IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 minute ago, Howard the Duck MBE TBC said:

I don't need protecting from standing a few metres away from my mate and going for a walk and a chat thanks.

None of us do.

Some idiot commented on fb that this swimming was particularly high risk because the wind meant the germs spread further.  Its blowing a hooly outside ours right now and yet legally I can't go next door and chat to my neighbour in the garden.  Its insane.

Not saying you do but if you make that choice then get a warning would you continue?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CallMeCurious said:

Not saying you do but if you make that choice then get a warning would you continue?

No because I am a good boy.

I haven't done anything I shouldn't I think I was the only one in our family now in my Mums bad books because I didn't drop a mothers day gift on the doorstep.  It wasn't essential and we were asked not to so I didn't.

Doesn't mean I don't think the current level of restrictions is insane through given the levels of infection and the current risk.  No wonder people are getting fed up.

Anyway must go.  I have precisely nothing to do and nowhere to go. Maybe I should do a click and collect from B&Q and drive across the island get some DIY stuff and a coffee.  

• Like 2

again the problem was instead of doing it on the quiet with a few friends which may have garnered a few tuts and some disgruntled curtain twitching he had to go on facebook and spaff it all over social media, with an added fuck you i am doing it anyway to the authorities.

i don't particularly agree with the restrictions but this muppet was warned and did it anyway and therefore will have to deal with the consequences.

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

All the issues you raise are very valid. However, like everything else, there has to be an order of things. For me, the law comes first. Just because you disagree with the law, think it his ill conceived or wrong, doesn't mean that you can ignore it without potential consequence.

Society gives us ways that we can get rid of bad laws or have ammendments and exemptions made to them.

In this case, I cannot see that any attempt to lobby for a change was made and none was obviously granted.

Of course the law is often broken with good intentions, moving carefully over a red traffic signal to let an ambulance or fire vehicle on blue lights pass being one example where you would likely be assessed to have acted appropriately.

In this case the guy was warned the previous day it was unacceptable. The mental health issues he was espousing as justification are hardly an equivalent acute force majeure with equal weight to the red light scenario I mentioned above.

My opinion is that whilst the act of swimming in the sea in itself bears very little risk, it was a deliberate act of subversion after being warned the day before.

That is not acceptable and he deserves what's coming

The only addendum I would like to add to the above, is that at the moment the usual checks and balances when it comes to law making ‘feel’ as if they have been watered down to the point that they are impotent. In a UK context if you hold  a different opinion on the restrictions being imposed, you struggle to find an influential voice (yesterday’s extension to the UK emergency powers as an example). The main stream media, or indeed the parties of opposition do not appear to question anything. It is not surprising that people who hold other view push back. I do not condone law breaking, or necessarily agree with this chaps methods and assertions, but I understand the frustration felt by many.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, The Chief said:

again the problem was instead of doing it on the quiet with a few friends which may have garnered a few tuts and some disgruntled curtain twitching he had to go on facebook and spaff it all over social media, with an added fuck you i am doing it anyway to the authorities.

i don't particularly agree with the restrictions but this muppet was warned and did it anyway and therefore will have to deal with the consequences.

If you read the inevitable press coverage that will hit the UK tomorrow if he gets jail, and it was gibralter or somewhere would you think.

a - well done them. I would love to live somewhere that jails someone for that.

b - bloody hell, what a warped little country that the police got involved at all, never mind the fact that they jailed him rather than a fine.

Edited by Howard the Duck MBE TBC
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

There were protests going on all over the world. The police took that into account, and set out guidelines. The organisers engaged with police and got their agreement. Plus there were almost zero cases at the time and we were partially out of lockdown if I remember as it was 2 June? So I'm not sure you can compare the two?

Fair point Cap'n. But we were either out or we weren't. The police didn't allow it to go ahead because the law said it was legal. They basically turned a blind eye instead of having to do something difficult. We're all over the Chief Secretary about the Steamy but the Chief Constable is also choosing which laws to enforce.

If this dickhead is going to cop it for arranging an open air swim then the BLM organizers should too.

I'll probably be labelled a racist now too.:D

Edited by piebaps

5 minutes ago, piebaps said:

Fair point Cap'n. But we were either out or we weren't. The police didn't allow it to go ahead because the law said it was legal. They basically turned a blind eye instead of having to do something difficult. We're all over the Chief Secretary about the Steamy but the Chief Constable is also choosing which laws to enforce.

If this dickhead is going to cop it for arranging an open air swim then the BLM organizers should too.

I'll probably be labelled a racist now too.:D

Agree 100%, but would go further and say that the CC did not turn a blind eye, he positively supported and facilitated it. 

• Like 2

This could be very useful in allowing opening up & travel worldwide, pity we don’t have testing at ports like some jurisdictions!

09:12

facemask.png?bypass-service-worker

UK regulator approves 20-second coronavirus test which could be used in airports and sports venues 

In the latest technological step forward, a COVID-19 test that takes just seconds has been approved by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA). 

The Virolens test, made by British start-up iAbra and TT Electronics, uses swabs of saliva and trials have shown it is highly accurate. 

Trials indicated the test has 98.1% sensitivity, meaning it returns few false negatives, and 99.7% specificity, meaning few false positives.

It was trialled at Heathrow Airport and will now be launching with immediate effect, rolling out further in the coming months. 

3 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Agree 100%, but would go further and say that the CC did not turn a blind eye, he positively supported and facilitated it. 

Ya big racist. Just make sure you get the greeks. They invented gayness:D

When the Police are issued with powers & direction to fish swimmers out of the sea & throw them in a prison cell for the night, you should finally realise the madness of the entire situation.

It is frankly embarrassing to our Island. Society, the Government, authority & the media have lost all semblance of normality.

If this is to be the ‘new normal’ - stop the fucking world, I’m stepping off.

Edited by Nom de plume
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Banker said:

This could be very useful in allowing opening up & travel worldwide, pity we don’t have testing at ports like some jurisdictions!

09:12

facemask.png?bypass-service-worker

UK regulator approves 20-second coronavirus test which could be used in airports and sports venues 

In the latest technological step forward, a COVID-19 test that takes just seconds has been approved by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA). 

The Virolens test, made by British start-up iAbra and TT Electronics, uses swabs of saliva and trials have shown it is highly accurate. 

Trials indicated the test has 98.1% sensitivity, meaning it returns few false negatives, and 99.7% specificity, meaning few false positives.

It was trialled at Heathrow Airport and will now be launching with immediate effect, rolling out further in the coming months. 

Agree test at entry and if it is positive what happens? Like Guernsey you have to quarantine in a hotel at your own cost? Bit risky.

3 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

When the Police are issued with powers & direction to fish swimmers out of the sea & throw them in a prison cell for the night, you should finally realise the madness of the entire situation.

It is frankly embarrassing to our Island. Society, the Government, authority & the media have lost all semblance of normality.

If this is to be the ‘new normal’ - stop the fucking world, I’m stepping off.

Enforcement was actively encouraged yesterday by CM as was the questioning of bus passengers as to why they want to use bus!

22 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

The only addendum I would like to add to the above, is that at the moment the usual checks and balances when it comes to law making ‘feel’ as if they have been watered down to the point that they are impotent. In a UK context if you hold  a different opinion on the restrictions being imposed, you struggle to find an influential voice (yesterday’s extension to the UK emergency powers as an example). The main stream media, or indeed the parties of opposition do not appear to question anything. It is not surprising that people who hold other view push back. I do not condone law breaking, or necessarily agree with this chaps methods and assertions, but I understand the frustration felt by many.

I think you hit the nail on the head here, there are unhappy people and nobody in power is holding anyone to account. Howard and COMIN just seem to put together rules and no questions asked. 

• Like 3