IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

35 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I disagree.  If, like most, you think that vaccinating as many people as possible is a good thing, then introducing ‘passports’ will act as a nudge for people to get jabbed.  Those that are currently ambivalent/apathetic will go get one.  Those refusing because they’re in the tinfoil hat brigade - well that’s their problem.  As long as there’s an official exemption scheme for those genuinely unable to have the vaccine - but there will be very few people in that category.

Do you have any solutions to getting humanity out of this, accepting that none of the vaccines are ever going to be 100%, and that it’s inevitable that we all die of something, some day?

But is there any evidence that there is substantial resistance to vaccination and that vaccine passports will overcome this?  We do need to find out who is not getting vaccinated, but I suspect poor admin, poor communication, disengagement and cynicism about government will be more important and not overcome by giving a bit of paper to wave.

The tinfoil hat brigade will  either stage confrontations about not being able to do things or buy fake ones off the internet.  The people who are demanding them  seem to also be the people who want to be at the head of the vaccination queue (and this will increase those demands) and then feel they should be allowed to do everything and everything should be open within a minute of them having their first jab.  Certification will actively undermine all other anti-Covid measures ("We don't need to do this now") and when things start going wrong they will blame everyone except themselves and there will be an undermining of vaccination in principle.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pongo said:

You only have to look at the share prices of airlines and holiday groups to know which of us is right. And those took a further big hit this week.

That entire sector is on hold.

Wait until Boris announcement in April then comment, 3 cruise companies starting in UK May, various US ones commencing June. Get your vaccinations passport!

2 hours ago, Banker said:

This is from Thursday, CM answering questions , note 6th April was only 12 days away with community cases still. He mentioned construction etc in answer.

When will the lockdown end?

Too early. We might be able to make some modest changes around 6th April if we don’t get more community spread. 

Is that the end of lockdown? NO! 

Just now, Banker said:

Wait until Boris announcement in April then comment, 3 cruise companies starting in UK May, various US ones commencing June. Get your vaccinations passport!

I'm not part of the elderly cruise ship market.

2 hours ago, Banker said:

Dr A has already said schools will open for all 12th April and sone mitigation may be used if appropriate at the time, I expect construction, garden centers & outside meetings from 6th April unless major uplift in unexplained cases.

hospitality won’t open until at least 19/04 as he will want to follow his mates in Guernsey who opened hospitality 2 weeks after schools returned 

So you are now saying it will be at least 21 days until the end of lockdown! Make up your mind! 

4 minutes ago, pongo said:

UK govt continues to warn people not to book foreign holidays.

Britons face £5,000 fine for breaching foreign holiday ban under new Covid laws coming into force next week - Evening Standard

That's been brought in to keep people in  the uk and spend their money there. 

Police have come out and said they wont be arresting people. Loads of ways around it just say you're going house hunting 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Banker said:

Getting desperate now!! Wait until the announcement in April then you can hide in bunker 

I'm neutral. But honestly I don't understand what your big hurry is.

Most sensible people are not going to be booking foreign holidays this year. Even with any speculative announcement in April, everyone knows that there is a considerable risk of travel then being cancelled at short notice.

Edited by pongo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Cambon said:

Won't happen. They have already extended the emergency powers for another six months and warned the vaccination program is going to be delayed by up to a month due the EU dictatorship. 

Nope. Nothing to do with 'the EU dictatorship'. Most of the AZ vaccine used in the UK is manufactured in India. Turns out they need it themselves. There's no doubt that the 'EU dictatorship' have made a total horse's arse of their vaccine procurement, but that's compounded by Astra Zeneca not supplying what they were contracted to supply. 

16 minutes ago, pongo said:

I'm neutral. But honestly I don't understand what your big hurry is.

Most sensible people are not going to be booking foreign holidays this year. Even with any speculative announcement in April, everyone knows that there is a considerable risk of travel then being cancelled at short notice.

If the vast majority are vaccinated what's the risk?