IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

11 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

It does to them!

To be fair I don't disagree with your sentiments. However we have set precedents that don't go away. The welders should have had an overnight in the cells then sent on their way. Same for the lady who went to get petrol. I feel for the police as the poor buggers will always be wrong and the situation itself is unprecedented. 

Precedents based on what we did last year to protect an island where we had no virus and no one vaccinated are out the window.

Those who need to be are vaccinated, Regardless  of what they say we are well and truly into the nice to have vaccination area now.  Most people I know going lately would have coped fine with COVID (a lot have probably had it)

What we did last year is irrelevant as it was a completely different risk profile.

People are vaccinated and the virus is here.  The last few weeks have shown it doesn't really impact most people who get it, certainly not to an extent that the current restrictions are appropriate.

Just give us our lives back.  So many people are completely broke and mentally realy struggling it is beyond a joke now.

Anyone else who wants to is welcome to shield for as long as they feel comfortable 

• Like 4

On 3/23/2021 at 11:59 AM, code99 said:

I bet that last year, when outsiders were listening to HQ boasting about our success with Covid-19, they thought we were a Covid-fighting superpower (the S Korea of the Irish sea). Sadly, this was not so. Apparently, we are just a small island with limited resources, which is only capable of keeping the external doors closed, well largely anyway. 

What aggravates me about HQ is that he is treating the public as if we are naughty children (his government screwed up the supervision of the SPC, not the public). Now if we do no obey, the government will clamp down even harder. To me this condescending attitude towards the public does not help to resolve the current situation. What is needed is reciprocal respect and cooperation between the government and the people. That reciprocity is at the heart of S Korea's success. 

Why some people are here breaking the rules? Many reasons I suspect, not the least of which has something to do with the state of their mental health. Also, the waiting times for food deliveries from Tesco can be weeks. There are of course other places that do home deliveries, but they are not cheap. Clearly not everybody can afford these types of food deliveries. If you and all of your immediate social network are self-isolating, is it possible that you might feel the need to break the rules by nipping out for some food and other essentials?

The government website has a link to 'Charities that can help', but I am not sure how effective those charities can be. I understand there are some community support groups in Ramsey, but I am uncertain as to what is available in Douglas. Personally I beleive this type of support should primarily be provided by government/ local government, and that it is a strategic mistake for government to 'rely' on the goodwill of the third sector i.e. many people who work as volunteers are already stretched. Perhaps this is one of the reasons why Douglas has the highest rates of infection on the Island?

With regards to Panorama, although I found the S Korean's approach a bit too intrusive for my western sensitivities, the S Korean government's commitment to their people is excellent, as outlined by Gladys in their post. Our government could take the S Korea as an example from which to learn, and then create a system of reciprocal trust that works for all of us. 

I have been following MF for the CV past year it helps me deal with the situation l found myself in. 

My husband was diagnosed with cancer 2 years ago, he is now on palliative and life extending drugs, no cure. I have a condition which effects my nervous system. We have always worked and was saving for our travel plans for when we retired .

We are unable to get a internet shopping slot from Tesco,  l have been trying for the past year. One of us has to go once a fortnight and accept the risk. We cannot afford the other delivery options shopping as the food is too expensive.  Our income is less a quarter a month what one of us earned than what we earned previously for both of us, we have to regularly dip into our savings to keep us out the red, the heating bills are the worse as my husband feels the cold.

A week ago we both sat on our sofa and cried together with the situation we find ourselves in. 

We go out in our car every to get fresh air and a walk on a flat area as l cant walk up steps anymore, my husband is often in pain as his cancer effects his walking. 

I don't want your pity,  l just want people to understand how this could effect some people.  We are missing our grandchildren and our children, it's not possible to us to form the new bubble as Iom government suggests. 

Thank you MF

• Like 8
  • Thanks 12

9 minutes ago, Lilly said:

I have been following MF for the CV past year it helps me deal with the situation l found myself in. 

My husband was diagnosed with cancer 2 years ago, he is now on palliative and life extending drugs, no cure. I have a condition which effects my nervous system. We have always worked and was saving for our travel plans for when we retired .

We are unable to get a internet shopping slot from Tesco,  l have been trying for the past year. One of us has to go once a fortnight and accept the risk. We cannot afford the other delivery options shopping as the food is too expensive.  Our income is less a quarter a month what one of us earned than what we earned previously for both of us, we have to regularly dip into our savings to keep us out the red, the heating bills are the worse as my husband feels the cold.

A week ago we both sat on our sofa and cried together with the situation we find ourselves in. 

We go out in our car every to get fresh air and a walk on a flat area as l cant walk up steps anymore, my husband is often in pain as his cancer effects his walking. 

I don't want your pity,  l just want people to understand how this could effect some people.  We are missing our grandchildren and our children, it's not possible to us to form the new bubble as Iom government suggests. 

Thank you MF

This has made me sad. Very sad.

Thank you for sharing though & hoping things do get better soon.

Edited by Nom de plume
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Thank you MF

Have either of you had shielding letters? If so you can phone Tesco on line and set up access to their priority slots. They release slots up to 4 weeks ahead for priority slots. I think it’s only 3 weeks if you don’t have priority access.  They are 8 hour slots, 10-18 or 14-22. You get a phone call on the day of delivery just before your slot period giving you an accurate time window. I book a slot every week, for 4 weeks ahead. I put in the minimum order, as staples, bread, spuds, veg (£40). Then I edit in the 48 hours before delivery. That’s worked for me since May 2020.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Well, somebody's in deep shit now.

Having said that, if they were swimming off Laxey, they were in deep shit before too....

Screenshot_20210325-102039_Chrome.jpg

I expected after the shameful social media trolling by the police yesterday that the chief constable would be disciplining whoever was responsible for that post. But now they double-down on the foolish post by arresting to people to make it look valid.

Can we ever trust our government, the courts and the police after all this?

2 minutes ago, Declan said:

I expected after the shameful social media trolling by the police yesterday that the chief constable would be disciplining whoever was responsible for that post. But now they double-down on the foolish post by arresting to people to make it look valid.

I don't see what the police are doing wrong?

They could have arrested everyone there yesterday.  They had more than fair warning not to go back this morning.

They could have arrested everyone this morning but appear to have only gone for the organiser.

Personally I think they have been to lenient.

I said up thread I don't see a risk in what they were doing and that there is likely a benefit to them.  That is not the point.  There are lots of things I could do right now that would benefit me but I am not allowed (pub 😑)  Doesn't mean I agree with the regulations but I will stick to them as if people start bending them we might as well not bother and it puts the police in an impossible situation.

The rules are very clear.  Stay at home if at all possible and absolutely no meeting of others.

Not drive across the island at a pre arranged time to meet on a beach.  Either bang them all up or give us our lives back.  There can't be an in between 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Thank you MF

Go to helpout.im.  it is a charity formed last year that pairs volunteers with people who are shielding to do things like shopping. 

I volunteer, and have shopped for the couple during each lockdown.  They send me a shopping list for, say, Tesco, I say when I can go, do the shop and leave it at their doorstep and talk to them from the property boundary.  I leave the receipt in the bag and they transfer the cost to my bank account.  It works well.  There is help out there you just need to know where. 

• Like 9

The Laxey swim is going to divide opinion. I am one of those who has never agreed with criminal enforcement for lockdown breaches so I'm firmly on the side of The Laxey One. 

The lockdown should be guidance only, not law and not criminal. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Declan said:

Seems like you are part of the problem.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Declan said:

Fundamentally, the police were between a rock and a hard place here.

There's the mental health side, I see the heartless bastard point of view, but equally, there's the precedent that any action or inaction sets.

Yesterday, the police gave out a very clear warning that any gathering like that is illegal, and that they would respond appropriately if they happened again. It happens again and suddenly, the person(s) presumably organising it end up in trouble. You can't say the organiser didn't know the risks.

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, Howard the Duck MBE TBC said:

Precedents based on what we did last year to protect an island where we had no virus and no one vaccinated are out the window.

Those who need to be are vaccinated, Regardless  of what they say we are well and truly into the nice to have vaccination area now.  Most people I know going lately would have coped fine with COVID (a lot have probably had it)

What we did last year is irrelevant as it was a completely different risk profile.

People are vaccinated and the virus is here.  The last few weeks have shown it doesn't really impact most people who get it, certainly not to an extent that the current restrictions are appropriate.

Just give us our lives back.  So many people are completely broke and mentally realy struggling it is beyond a joke now.

Anyone else who wants to is welcome to shield for as long as they feel comfortable 

Legal precedents don't change unless the law changes. It hasn't. Thats what precedent means. Something that has happened before and is history. You cant change history. Much as I would like to agree with you, it's not that simple. Like I say, I pity the police and the courts but the only way to not enforce what is current law is for the law to change.

• Like 1