put of how many CV laden individuals?  So has anyone caught it at the Chester St centre.

No!  So go away and think up another scare story to keep the fear factor up!

The vaccinators wear ppe and perhaps most importantly wear it properly.

The Government Covid briefings should have provided someone to explain the proper use of ppe, with an update every now and then.

12 hours ago, quilp said:

As well as being economical with the truth, given the incubation time who remembers who they talked to or where they were over the last 14 (perhaps 21 days)?

We're are in lockdown. There is no reason to be anywhere 14-21 days ago. If shopping then the till receipt or card record will show where you were. etc.

We should all know exactly where we were 14-21 days ago.

The Government briefings should have given advice on keeping a simple diary. That one really isn't rocket science. Hence we have some many 'fuck nose where I could have picked the virus up from'.

Those hallowed untraceable 'unknown' cases that are controlling lockdown just now. 

Edited by Barlow

15 minutes ago, trmpton said:

I see iom police have released figures from start of lockdown 3 to 21 March for  suicide threats and one attempt on life.

Not good reading.  There really isn’t enough help out there for people considering the time they had to plan for this inevitable situation.

Those figures were from ‘just’ last week according to the news reports I read. 

Does anyone know why the jab rate has dropped so much? It averaged well over 1000 a day for 2 weeks now with last Thursday and Friday close to 2000. Monday dropped to 610, the lowest since March 7th and today its just 163 so far. 

I can only think of 2 reasons. Massive no shows, which sounds unlikely or the appointments weren't made in which case why? Certainly isn't lack of stock with over 15k sat there.

15 minutes ago, trmpton said:

That last bit.

All of this, all of it, is exactly because of that. They go on and on about the '7 months of normality' last year, which they should have used to get prepared for everything, and yet here we are.

Oh, and its our fault.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Lewis said:

Does anyone know why the jab rate has dropped so much? It averaged well over 1000 a day for 2 weeks now with last Thursday and Friday close to 2000. Monday dropped to 610, the lowest since March 7th and today its just 163 so far. 

I can only think of 2 reasons. Massive no shows, which sounds unlikely or the appointments weren't made in which case why? Certainly isn't lack of stock with over 15k sat there.

And just 3 1st doses yesterday and none so far today, I simply do not understand the strategy

2 minutes ago, Meoir Shee said:

And just 3 1st doses yesterday and none so far today, I simply do not understand the strategy

That's even more worrying because it surely isn't deliberate.

Edited by Lewis
Addition

4 minutes ago, Lewis said:

Mentioned this on vaccine thread yesterday and was roundly criticized by usual suspects, Quilip, FuckWit & teapot for daring to suggest it was unacceptable, hopefully they’ll pick the pace up as the vaccine is sat in fridge