IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

U.K. motoring along nicely & the 21st June is the day. Everything open, zero restrictions.

Looking forward to watching them jetting away on their holidays, hugging their families, drinking in their beer gardens & visiting all four corners of the British Isles.

Meanwhile .....

“Well, good afternoon everyone ..... the Council of Ministers sat down this morning & agreed we’re not quite ready to relax restrictions just yet”

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

Unless it's made mandatory and part of their licence I cant see pubs turning away paying customers after the year they've just had.

If I were a landlord, I would insist that all my staff were vaccinated, then allow all punters in. For sporting events, pretty much the same. People have to understand that you get vaccinated to protect yourself. Nobody else. If you decide not to be vaccinated it is your choice. Your risk if you want to go to the pub or a sporting event. It is your decision if you want to fly or not. Airlines want the vaccination passport so they can cram their planes full. No other reason. 

15 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

U.K. motoring along nicely & the 21st June is the day. Everything open, zero restrictions.

Looking forward to watching them jetting away on their holidays, hugging their families, drinking in their beer gardens & visiting all four corners of the British Isles.

Meanwhile .....

“Well, good afternoon everyone ..... the Council of Ministers sat down this morning & agreed we’re not quite ready to relax restrictions just yet”

Won't happen. They have already extended the emergency powers for another six months and warned the vaccination program is going to be delayed by up to a month due the EU dictatorship. 

Edited by Cambon
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Cambon said:

I do not see! What is the point? 

Like Gib, if everyone (ish) is vaccinated, why? 

Its going to have to be repeated once or twice a year would be my take on the situation especially now UK are saying they are ready to "Top Up" over 70s in September

19 minutes ago, Cambon said:

If I were a landlord, I would insist that all my staff were vaccinated, then allow all punters in. For sporting events, pretty much the same. People have to understand that you get vaccinated to protect yourself. Nobody else. If you decide not to be vaccinated it is your choice. Your risk if you want to go to the pub or a sporting event. It is your decision if you want to fly or not. Airlines want the vaccination passport so they can cram their planes full. No other reason. 

Not true. This is why anti-vaxxers are selfish and downright dangerous.

While the first benefit is to yourself, there is a very important benefit to the wider community.

From the WHO:

When a person gets vaccinated against a disease, their risk of infection is also reduced – so they’re also less likely to transmit the virus or bacteria to others. As more people in a community get vaccinated, fewer people remain vulnerable, and there is less possibility for an infected person to pass the pathogen on to another person. Lowering the possibility for a pathogen to circulate in the community protects those who cannot be vaccinated (due to health conditions, like allergies, or their age) from the disease targeted by the vaccine.

'Herd immunity', also known as 'population immunity', is the indirect protection from an infectious disease that happens when immunity develops in a population either through vaccination or through previous infection. Herd immunity does not mean unvaccinated or individuals who have not previously been infected are themselves immune. Instead, herd immunity exists when individuals who are not immune, but live in a community with a high proportion of immunity, have a reduced risk of disease as compared to non-immune individuals living in a community with a small proportion of immunity. 

In communities with high immunity, the non-immune people have a lower risk of disease than they otherwise would, but their reduced risk results from the immunity of people in the community in which they are living (i.e. herd immunity) not because they are personally immune. Even after herd immunity is first reached and a reduced risk of disease among unimmunized people is observed, this risk will keep falling if vaccination coverage continues to increase. When vaccine coverage is very high, the risk of disease among those who are non-immune can become similar to those who are truly immune.

Edited by Zarley
Spilling
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Cambon said:

People have to understand that you get vaccinated to protect yourself. Nobody else. If you decide not to be vaccinated it is your choice. Your risk if you want to go to the pub or a sporting event. It is your decision if you want to fly or not. 

Not true. The world health organisation have declared "vaccine hesitancy" one of the ten biggest threats to global human health. 

There are so many idiots who know better than doctors, scientists and health experts that vaccine  hesitancy is actually threatening to undo the progress made in tackling many preventable diseases. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Vaccination passports are a silly idea because vaccination doesn't protect you from catching and spreading the disease.  It certainly seems to reduce the risk but not to a negligible level.  The Pfizer vaccine maybe reduces by 80% AZ by about 67%, but that still leaves a lot of vaccinated people who will get the disease.  And the very fact that the vaccines are more effective in reducing symptoms and harm will make those cases more likely to be asymptomatic spreaders.

Vaccination doesn't even guarantee complete protection.  Malta yesterday reported that six fully vaccinated people had died with the disease.

22 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Won't happen. They have already extended the emergency powers for another six months and warned the vaccination program is going to be delayed by up to a month due the EU dictatorship. 

I think you’ll be proved wrong as you usually are, all in track in UK & all UK AZ vaccinations are manufactured in UK

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56544236

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Banker said:

I think you’ll be proved wrong as you usually are, all in track in UK & all UK AZ vaccinations are manufactured in UK

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56544236

There are people walking around the UK, and probably the IOM, with AZ vaccine made in India. The Indian Government have blocked further exports to the UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/56483766

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

This link to a different article may work better:

AstraZeneca Vax Flops Against South African Variant in Early Trial

and has a  link to the actual paper.  As with previous reports on the AZ trials the problem is that the lack of participants over 65 makes it difficult to see if it still prevents serious disease with this variant.

• Thanks 1