IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

10 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Why is a person who has sadly died in hospital being reported?

They would probably be picked up on it at some point because there are plenty of people that study the numbers closely. If the number of active cases dropped by one without the number of recovered or died going up, someone would notice it!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Howard the Duck MBE TBC said:

Scaremongering.  Got to keep spreading that fear to justify the restrictions.

Away with you. If they were scaremongering they wouldn't have made it clear that covid wasn't the primary cause of death. 

I'm sure having covid probably didn't help though.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Newbie said:

They would probably be picked up on it at some point because there are plenty of people that study the numbers closely. If the number of active cases dropped by one without the number of recovered or died going up, someone would notice it!

Actually, the "recovered" number and "deaths" number are the same as yesterday. The "active" number increased by six, which is the same number as the "new cases" number. 

Maybe they're planning on accounting for the recent death tomorrow after someone has fiddled with the software to provide the new category. Or whatever it is that IT geeks do. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Chief said:

i can't tell if you are trolling or just ignorant of the reasoning behind whats been going on for the last 12 months since you seem to think that the health service has been on an extended holidays during the pandemic.

Sorry, you are misunderstanding me. I'm saying the health service have coped easily with the number of covid patients in both waves, and have the capacity to work with a few covid patients alongside the regular patients. 

I thought the only reason to lockdown was to protect the health service, and this is easily possible with the current vaccination level.

Just want to say, the health service and especially all the nurses do a brilliant job.

• Like 1

Can you imagine how it would have been if we hadn't entered this or previous lockdowns though? Because the virus was loose in the community for a week or so, there were 24 in hospital with 4 in ICU, all of that with circa 1000 cases. If we'd let the virus spread freely, tens of thousands would have been infected in short order, hundreds would have been in hospital and to put it bluntly, we would have been well and truly fu**ed.

I think this latest outbreak was just about as big as we could have coped without serious consequences to the ability to give care.

Edited by madmanxpilot
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Then you announce the retirement further in advance and/or give notice of replacements.  If this was a normal company having the 'retirements' of your CEO and your Commercial Director happening at the same time would cause all sorts of market ructions.  If only because it's not much of a lead in to recruit two new people to take over, even in normal times.

Whether they jumped or were pushed is another issue.  The statement from the Steam Packet might hint at jumping, perhaps triggered by the behaviour of the Government over the latest Covid fiasco.  Trying to run a company when the main aim of the effective owners is to save their own face (rather than safety or effectiveness) might be getting a bit wearing.

That's up there.  Where to start.

Actually, not worth it.  

28 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

Can you imagine how it would have been if we hadn't entered this or previous lockdowns though? Because the virus was loose in the community for a week or so, there were 24 in hospital with 4 in ICU, all of that with circa 1000 cases. If we'd let the virus spread freely, tens of thousands would have been infected in short order, hundreds would have been in hospital and to put it bluntly, we would have been well and truly fu**ed.

I think this latest outbreak was just about as big as we could have coped without serious consequences to the ability to give care.

Maybe, but on the flip side  (this is controversial) by last summer those who were going to die would have died and the rest of us would have built up herd Immunity and been able to live our lives again.

There is no right or wrong way of having dealt with this, but the restrictions in place right here and right now given the vaccination progress seem over the top to me.

2 hours ago, Zarley said:

Actually, the "recovered" number and "deaths" number are the same as yesterday. The "active" number increased by six, which is the same number as the "new cases" number. 

Maybe they're planning on accounting for the recent death tomorrow after someone has fiddled with the software to provide the new category. Or whatever it is that IT geeks do. 

They did say the data would be adjusted, so I guess they will do that at some stage, but if they hadn't mentioned it, someone would have spotted it.

Edited by Newbie

29 minutes ago, Howard the Duck MBE TBC said:

Maybe, but on the flip side  (this is controversial) by last summer those who were going to die would have died and the rest of us would have built up herd Immunity and been able to live our lives again.

There is no right or wrong way of having dealt with this, but the restrictions in place right here and right now given the vaccination progress seem over the top to me.

Ah, so if we'd had armageddon last year and let the unfortunates perish we'd be OK now? I see your logic, but I think saying it is a controversial idea is just a tiny bit of an understatement!

Edited by madmanxpilot
  • Like 2