IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

4 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

It’s a bit different in the UK, stores there actively compete for market share,    Tesco would expand (they have tried) but aren’t allowed.

I know, but it's quite impressive how our stores have reorganised to get click & collect running with much higher capacity as well as more deliveries. At the very beginning I was going out for a couple of oldies...

• Like 1

Just now, GD4ELI said:

I know, but it's quite impressive how our stores have reorganised to get click & collect running with much higher capacity as well as more deliveries. At the very beginning I was going out for a couple of oldies...

I think the trouble is that we’ve been shortsighted in this third lockdown, we’re now programmed to think it’s only 3 weeks lockdown and then we carry on as normal, UK had no choice but to adapt and overcome when it quickly got out of control. 

26 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Ignoring the fact that "If you don't vaccinate us, we'll all go out and catch Covid"  might not be the most sensible position to take, they may well have problems with supply coming up.  The stock figure has reappeared on the dashboard (though with no better update schedule) and shows 12,862, lower than previously and NHS England has just issued a warning that supplies will be low next month and they will be concentrating on second doses. 

So it's unsurprising that the same will apply in the Island.  You can't vaccinate if you've got no vaccine and there's a danger that those who have already had the first jab will lose what immunity they have without a booster.  The faster you use vaccines up on first shots for the less vulnerable, the more likely this will happen and you could end up with a situation where there is a reduction in protection overall by the Summer..

It's true though that there has been an unwillingness to use outside help - something that is a chronic problem with the Manx civil service over recent years.. They'd rather screw something up than ask Manx people for help (non-Manx are acceptable providing they are paying a lot of money for them).  The real problem here is less about the vaccination process falling behind[1] because of this than about NHS and other government staff being diverted from other Covid-related work such as testing and contact tracing.

[1]  Which let's face it is actually a fairly easy thing to organise - look how many flu vaccines get given each year without all this fuss.

Great rant. BUT, what good are volunteers, in the circumstances we now face. Not even volunteers can inject the Covid jabs if we haven’t got the supply. It’s now approaching three weeks since they increased vaccination interval to 10 weeks ( two weeks for pfizer,  but they didn’t have any for first jabs in the week before).

That means that from next Monday they’ve got 7 weeks to deliver 17,000 doses to complete the vulnerable and 50+ cohorts. They’ve 12,000 doses in hand. So they only need another 5,000 to get there. Then they’ve got to deliver 32,500 second doses over the following 10 weeks.

Maybe, pragmatically, that’s why daily delivery rate has slowed. 

But it would be better to be open and transparent about it.

re your footnote. Annual flu jab is what, 10,000-15,000 doses spread over 3 months. Very different from 100,000 over 6 months.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Great rant. BUT, what good are volunteers, in the circumstances we now face. Not even volunteers can inject the Covid jabs if we haven’t got the supply. It’s now approaching three weeks since they increased vaccination interval to 10 weeks ( two weeks for pfizer,  but they didn’t have any for first jabs in the week before).

That means that from next Monday they’ve got 7 weeks to deliver 17,000 doses to complete the vulnerable and 50+ cohorts. They’ve 12,000 doses in hand. So they only need another 5,000 to get there. Then they’ve got to deliver 32,500 second doses over the following 10 weeks.

re your footnote. Annual flu jab is what, 10,000-15,000 doses spread over 3 months. Very different from 100,000 over 6 months.

This is correct. Ashford clearly stated in the briefing that there was no shortage of jabbers, only a shortage of doses. He also said they had enough staff to significantly increase the rate if more vaccines became available

7 minutes ago, John Wright said:

That means that from next Monday they’ve got 7 weeks to deliver 17,000 doses to complete the vulnerable and 50+ cohorts. They’ve 12,000 doses in hand. So they only need another 5,000 to get there. Then they’ve got to deliver 32,500 over the next 10 weeks.

re your footnote. Annual flu jab is what 10,000-15,000 doses spread over 3 months. Very different from 100,000 over 6 months.

John that was pretty much what I was saying in my first two paragraphs, that the reduction was caused by the supply problems.   As you say the real problem is that they seem unable to be transparent about this and much else.

They've actually now increased the gap to 12 weeks (which I think is pushing it for AZ and definitely wrong for Pfizer), though they are promising to honour second jab bookings as originally made for 3/4 weeks and then 10 weeks.

All people in Covid vaccine groups 1 to 6 inc qualify for free flu vaccines, so that's 32,747 people alone according to the dashboard.  and then there's additional groups such as pregnant women and (this year) under-11s plus those who pay for it or have their firm do so.  I'm not sure what the take-up rate is, but it may be a bigger operation than you think it is.

3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

John that was pretty much what I was saying in my first two paragraphs, that the reduction was caused by the supply problems.   As you say the real problem is that they seem unable to be transparent about this and much else.

They've actually now increased the gap to 12 weeks (which I think is pushing it for AZ and definitely wrong for Pfizer), though they are promising to honour second jab bookings as originally made for 3/4 weeks and then 10 weeks.

All people in Covid vaccine groups 1 to 6 inc qualify for free flu vaccines, so that's 32,747 people alone according to the dashboard.  and then there's additional groups such as pregnant women and (this year) under-11s plus those who pay for it or have their firm do so.  I'm not sure what the take-up rate is, but it may be a bigger operation than you think it is.

Take up is low, less than 50%

9 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Wouldn't it have been nice if DA or anyone really could just have been really clear about the stock in hand. Eg something like, According to the dashboard we have 12,500 vaccines in stock, obviously that was the figure from Monday and since then, we've delivered 2,500 and received a further 1,000 so the current stock is 11,000. Of those, 6000 are booked to be given out in the next 5 days as first doses. We need to keep 3000 vaccines to provide 2nd doses of pfizer next week in case of any delay to the delivery schedule.  That leaves us 2,000 doses which gives us a 2 day buffer. We expect another delivery of 4,000 by the end of this week so assuming that's received, we'll be using all 4000 as first doses in the first half of next week.

It would stop all the questioning around the stock in hand and help people feel like they actually know what they are doing!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

The truth is we don't really know the answer to that but it seems likely and also IMHO that it is a combination of the two and certainly not wholly down to the vaccine roll out.

Errrrm, we do know the answer?

The UK has locked down and the case numbers are dwindling. If they hadn't are you implying it was a waste of time?

The UK has vaccinated all the most vulnerable age groups and case numbers are tumbling. If they hadn't are you implying it was a waste of time?

I'm unsure where the uncertainty comes in?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Manx Yeller said:

Wouldn't it have been nice if DA or anyone really could just have been really clear about the stock in hand. Eg something like, According to the dashboard we have 12,500 vaccines in stock, obviously that was the figure from Monday and since then, we've delivered 2,500 and received a further 1,000 so the current stock is 11,000. Of those, 6000 are booked to be given out in the next 5 days as first doses. We need to keep 3000 vaccines to provide 2nd doses of pfizer next week in case of any delay to the delivery schedule.  That leaves us 2,000 doses which gives us a 2 day buffer. We expect another delivery of 4,000 by the end of this week so assuming that's received, we'll be using all 4000 as first doses in the first half of next week.

It would stop all the questioning around the stock in hand and help people feel like they actually know what they are doing!

Agree, except why have a buffer? If the 2nd jabs are already reserved why have a buffer for currently available stock? The jab can only be used once, saving it in case the boat doesn't go makes no sense. It needs to be in people's arms.

23 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

It's a combination of both. Don't be a pedantic 'tard.

What? Hardly anyone over there has had their second jab. Most whom have had their first jabs still have a limited amount of virus resistance building up. It is not quick. 

On the other hand, they have been in full lockdown for nearly 12 weeks, and the figures dropped because of that. 

Very little to do with vaccination

• Haha 1