IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

15 minutes ago, Banker said:

They are open, they convicted the guy who turned up drunk at test centre looking for a vaccinations 

He pleaded guilty, remotely, by video link. They aren’t open in any normal sense of the word normal.

Mr Life coach Wim Hoff appeared remotely and pleased not guilty. Even in normal times that requires an adjournment, disclosure of evidence advice from an advocate, and a hearing date setting. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Banker said:

They are open, they convicted the guy who turned up drunk at test centre looking for a vaccinations 

he appeared via video link as did the swimming guy, I am guessing he pleaded guilty so was sentenced the swimming guy didn't so it needs to be adjourned 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Banker said:

Dr Glover is appearing before PAC on 1st April on the subject on genomic sequencing, think this is a result of Tynwald motion. It would normally be in public but obviously now remotely but maybe broadcast live?

Ok thanks. As I said, I didn't catch the whole item. I'll have to listen again at 1pm.  

"Legal aid was granted"

Jeez, so we are all paying for him to argue that he didn't understand what he was doing as well.

Good news for governemnt though.  By the time it gets back to court hopefully things will be back to normal and people will have forgotten and they will just let him off quietly with the whole debacle having cost the tax payer tens of thousands of pounds in police time, court time, prosecution time, and apparently we are paying for his defence as well.

You couldn't make this stuff up.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Howard the Duck MBE TBC said:

"Legal aid was granted"

Jeez, so we are all paying for him to argue that he didn't understand what he was doing as well.

Good news for governemnt though.  By the time it gets back to court hopefully things will be back to normal and people will have forgotten and they will just let him off quietly with the whole debacle having cost the tax payer tens of thousands of pounds in police time, court time, prosecution time, and apparently we are paying for his defence as well.

You couldn't make this stuff up.

Apparently his supporters aimed a torrent of abuse at the police, should have chucked them in wagon as well 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/man-pleads-not-guilty-to-covid-breach-over-laxey-beach-gathering/

The swimmer didn't give his consent to be arrested so that's alright then.

Be reasonably amusing if he gets jailed when we're out of lockdown.

These rules are stupid and the vigour with which they are so enthusiastically enforced is disgusting, but sadly they are the rules and if you're going to be a dick about it it shouldn't take you by surprise when thy're a dick back.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Dunno why they're dragging this out a month.

Why not just put him up against the wall and get it over and done with?

Johnson and Mr Toad seem to be able to govern by diktat and 'the people', judging by the majority here, are more than happy to sit back, don their face-nappies and see nothing wrong with having their way-of-life as of 12 months ago kicked into a distant memory; and still they cry for more border control, stricter lockdowns.

If 'they' can get away with all this measures will be escalated and YOUR freedoms will either be granted or witheld at the whim of a government official.

It is on record that SAGE didn't think  a lockdown was possible in a 'free' society - and yet it's been embraced by the 'as long as it keeps us safe' brigade, the same idiots who are happy to be treated as a closet terrorist every time they (used) to board an aircraft.

We are at the tip of a very dangerous wedge so if you are happy to be let out once-a-week to vist the supermarket then you are already well-suited for life  in the the future dictatorship.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

The top two at the SPC are retiring in July. Wonder when the enquiry will be

I wondered the same when I heard about the retirements. Also, they were said to be "stepping down" which struck me as a bit odd if they were actually retiring. Stepping down brings to mind resignation rather than retirement. Imo anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Zarley said:

I wondered the same when I heard about the retirements. Also, they were said to be "stepping down" which struck me as a bit odd if they were actually retiring. Stepping down brings to mind resignation rather than retirement. Imo anyway. 

They’re retiring, probably in their 60s,

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.energyfm.net/cms/news_story_amp_671144.html

2 hours ago, Roxanne said:

If we're being honest - which of the two scenarios is the more serious?  Which of the two should result in a stronger case of retribution and accountability?

Given the history, who would you imprison first? Who would get the longer sentence?

Howard or Ian?

This is why people are fed up.  They are seeing this inequality over and over again. One rule for one and one rule for another. If our government got their house in order and behaved to the letter of the law and took the blame for the times when they have not, I think you'd find there would be a far higher level of compliance at every level.

I am not a judge so I don't know. But I think JW's post makes it clear. Time to let it go.😀

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Banker said:

They’re retiring, probably in their 60s,

Not sure about Watt, but Woodward left school in 1981 according to Linkedin, so probably only late 50s.  But in any case you wouldn't expect both to be retiring at the same time, a commercial company would have better succession planning and announcements would be made more than 3 months in advance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Howard the Duck MBE TBC said:

people will have forgotten and they will just let him off quietly with the whole debacle having cost the tax payer tens of thousands of pounds in police time, court time, prosecution time, and apparently we are paying for his defence as well.

That sounds like a case for removing hundreds of low value, non personal crimes from the statute books?

Many would start with cannabis use, how about overstaying your parking by a short time?

• Like 1