IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

This actually has the potential to cause some real ill feeling in the community.

It is a difficult one because like a lot of other people I don't actually think there was any risk in what they were doing, but they have been sending people to prison and he had been warned so I don't see that they have an option but to bang him up.

For some strange reason society seemed accepting of ludicrous jail sentences last year.  This time he seems to have a lot of public support and people are rightly saying that jail would be a completely over the top response.  But if they don't then it makes a mockery of all the previous cases.

It will be interesting to see how it pans out especially when the inevitable Sun and Mail headlines appear over the weekend making us look totally backward.  Cue the UK press references to birching and homosexuality which are never good pr.  

• Like 1

I think they have to make an example of him. He was warned yesterday and he stuck up two fingers and went and did the same thing again the very next day. He’s either a total moron or a wanker. Either way he deserves everything he gets. My mental health would have been immeasurably improved over the last year by seeing my family. But I have sucked it up. Not broken the law. These people make me want to upchuck. 

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Howard the Duck MBE TBC said:

This actually has the potential to cause some real ill feeling in the community.

No ill feeling from me just support

For some strange reason society seemed accepting of ludicrous jail sentences last year. 

They weren’t  ludicrous, that’s why society accepted them.

This time he seems to have a lot of public support and people are rightly saying that jail would be a completely over the top response.  Don’t think so. Evidence?

It will be interestings to see how it pans out especially when the inevitable Sun and Mail headlines appear over the weekend making us look totally backward.  Cue the UK press references to birching and homosexuality which are never good pr.  

Actually this particular episode is good PR . Don’t think the UK press will mention homosexuality and birching issues, old irrelevant news. See  jet ski man and the support our government got from that . “Wish our government would take that stance” etc. 

20 minutes ago, Howard the Duck MBE TBC said:

It is a difficult one because like a lot of other people I don't actually think there was any risk in what they were doing, but they have been sending people to prison and he had been warned so I don't see that they have an option but to bang him up.

For some strange reason society seemed accepting of ludicrous jail sentences last year.  This time he seems to have a lot of public support and people are rightly saying that jail would be a completely over the top response.  But if they don't then it makes a mockery of all the previous cases.

It will be interesting to see how it pans out especially when the inevitable Sun and Mail headlines appear over the weekend making us look totally backward.  Cue the UK press references to birching and homosexuality which are never good pr.  

It will be interesting to see what happens. The laws now are different from those last year. 20 people going for a swim at the same time on the same beach is currently not illegal. Organising a gathering, as in 20 people getting together on the same beach at the same time, for a swim is illegal. 

• Like 1

Just now, Cambon said:

It will be interesting to see what happens. The laws now are different from those last year. 20 people going for a swim at the same time on the same beach is currently not illegal. Organising a gathering, as in 20 people getting together on the same beach at the same time, for a swim is illegal. 

Yes, I would be interested in exactly what the charge is, breaking covid rules won't cut it. 

So, if 20 people had turned up on Laxey beach entirely of their own volition would that be a gathering?  

What if they said "see you on Laxey beach tomorrow, at a distance so we can keep an eye out for each other and have a sense of communal enjoyment".   That then is a crime?

I don't know  I am on the fence a bit with this, but I would like to know exactly what the offence is. 

Meanwhile, we can have what appears to be breaches elsewhere which have actually resulted in infection, but no action taken. 

There is no consistency, and whether you consider him a twat or not, there are plenty of other very public instances where no action has been taken, after taking advice, apparently. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Yes, I would be interested in exactly what the charge is, breaking covid rules won't cut it. 

So, if 20 people had turned up on Laxey beach entirely of their own volition would that be a gathering?  

What if they said "see you on Laxey beach tomorrow, at a distance so we can keep an eye out for each other and have a sense of communal enjoyment".   That then is a crime?

I don't know  I am on the fence a bit with this, but I would like to know exactly what the offence is. 

Meanwhile, we can have what appears to be breaches elsewhere which have actually resulted in infection, but no action taken. 

There is no consistency, and whether you consider him a twat or not, there are plenty of other very public instances where no action has been taken, after taking advice, apparently. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Why wouldn’t breaking COVID rules cut it? It’s not like nobody knows what the rules are, such gatherings are a criminal offence and those committing the offence should expect to be dealt with accordingly.No fences to be sat on. Just because others may have got away with breaches it doesn’t mean they should be excused

Where there is a degree of ambiguity then maybe “education “ is appropriate in the first instance, with enforcement to follow on a second occasion. But that’s not the case here

2 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Why wouldn’t breaking COVID rules cut it? It’s not like nobody knows what the rules are, such gatherings are a criminal offence and those committing the offence should expect to be dealt with accordingly.No fences to be sat on. Just because others may have got away with breaches it doesn’t mean they should be excused

Where there is a degree of ambiguity then maybe “education “ is appropriate in the first instance, with enforcement to follow on a second occasion. But that’s not the case here

Because there has to be specificy as to which rules are broken.  Was it a gathering? Do we know what a gathering is? Does a gathering need to have common intent, or organisation?  They are not the same thing. 

Like I say, I am on the fence, but taking a completely pragmatic view, the likely risk was minimal and it does appear draconian. 

The situation was always going to end badly when the police waded in with the first of the four Es yesterday.  If he was sensible, he would have kept away. But he didn't, and to a degree,  in the absence of clarity, perhaps he was perfectly within the law.  Perhaps the police were exceeding their powers, or the powers they were acting under were invalid.

It is all a bit vague, inconsistent and hypocritical.

• Like 5