IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

7 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

This is why I'm on the fence on this. But leaning towards he knew what he was doing was wrong and a form of protest. 

If this went unpunished, then what's stop anyone posting on Facebook "I'm off to Xxxx for a walk every day at 9am and I'm going to be doing xxxx to help with mental health", then all their mates turn up?

I'd love to go out and have a walk with my family or friends but I don't because I know I can't right now. Just be patient.

What he claims to be doing to aid mental health is destroying the mental health of those who have been law abiding and staying at home, possibly alone. They just want it over as quickly as possible.

I get that entirely.  In truth, my own view is that it was stupid, but did it pose a real risk?  Probably not. 

I understand also that it needed to be jumped on pretty quickly.  But a deeper concern is that it was jumped on because of the publicity rather than the real risk. Also, if he was committing an offence  then surely all involved were too?

It just sends out the wrong message to me.  It may send out the right message to others, but really wouldn't an on the spot fine of all present be better? 

To be honest, I would be much happier if people like Roxanne felt able to have their dip (although Lord knows why, but she says it is beneficial) with others around for their own safety.  

It is the mixed messages being sent that is a concern - what about the individuals who turned up at work with symptoms, has any action been taken against them or their employers?  A far bigger risk there. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I get that entirely.  In truth, my own view is that it was stupid, but did it pose a real risk?  Probably not. 

I understand also that it needed to be jumped on pretty quickly.  But a deeper concern is that it was jumped on because of the publicity rather than the real risk. Also, if he was committing an offence  then surely all involved were too?

It just sends out the wrong message to me.  It may send out the right message to others, but really wouldn't an on the spot fine of all present be better? 

To be honest, I would be much happier if people like Roxanne felt able to have their dip (although Lord knows why, but she says it is beneficial) with others around for their own safety.  

It is the mixed messages being sent that is a concern - what about the individuals who turned up at work with symptoms, has any action been taken against them or their employers?  A far bigger risk there. 

Was there a real risk when that woman stopped for petrol? When the welders went into spar with masks on?

Is there a risk if I meet my sister in the park tomorrow for a socially distanced walk?

They set a stupid precedence with jailing people so now they can't really go back on that can they? Especially when the bloke has had a warning.

• Like 1

It's a fairly large group of people, a gathering. Mixing close together.

They may be big and tough and hardy souls with super dooper immune systems (as some of them believe) and think the rules shouldn't and don't apply to them. 

But that aside, they can still catch the virus, can still spread it when they go shopping or whatever.

There is no justification for their behaviour. Big tough scouser guys with fuckwit dogs and shouting about pedos.

There's a pandemic going on. Isle of Man is in the shit and we're all trying to get out of it. There will be plenty of times for cavorting on beaches once we have achieved that.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Barlow said:

It's a fairly large group of people, a gathering. Mixing close together.

They may be big and tough and hardy souls with super dooper immune systems (as some of them believe) and think the rules shouldn't and don't apply to them. 

But that aside, they can still catch the virus, can still spread it when they go shopping or whatever.

There is no justification for their behaviour. Big tough scouser guys with fuckwit dogs and shouting about pedos.

There's a pandemic going on. Isle of Man is in the shit and we're all trying to get out of it. There will be plenty of times for cavorting on beaches once we have achieved that.

Yes, there is a pandemic and, yes, we aren't doing too well, but that isn't down to people swimming in the sea, is it?

I doubt the swimmers thought they were tough guys, just wanted to do something that makes them feel better.  I don't get that, but there again not many people would understand the little things we all do that make us feel better.  

I doubt that the guy with the dog was a swimmer, however. 

28 minutes ago, Gladys said:

It's making me feel so conflicted. It's horrible. The bit I really hate is the people with the phones taking videos. If he is all about what he says he's about then I'm pretty sure he'd not like the way they've acted. Those others that are there are purely there for a political agenda.

As for the covid in the workplace, is there a law against that? That's the confusing and rather strange part of this. I have friends who openly go in to work because they just don't like working at home. Their employer doesn't care. Whereas mine has basically said everyone out (quite rightly) unless there are compelling reasons why they can't work at home.

The other thing we have to remember is we've had it easy. My family in the UK live 40 miles apart but apart from Christmas day for a few hours, they've virtually not seen them for a year.

These people might feel they're making things better but it's creating a bigger divide. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Yes, there is a pandemic and, yes, we aren't doing too well, but that isn't down to people swimming in the sea, is it?

I doubt the swimmers thought they were tough guys, just wanted to do something that makes them feel better.  I don't get that, but there again not many people would understand the little things we all do that make us feel better.  

I doubt that the guy with the dog was a swimmer, however. 

They were specifically told not to do it.  Fucking idiots.

I've got a pretty big garden.  Can I have 10 people round to do yoga if we are socially distanced?

• Like 7

Noted all the above. Remember Black Lives Matter? It was organised and a gathering.

Now I agree that this clown shouldn't have done what he done but its no different to the BLM protest,or am I missing something?

• Like 5

1 minute ago, piebaps said:

Noted all the above. Remember Black Lives Matter? It was organised and a gathering.

Now I agree that this clown shouldn't have done what he done but its no different to the BLM protest,or am I missing something?

There were protests going on all over the world. The police took that into account, and set out guidelines. The organisers engaged with police and got their agreement. Plus there were almost zero cases at the time and we were partially out of lockdown if I remember as it was 2 June? So I'm not sure you can compare the two?

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I have friends go swimming in the sea. I get it.

It must be great and well done to them. But this was an act of defiance.

99.9% of the Island are working together. Stay at home, unless it is absolutely essential.

I tell you what I do for a social activity. It makes me feel fucking great. It lets me meet new people. I listen to good music. It stops me being alone. It is really, really good. And it is ace for my MH (Mental Health that stands for - the new get out of jail free card).

And that's going down to the pub.

My local usually has less people in it than were in the group on Laxey Beach. And is rarely as closely distanced as that lot.

Have I whinged like a bastard because I can't go out to play? Along with just about the rest of the Island? No, we go with it, because we realise the world, most particularly in a pandemic, isn't all about me, me, me.

There you go. Where's my shit and syphilus.

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 2